Head Banging

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
So last night I went with my roomate to see one of his favorite hardcore bands. Well they were really good so I got into it and was moshing and slam dancing, and of course being the good metal head I am, I did more then enough head banging. Anyways today my neck hurts like hell. Same thing after the Opeth concert, the top half of my spinal chord felt shredded. Anyways, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, should I be in so much (and its really not that bad, I mean its far from unbearable). Pherhaps its because I slam very hard and fast, in a up/down motion. Do any of you have sugestions on how to avoid this, or is this just consider this par for the course with head banging?

Uh, it hurts so bad because the spine isn't meant to be moved like that over and over... Either, your neck will get used to it, or your spine will get screwed up and you'll have permanent neck/back problems. Don't do it so much and you won't have as much of a problem.

The way hardcore bands jerk their heads around while playing is ridiculous, of course some may say the same thing about metal bands so hrmph.

^Useless^

crimsonfloyd said:
I guess so, its sort of a way to remeber the show by. Each time I lean my head back it hurts, but it does remind me of what a great time I had...
Taking pictures or a soviener shirt might be a better idea...

Guardian of Darkness said:
Headbanging is less retarded than moshing, but it's still retarded.
So what do you do? Stand there motionless while listening to extreemly emotional/ energetic music? Sorry but when I'm listening to music of this nature standing still is not an option, theres just too much emotion flowing through me, moshing and head banging are two great ways of letting this out...

Guardian of dicklicking is a 15 yr old faggot that thinks he;s the 2nd cumming of socrates. Don't mind him. He's going through that pre-pubescent smart ass phase. Anyhow headbanging fucking kicks ass. I think the best way to not be in pain is workout. Your neck will gain strength if you military press and work your trapezoids. Then once you know it. You' wont be in pain the next day. Just comfortably sore.

crimsonfloyd said:
So what do you do? Stand there motionless while listening to extreemly emotional/ energetic music? Sorry but when I'm listening to music of this nature standing still is not an option, theres just too much emotion flowing through me, moshing and head banging are two great ways of letting this out...
I tend not to go to concerts. Woo, a social event in which I'm surrounded by big sweaty drunken guys, with music that has low sound quality. Anywho, I'm in control of my emotions, I don't let them make me fly around throwing my head up and down and screaming 'METUL! METUL UP YER ARSE!'

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Guardian of dicklicking is a 15 yr old faggot that thinks he;s the 2nd cumming of socrates. Don't mind him. He's going through that pre-pubescent smart ass phase. Anyhow headbanging fucking kicks ass. I think the best way to not be in pain is workout. Your neck will gain strength if you military press and work your trapezoids. Then once you know it. You' wont be in pain the next day. Just comfortably sore.
Dicklicking. Wow, they're getting better. You've never liked me have you? Unsurprising really, considering the ridiculously high amount of times that I've destroyed you verbally. Mongoloid.