Help me choose the right A/D/A please.

BugsyHewitt

Apr 10, 2010
Hey. So me and a guitarist have been recording some tracks with just the gear weve got kickin around.. Weve tried the M-Audio fasttrack and Line 6 XT Live... Both 16 bit :mad: .. We are recording guitars DI for now (Gate>8505>LeCab/Catharis>EQ) although we have a 6505+ and mesa oversized at our disposal.. Just layin down rough tracks right now tho so its not a biggie.. and its not that it sounds AWFUL. Its just the fasttrack has a limiter on it no matter what and the Line 6 is adding in a weird noise somewhere.. Cant really notice unless you listen close.. But wtf. Its mostly noticable on chugs with pauses after which does not work very well for our style of music.. Kinda makes a Jun-zz Jun-zz sound.. So basicly.. Whats a good 24 bit A/D/A (Anything over cd quality not really needed) unit for both recording DI guitar tracks for a laptop (No PCI Cards :zombie: ).... and preferably something with a decent mic pre, although that isnt so neccesary as I have a few so-so ones but a nice one would be great. Ive read thru alot and obviously id like a Fireface 800 or something similar. But im looking for preferably 1 or 2 channel, preferably USB as I dont know compatability with this comp.. Ive been looking at A/D/A's for hours.. But all the stats and specs in the world aren't worth a few words from someone who's owned one. Please help. o_O

Oh wow.. That looks awesome.. I had been looking at the Fireface UC.. But the 1300$ was scaring me off a little.. 800 sounds alot better.. Any other suggestions.. Everyone knows RME kicks ass :headbang: