Hay guyz, this is the "late to the party" thread!

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
So typically with me, you know I get to albums many many moons after everyone else already has. Mostly because I listen to music in a cyclical fashion (Zod calls it my fall/winter morbid football season metal kick, lol), and partially because I simply buy more than there is time to actually listen and absorb.

But fuck it, yeah?

So anyway, what have you just discovered, or recently re-discovered as it may be?

For me, these albums are shredding my innards lately:

Shining - III Angst (okay, why didn't anyone tell me they fucking own?)
Taake - ...Bjoergvin... (yeah, yeah, I know, they have been critical darlings forever & a day, but holy shit this might be one of the greatest black metal albums I've ever heard)
Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star (one emotion = :OMG:, i.e. holy bejeesus)
Woods Of Ypres - Against The Seasons (I think this is another RC forum darling, but wow I was NOT prepared for how ass-kicking this EP is)
YOB - The Illusion Of Motion (um, is this as good as I think it is? wow)
Hammers Of Misfortune - The Bastard (I won't even comment, Ali is laughing at me right now)
Windir - Arntor (well I knew the band ruled, I just didn't know HOW MUCH THIS FUCKING ALBUM DID)

Discuss

Good thread. Let me think some, but in the meantime....

Taake - ...Bjoergvin... (yeah, yeah, I know, they have been critical darlings forever & a day, but holy shit this might be one of the greatest black metal albums I've ever heard)

welcome to the Taake party, although, Nattestid is supposedly even better.

Woods Of Ypres - Against The Seasons (I think this is another RC forum darling, but wow I was NOT prepared for how ass-kicking this EP is)

Well, yeah. Very strong chances of them playing HC3 (if HC3 happens)

Hammers Of Misfortune - The Bastard (I won't even comment, Ali is laughing at me right now)

no soup for you

Windir - Arntor (well I knew the band ruled, I just didn't know HOW MUCH THIS FUCKING ALBUM DID)

I like it, but their debut rules supreme for me. Plus I like Likferd and the polished stuff they put together like "Fagning", the early signs of things to come with Vreid.

there's so much info spilling forth from this post, I'll have to go over it again & again in the coming weeks just to make sure I digest it all

simple really. i love funeral's "from these wounds" from this year and decided to try some music similar to it ie doom/death with clean vocals. i decided on MDB and re-discovered this awesome band. TLTW, 34% Complete, TLATEOTW, Trinity, and SOngs of Darkness are the best IMO.

simple really. i love funeral's "from these wounds" from this year and decided to try some music similar to it ie doom/death with clean vocals. i decided on MDB and re-discovered this awesome band. TLTW, 34% Complete, TLATEOTW, Trinity, and SOngs of Darkness are the best IMO.

You're the most inconsistent bastard in history. For years you would rag on MDB for their whiny vocals. You know, it's fine to be indifferent on stuff but to be so vehemently anti-something just makes it look dumb when you finally come round to see the light.

That said, MDB sucks. :loco:

j/k

im not worried about being consistent. tastes change as one grows older.

i can admit i was wrong, though the vocals are still whiny

That's one band the RC hype machine will never turn me around on. I seriously challenge any one here to throw up their fav Slough Feg track. I'll bat it out of the ballpark with apathy.

I'll always regard The Feg as something to occupy the void between Hammers albums, Hardworlder is in that "hugely enjoyable but still frustrating" category for me...some songs on it still kick ass but could have been expanded a little more (the aptly named The Spoils) and for a band whose big selling point is Scalzi's vocals, it's ironic that my favorite track on it is Galactic Nomad...

You're the most inconsistent bastard in history. For years you would rag on MDB for their whiny vocals. You know, it's fine to be indifferent on stuff but to be so vehemently anti-something just makes it look dumb when you finally come round to see the light.

That said, MDB sucks. :loco:

Don't rag on J. he finally has a worth while correct opinion and you scorn him for it :mad:

that said, Graveland suck btw

That's one band the RC hype machine will never turn me around on. I seriously challenge any one here to throw up their fav Slough Feg track. I'll bat it out of the ballpark with apathy.

We had a whole thread on my fave track: addendum galactus

For you not to get anything out of their live performance....well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were regurgitating sloppy joes on someones ankles during the performance.

welcome to the Taake party, although, Nattestid is supposedly even better.

After several years I have finally come to the conclusion that Taake is one the most overrated bands within black metal today.

The first track of Nattestid is spectacular, the second one good. But what happens then? Well, more or less: nothing. The albums drags on as a bleak copy of those two first spectacular tracks.

Then we have Bjorgvin, aptly renamed BOINGvin by someone among finer RC:s visitors, an album which in my opinion simply lacks songwriting, and which to boot has a vocal performance which is strangely off beat.
[/off topic ranting]

What does rule though, and which I've discovered this very last week, is Belenos. After someone uploaded the fantastic song L'ombre Du Chaos I have been caught. Thank you very much whoever that was.

...doedskvad is better than bjoergvin if for the simple reason that the jew harp on that one bjoergvin track makes me laugh every time and completely breaks the atmosphere :loco:

...doedskvad is better than bjoergvin if for the simple reason that the jew harp on that one bjoergvin track makes me laugh every time and completely breaks the atmosphere :loco:

Oh yes, forgot about that one -- for obvious reasons though, since it's complete snooze fest
But on the other hand, the tracks that he has put out on splits and in different vinyl editions suck even more :p

Come to think of it, another band that I've overlooked for many years is Antaeus, and for no good reason. Just listen to this sample: Words as Weapons
Kind of similar to Katharsis in their relentless pummeling ways, but not quite as chaotic.

Then we have Bjorgvin, aptly renamed BOINGvin by someone among finer RC:s visitors, an album which in my opinion simply lacks songwriting, and which to boot has a vocal performance which is strangely off beat.
[/off topic ranting]

wow, either we vastly disagree, or I don't know a decent album when I hear it. could be both ;)