Hello Sweses...help me out here...tell me the truth

I need to know something about the swedish language: is there a way in Swedish you can refer to a family just with the last name in plural, like in English "the Smiths", or "the Jacksons"?

Professor: The Swedes. They look at the glaciers, go inside, watch a Bergman film, have a heavy drink, then have some sex in the sauna, but ultimately that is unsatisfying, so they kill themselves.

Is this true?

Plz answer kthx!:oops:
Basically all wrong. This sounds more like finnish people. Not much glaciers in sweden - no polar bears either, for that matter....

I need to know something about the swedish language: is there a way in Swedish you can refer to a family just with the last name in plural, like in English "the Smiths", or "the Jacksons"?

Yes there is, and it is quite similar to the english way, only the word "the" dont exist in swedish..
So its just "nyströms" or "Renkses"

It also depends very much on where in sweden you are from.
Here in stockholm we hardly ever use last names to refer to a family, but we ust call them by the elders names (so me and my wife is just Björn and Frieda)
where as in the northernmost parts of sweden they do it all the time.

Why does Sweden have this rumour of having lots of suicides? I´m sure it´s no more than any other country. Not the sex part either,i´ve always had the impression that Sweden is more conservative when it comes to sex than a lot of other countries.

Studies show that the youths of Sweden are more depressed then many other Europeian countries, although it is one of the welthiest ones. We don't top the world suicide chart, but here it is for those who are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Some Metro pages about happiness/depression among the Swedish youth (in Swedish):
http://www.metro.se/se/article/2007/05/29/23/0146-45/index.xml
http://www.metro.se/se/article/tt/2008/06/24/barnhalsa/index.xml

Professor: The Swedes. They look at the glaciers, go inside, watch a Bergman film, have a heavy drink, then have some sex in the sauna, but ultimately that is unsatisfying, so they kill themselves.

Is this true?

Plz answer kthx!:oops:

Well... may I take the word?
1. Hobo is right, we don't have glaciers.
2. We go inside and outside, like every other fucking nation.
3. Once upon a time Bergman was quite popular here... when my grandma was young and looked sexier than Angelina Jolie. Now people who want to go inside and kill themselves prefer to watch Roy Andersson's movies. Since Bergman kind of died and didn't do anything new for ages. But we also have Moodysson who is very optimistic.
4. We like booze, oh yeah! That's the only truth of all of that.
5. We HATE sex in the sauna! Just because finns love it...
6. Everyone decides for himself if he wants to live or die, so there's no problem. Like in every other country.
And no, Stockholm is fine! The weather may be depressing yeah, but who cares? Just go to Anchor, KGB or Club Rocks and have fun! With a loooooot of booze!