Heaviest Opeth track?

Probably Wreath. When I listen to Opeth, I tend to forget what kind of music it is because I just say to myself "its Opeth thats all", but when you listen to a song like Wreath, objectivly, it really is a fuckin good death metal song, especially the intro riff and a few others.

This is also true about a lot of other songs. For example, I really don't think of Opeth as a black metal band but some riffs are sometimes very black metallish. And I love how in the same song, you can have black metal moments, death metal moments and very clean prog moments also. Thats why I think Opeth is so rich... musically

Heaviest? Most songs take a break where it calms down mostly cuz I would think it imposable to maintain speed and brutality for 10+ minutes. Leper Affinity and Demon rank up there for me. But Grand Con is their most evil. That song scares old people.

Mike did say that Deliverance is their top 3 heaviest track ever recorded. But there's so many to say. But lets try one, Moonlapse Vertigo. Very powerfull start since it comes to vocals! :heh:

I vote for Wreath,Heir Apparent, Demon of The Fall...TGC...nothing new on the horizon...Opeth's most brutal moments are in much songs that arent that brutal like the beggining of When, that drum fill at the beggining of Aphril Ethereal, The heavy part in Hessian Peel...

In my opinion i dont think There is no opeth song that is like heavy from start to finish because there is always a quiet moment but Im gonna have to go with Wreath, Deliverance or Blackwater Park

To me:

1. Godhead's Lament
2. Deliverance
3. Heir Apparent.

Yes, I just listened to the entire discography. It's impossible to find something more hardcore than these 3 by opeth IMO.

Some title contenders for me:

Wreath
Deliverance
Master's Apprentices
Heir Apparent
Blackwater Park
I don't think I can pick one track because the dynamics in Opeth tracks generally tend to ebb and flow, but as far a single moment in a song, the way 'Heir Apparent' comes crashing in following 'Coil' - the dynamic shift there helps for sure - but it is like a sledgehammer to your aural face (I have always thought slower, sludgy, low, doom riffs to be heavier, and it definitely is covered here). Then the double kick/palm mute synch part comes in with that big growl and it is just so monstrous!

Most people have listed the others, i.e. 'Wreath', 'Blackwater Park', 'Godhead's Lament', etc. All very heavy riff wise - I particularly love the way 'Wreath' comes crashing in with the big drum fill.

I don't think there is any definitive answer, but there are plenty to choose from, so it seems. And people complain about Opeth being soft!?! :loco:

Godhead's lament, that song attacks you from the beginning. The Leper Affinity is brrrruuuuutal as well. I cant consider anything from the last two albums to be as heavy, sorry.