Heartwork > Slaughter of the Soul

SOTS took the basic elements of early At the Gates and stripped them down into an accessible, bass-snare, quasi-thrash format with watered-down melodies and less adventurous structures. That being said, it is still a class album. There's just plenty of reasons for many people to dislike it.

Heartowk, on the other hand, simply took the elements of Necrotism and Symphonies to a new level of polish and clarity. The albums are not that different. Heartwork just has the crystal-clear, crushingly heavy Colin Richardson production--as well as melodic lines that focus more on beauty and accessiblity than before. Both are entirely subjective.

anonymousnick2001 said:
SOTS took the basic elements of early At the Gates and stripped them down into an accessible, bass-snare, quasi-thrash format with watered-down melodies and less adventurous structures. That being said, it is still a class album. There's just plenty of reasons for many people to dislike it.
i'd agree there except for "watered-down melodies".... in fact, i feel that its comeletely the opposite, as SOTS, while not my favorite ATG (that would be TRITSIO) easily had the strongest melodies and riffs overall, which certainly made up for the less adventurous strcturing. in fact, the to-the-point feel of the album works in its favor.

Sunlapse said:
i'd agree there except for "watered-down melodies".... in fact, i feel that its comeletely the opposite, as SOTS, while not my favorite ATG (that would be TRITSIO) easily had the strongest melodies and riffs overall, which certainly made up for the less adventurous strcturing. in fact, the to-the-point feel of the album works in its favor.
No argument there. Subjectivity vs. objectivity, my friend.