Heaven and Hell San Jose....

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Sorry to start yet another Heaven and Hell thread, but since a fair amount of us think this the "metal event of the year," I figure...what the hell.

So, saw 'em last night. Honestly? Words can't describe the feeling of being there in person. I've watched the Youtube clips, followed the stories on Blabbermouth etc., but none of that can represent the power of the actual show.

Actually, let me start by saying I've never seen Megadeth before. Not being a huge fan, this is no big deal....but then again, they absolutely tore the place up! What a great, great set they did. I was completely impressed. Highlights were: Sleepwalker from the new album (and the opener), I really like that song! Symphony of Destruction, Tornado of Souls, Holy Wars, and a bunch more. They rarely paused for more than 15 seconds between songs, preferring, apparently, to cram in as much as they could. They did two encores. I was thinking of buying the new album when it comes out, but now I definately will, and more will try to see them as headliners when I can. Killer show.

But, the main event is Heaven and Hell of course....so some quick notes:

1. Ronnie sounded just plain fantastic. He hit a LOT of high notes....and though he can have his off-ish nights, sounded like a man of 30 (rather than 60).

2. Great setlist as you all know....but still felt like a surprise to me somehow. They did Falling off the Edge of the World, and I'm not sure that was on the first leg setlist....was it? It was killer anyway. Highlights were....Sign of the Southern Cross, I, Voodoo, Children of the Sea, well...you know the score....they know their strong suites, and are playing them in spades....a very well designed setlist.

3. Can I just say here...that we should crown Tony Iommi the "METAL GOD," and be done with it? There are always converstions about which Sabbath era is THE era....Ozzy, Dio, whatever....but I'll tell ya, the one constant through all the years is the man Tony Iommi....quiet and persistent, consistantly cranking out riffs as if he makes them up in his sleep. He's responsible for a VERY large portion of the foundation of metal (Ozzy years), but a big piece of the foundation of modern metal too (Dio years), to say nothing of excellent albums like Born Again, or even the recent Hughes/Iommi awesomeness! The man is quite simply a legend. And, no, I'm not forgetting Geezer, he's another constant....always been there....keeping the faith as it were....

4. A lot of folks came out of retirement for this one...and that made it a lot of fun. There were conversations all around me to the tune of, "I wanted to go in 1980, but my mom wouldn't let me!" or "the last time I saw these guys I was in high school...." and there were a lot of receding hairlines, but of course some folks who looked like they've aged pretty well too (ha), but it was just fun to be in a crowd consisting of almost completely old-school folks sharing their war stories of the old days. Heard lots of folk talking of the Bay Area Thrash days....and just....a nice, nice crowd. Good folks. Our peeps.

5. This band plays so well, so immediate is their energy, that one can easily forget that you are watching a bunch of "old farts," albeit old farts who are responsible for a great many of the coolest albums in the metal pantheon: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Holy Diver, Rainbow Rising, Mob Rules....on and on and on. This is, put simply, an evening spent with legends.

Heaven and Hell is THE metal event of the year. Believe the hype.

It was awesome!

Oh, last, only saw about 30 seconds of Machinehead (on purpose), and that was plenty. No big whoop.

Here's the setlist, same as first leg (where they DID do Falling off the edge...):
01. E5150
02. After All (The Dead)
03. The Mob Rules
04. Children of The Sea
05. Lady Evil
06. Ear In The Wall
07. I
08. The Sign of The Southern Cross
09. Voodoo
10. The Devil Cried
11. Vinny Appice Solo
12. Computer God
13. Falling Off The Edge of The World
14. Shadow of The Wind
15. Die Young
16. Heaven and Hell
---------------------
17. Neon Knights

Glad you had a great time Elec. :headbang:

They really are something live for the age that they are. Tony stills rips the place appart, Dio sounds great and the whole band is tight. The addition of a second guitar/keyboards backstage was a great idea as well to give the songs that extra punch. I can't recall if they did Falling off the Edge or not when we saw them. Probably not.

I wish they'd drop Shadow of the Wind for Ear in the Wall, as Shadow was probably their weakest song live.

Deffinately gets my vote for concert of the year! :worship:

Highlights were....Sign of the Southern Cross, I, Voodoo, Children of the Sea

Agree 100% Excellent review E.W. :kickass:

The video/DVD from this tour will be amazing, the stage set is very impressive.

Also I can't believe how many people I ran into there from the past, What a night!

PS My younger brother bought me an autographed Vinny Appice drum head, his way of thanking me for taking him to Metal shows starting when he was ten (Sabbath/Ozzy solo etc) :headbang:

clip from San Jose
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tfs-F_KbV1k

Thanks for the link to Lady Evil Assault attack. Very cool. I was hoping some would make their way to Youtube. There was a guy filming in front of me, and he almost got the whole show I think. I wanted to see the clips to hear if Ronnie was really as on as I felt he was (which I very much did feel he was....dead on).

Cool! Where'd ya sit?

Nice to see all the good reviews of H&H shows...Maybe I will try and go to the Graspop festival and see them anyway. The rest of the bands playing there are absolutely shit, except for Iron Maiden, who play after H&H. So I guess if the weather is good it's ok to spend the money to see H&H and Maiden, ga there late and skip all the rest.

Thanks for the review Wiz! Now all I need is Kitty's to send me completely over the top in anticipation. Fortunately the NFL draft is this weekend so that'll help take up some of the time. And Soul Seek will take up the rest. Sunday can't get here soon enough.

No cameras in L.A. Was a great show though I thought the sound mix was a bit muddy and low, Dio's vocals not sounding loud enough to me. So here's a few shots my friend Dion took in San Jose.
DSC04175.jpg

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04313.jpg

DSC04181.jpg