help choosing Guitarsound

Psych05

Aug 9, 2006
Hessen, Germany
www.myspace.com
Hey,

here are some soundsamples on a project I'm working on at the moment. So far I'm not particularly impressed with the guitar sound. I don't know what went wrong this time, but we start tracking tomorrow, so it's simply too late to switch amps or anything. So I figure I need to choose the best of what's there right now.

The problem is, after comparing like 36 different combinations of Amps & Cabs my ears are completely dead and I think I'm definitely starting to hear ghosts or something. I'm not really trusting myself to make a good decision at the moment.

So please help me choose the best Guitarsound. The style is modern death metal. There were two amps used, an Engl and a 5150. What you are hearing is always a combination of the two. The differences are from using different cabs (a 5150 and a V60-loaded Engl Standard) and different mics (Beta and/or SM57).
If you are interested, I'll post which is which later. But for now I don't want to influence your decision... :)

www.chiabola.com/dump/git.rar

Thank you so much!

Razorjack said:
Refrain 2 sounds alright but I'm not that impressed by any of them, sorry.

You aboslutely don't need to apologize. Like I said, I am not very impressed, too. Thanks for trying! :headbang:

But the guitar tracking really needs to be done tomorrow, there is no way I can change that. Which is why I'm trying to take the best from what I have here.

punkrockacademyfightsong said:
i'd go for 6, most powerfull mids!

Yeah, I thought about nr. 6, too. Thanks for listening.

To,....I'd go for 5!!!! (although 6 sounds similar.....) But 5 has more balls!!!! And that's good...

laterZz good luck

OK after talking to the band it was clear that we'll go with number 6. Which is Engl Amp / Engl Cab / SM57 combined with 5150 Amp / Engl Cab / Beta 57 by the way.
I'll definitely try to squeeze some time in tomorrow, it just has to get better than this. I mean, there's definitely some potential in the Amp/Cabinet combination I think. But it's absolutely not there yet. I will first try to move the mics closer to the middle of the speaker because it's really dull right now. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Psych05 said:
OK after talking to the band it was clear that we'll go with number 6. Which is Engl Amp / Engl Cab / SM57 combined with 5150 Amp / Engl Cab / Beta 57 by the way.
I'll definitely try to squeeze some time in tomorrow, it just has to get better than this. I mean, there's definitely some potential in the Amp/Cabinet combination I think. But it's absolutely not there yet. I will first try to move the mics closer to the middle of the speaker because it's really dull right now. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

maybe the problem is in the guitarist. :heh: