Heaven & Hell/Megadeth

nafnikufesin

N.F.F.
Dec 6, 2001
In a Zone
amandababypics.tripod.com
Saw the concert last night. First off, it was a little bit of a letdown, because Phil was sick so Down didn't play, and I wanted to see them the most of the 3 bands. (Couldn't Pepper have filled in on vocals :kickass: ). The consolation is that Down promised to return later this year for a make-up date, and since they were the opening band and only scheduled to play 6 songs, when they return at least I'll get to see their full set (and maybe it will be after their new album comes out).

Next up was Megadeth, playing a 9-song set, including 2 new tracks. I'd heard Sleepwalker before, but this was the first time I'd heard Washington is Next, and I was quite impressed. As always, Dave can shred like a madman, putting on a clinical performance. That said, he could learn a few things from other frontman (say Dio or Phil on this tour) and try and do a bit more to engage the crowd. No banter, just going straight from song to song, and while the music was great, their stage presence was limited. That said, 9 songs is too short, especially since the opening act cancelled, you'd think they could have added a couple extra songs to compensate.

Finally, Sabbath took the stage, and Dio knows a thing or two about engaging the crowd. He might be a shrivelling elf, but he's still got some pipes (and he's a hell of a lot more fun to watch than Sabbath's other decrepit old frontman who should have retired 15 years ago when he first said he was going to retire). Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with the Dio-era Sabbath catalog as the Ozzy-era, but despite that, I was quite pumped through the first half of the set, up to Vinnie's drum solo. However, given that these guys only had 3 albums of material to work with, they played pretty much all of it...great if you're a full-blooded fan of the era, but for more casual fans, they could have trimmed the setlist, as the second half started to slow down a bit too much. Again, why not trim a few songs off their bloated setlist and give Megadeth a few more tunes? They played all 3 new tracks that will be included on their upcoming greatest hits package, and they blended in well with the older material so well that they could have been written at the same time as Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules.

At the end of the day it was a good show...it might have been a great show if my lingering disappointment from Down's last-minute cancellation hadn't started the evening off with such a damper, but I'm glad I got to see Sabbath play with this line-up.

I'd love to see this Sabbath lineup. I've never been a huge Sabbath fan but i've recently been getting into the Dio era and most of it rocks pretty hard. As for Down, I saw em last year in Glasgow and they were great until Phil got to drunk and started arsing around a bit to much....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNCDNpUU4P0
This clip may be funny but check out Pepper and Rex having to help him outta the Jacket. It was the same later on when Pepper had to wrestle his guitar outta Phil's hands after his drunker solo....

Jesus! this started as a "i'd love to see Heaven and Hell" comment and has turned into a bash Phil Anselmo comment for a gig I actually enjoyed....
I need to get out more :)

that sucks about down,i would love to see them one day,with all the metal bands coming to australia lately it could be highly possible this year!,i found megadeth quite boring live

01. E5150
02. After All (The Dead)
03. The Mob Rules
04. Children of The Sea
05. Lady Evil
06. Ear In The Wall
07. I
08. The Sign of The Southern Cross
09. Voodoo
10. The Devil Cried
11. Vinny Appice Solo
12. Computer God
13. Falling Off The Edge of The World
14. Shadow of The Wind
15. Die Young
16. Heaven and Hell
---------------------
17. Neon Knights
18. Lonely is the Word

Did they play any older Sabbath songs?

As long as Down makes it for Toronto I'll be ok..........otherwise i'll be pissed Chicago to Toronto isn't cheap for a poor college student!

One thing to say... TOUR OZ NOW!!!!!!!!!

I am gonna go see Mars Volta on the weekend (right after some F1 action).

the tour sounds cool.

But note to the OP. Mustaine on the Megadeth forums says that his time is very limitted (45 min) and that he'd be shredding through as many songs as he possibly can. Normally at the shows ive been he engages the crowd. While not as much as some other bands who are notorious for it, he still talks, tells anecdotes and gets the crowd riled. I think it's the nature of the show and that he's not headlining that caused it

However, this concert in Toronto is a joke. it would be cool to see. I can warrant spending around $40 - $50 for it. Except. The prices are $60 + 11.25 + 1.50 + 2.50 + TAX = $85

I can't warrant $85 to see only 45 minutes of megadeth and the "immitation" black sabbath