HEATHEN CRUSADE PRE-PARTY ... I need advice!

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Greetings one and all! :zombie:

Mr. John McGovern, of Heathen Crusade fame, has bestowed upon me the honor of doing the first Heathen Crusade Pre-Party which will kick-off HEATHEN CRUSADE 2 this January of 2007. As I'm sure many of you know, HC2 will take place on Saturday, January 20, 2007, and it will be bigger, louder and meaner than it was last year. (For more info: http://www.myspace.com/heathencrusade or http://www.heathencrusade.com/)

The Heathen Crusade Pre-Party will take place on Thursday, January 18, 2007 at Station 4 (www.Station-4.com).

However, there's just one problem ...

I NEED BAND ADVICE!o_O

As I'm sure all of you are (painfully) aware by now, my area of expertise is power metal and all things that swingeth swords. The darker side of metal and the sub-genres there-in are not very well known to me.

I could use some good pointers and recommendations for headliners for my HC2 Pre-Party. Please post them here.

PLEASE keep in mind that I am not trying to upstart my fine friend John, nor am I looking for the biggest, baddest band in this genre. I'm just looking for that cool band that might someday headline HC3 or HC4 and this would be a great place to start.

Keep in mind the "rules" of the Prog-Power Pre-Party and post away!

John and I look forward to seeing all of you in the frozen northlands this January!

Metal till you die,
Nathan "The SwordLord"

Nathan,

Any idea what kind of local bands are around? I'd probably look to those as possibilities. I'm not sure what the HC crowd is like either, although I am familiar with everything from last year's lineup.

Mosquito said:
Nathan,

Any idea what kind of local bands are around? I'd probably look to those as possibilities. I'm not sure what the HC crowd is like either, although I am familiar with everything from last year's lineup.

Well the local bands are on every show in this area, I am hoping for at least one headliner that is from out of town or preferably from out of the country. That's really what I'm shooting for here. :loco:

Nathan

One word...

Ensiferum (Finland - folkish viking metal).

I'm not sure what the possibility of you getting them, but I think it would be a huge deal if you could.

As for some heavier bands, these are some of my suggestions...
Out of country:
Amon Amarth - Sweden - death metal of the highest order
Cruachan - Ireland - folk
Battered - Norway - blackened thrash
Suidakra - Germany - melodic black/death metal with folk influences
Into Eternity - why not?

From the States:
Estuary - Ohio - Death metal
Agent Steel - California - Thrash
While Heaven Wept - Virginia - Melodic doom metal
Grey Skies Fallen - New York - kinda doomy metal

Those are some off the top of my head.

I'm so glad I didn't buy my plane ticket yet - I wasn't planning on the pre-party.

Good luck Nathan.

Yeah, whoever said it earlier -
if you could swing Ensiferum, I'd probably buy 17 tickets. Another band from Finland is Wintersun. At the moment, they only have one album out, and they would probably be a good draw. I can't think of others right now, I'm so sick and in the last 3 days I've only been able to eat a plate of pasta and a chicken burger. :puke:

Ensiferum and Wintersun = \m/

I thought Suidakra were from the UK? Dang, I'll have to check CD liner notes.

It'd take a pretty committed overseas band to make the journey for just one show, though. Good luck with this! Maybe someone will want to build a small tour around it......

Anyone got any other American bands that would qualify?

SwordLord said:
Mr. John McGovern, of Heathen Crusade fame, has bestowed upon me the honor of doing the first Heathen Crusade Pre-Party which will kick-off HEATHEN CRUSADE 2 this January of 2007.
Can you give us some idea what size act you're looking for? Do you have some leeway with the style of the act or must if have Heathen/Pagan roots?

Zod

Beyond the Embrace would be killer, they are from Mass, and recently opened across the US with Green Carnation.

TYR would be great, they have a new disc coming out too.....

Korpiklanni would be great, I would drive just to see them, but they would out do the whole fest alone.

Asmegin would be great, they are a nice mix of black metal and folk.

you could even get some one like Morganstern(powermetal with a folk edge) or Orkrist (great epic metal with folk influences.)

the list of bands is huge. You may want to go the true metal route and get bands like Wotan or Paragon who would at least stand out from the fest and not take anything away from it but would be a great starting point for it.