5150 + impulses for dummies - please don't bash me :D

Which, still, for me is totally idiotic. the FX send is a tap AFTER the preamp but BEFORE the poweramp, why why whyyy would they make the circuit so that when in standby the fx-send isn't sending the preamp signal? My ENGL does though, and it's the same amount of signal as when fully on, no difference. However not on my Triple XXX.

Does anyone know if the power-switch can be turned off with a Krank Revolution 100 head? I know I could try it by myself but I have no chance getting my head in the next few days.

And you really wont kill your tubes if it works?

they are talking about standbys, not power switches...you have to have the amp turned on in 100% of cases for an amp to work. :Smug:

My mistake. I was in a a hurry and wasn't really checking what I wrote.

So... has the STANDBY-switch to be turned on on a krank rev1? I allready had a lot of trouble with the FX Send because it's not active. I really would hate to destroy the tubes because they're just new.

I know there was a threat by guitar hack but the original message got edited.

My mistake. I was in a a hurry and wasn't really checking what I wrote.

So... has the STANDBY-switch to be turned on on a krank rev1? I allready had a lot of trouble with the FX Send because it's not active. I really would hate to destroy the tubes because they're just new.

I know there was a threat by guitar hack but the original message got edited.

I get no sound from the Effect Send with the Standby switch on. :mad:

No, not all amps work that way. My JSX and Dual Recto both allow signal to pass with the STANDBY off. Also, I remember my PowerBall allowed it as well. However, my 5150 did not allow it.

I'm going to assume (GuitarHack) that you have checked if there is an FX Send knob on the back of the amp, and if there was, you checked to make sure it wasn't turned all the way down. If there is no signal, then I dunno. Some amps have a LINE OUTPUT jack, that should do the trick. Like the FX SEND method, with the LINE you also do not have to have the STANDBY on (sound through speakers) in most cases.

~e.a

GuitarHack, you don't get any sound out of your rev's fx send even with the standy-switch on?

The Rev1 has no FX Send knob. At least mine.

The FX Send is passive though, maybe thats the reason!?

GuitarHack, you don't get any sound out of your rev's fx send even with the standy-switch on?

The Rev1 has no FX Send knob. At least mine.

The FX Send is passive though, maybe thats the reason!?

Sorry, I may have confused things with my wording. When I refer to my Standby switch being On, I mean when I am in Standy. With my Standby switch Off, I am out of Standby, eg, the amp is fully on and ready to go.

I should have said that when I am in Standby, I get no sound from the Effect Send.

Sorry for the confusion. :heh:

Yeah, no Fx level on the Rev. The "Loop" is purely a breakout point between the Pre and Power Amp, nothing more AFAIK. Pretty basic setup. The 'stein has a level on the Effects Return which is a solid-state circuit that can boost the Return level up if some of the Send level is lost going through any effects. This also doubles as an added gain stage. That's where some of the solid-state-type attribute of the 'steins sound comes from.

No, not every amp does output sound, when only the power-switch is on.
That worked on none of my Engls so far and IMHO (!!) I read somewhere, that 5150's can't do that, too.
Well, it's worth trying but on the other hand I have no problem having everything turned on at home ;)

Works on my ENGL Powerball.

With the Channel Volume Controlling the Level.

bringing an old thread back to life...I have a guy I'm working with right now, he has a dual rectifier...forgot his cab. From reading this..people are saying that you can use the FX send w/o flipping the standy on. As of right now i'm getting no signal. The FX loop is turned up and everything else. Is there anything i'm missing? Thanks guys.

bringing an old thread back to life...I have a guy I'm working with right now, he has a dual rectifier...forgot his cab. From reading this..people are saying that you can use the FX send w/o flipping the standy on. As of right now i'm getting no signal. The FX loop is turned up and everything else. Is there anything i'm missing? Thanks guys.

On my Dual Rec, you have to be out of Standby (w/ a cab attached of course) for the Slave Out or FX Sends to work.

I have a 3 ch... I'd be interested to know more about how people are using dualrec's on standby this way, and what version of the dualrec they have.

another tip, for my 5150 II, since there is no master volume, i have to turn the post gain up to get any output from the fx send, so have to turn above 1, which is very loud.

so to record near silence without an attenuator/load box, i just use a dummy cable, just any spare 1/4" and plug it into the fx return with nothing else on the other end and voila, it is the same volume as when i have the post gain at 0. then i just stick the cab in the closet or another, not that its loud theres barely anything coming from speakers, i just don't want what is leaking through the speakers to be in the same room as me when im monitoring with the impulses.

so you dont need a load box if your using a 5150 II, and i assume the 5150 too.

i have my post gain at about 4-5, can go up to 8, the higher you go the more saturated the signal is coming from the fx send it seems.

also if you do this, it is helpful to tape the end of the dummy cable, as its crazy to accidentally touch the tip of the cable, i have not done this, but at 4+ post gain, im not going to try it :p

another tip, for my 5150 II, since there is no master volume, i have to turn the post gain up to get any output from the fx send, so have to turn above 1, which is very loud.

so to record near silence without an attenuator/load box, i just use a dummy cable, just any spare 1/4" and plug it into the fx return with nothing else on the other end and voila, it is the same volume as when i have the post gain at 0. then i just stick the cab in the closet or another, not that its loud theres barely anything coming from speakers, i just don't want what is leaking through the speakers to be in the same room as me when im monitoring with the impulses.

i have my post gain at about 4-5, can go up to 8, the higher you go the more saturated the signal is coming from the fx send it seems.

also if you do this, it is helpful to tape the end of the dummy cable, as its crazy to accidentally touch the tip of the cable, i have not done this, but at 4+ post gain, im not going to try it :p

Can someone confirm this? My 6505 isn't here at the moment for me to try.

wow dude..im literally sitting in my tracking room right now with my amp on ready to try this....i've never tried this before and never heard of it till right now and i need my amp for a show this saturday so PLEEEEEASE CONFIRM ME THAT THIS METHOD IS NOT GOING TO BLOW MY TRIPLE XXX HEAD..or my interface for that matter.

so let me get this straight...i just plug a speaker cable from the line out of my amp to my interface and put it thru an impulse and it will work?...no cab?...on stand by (maybe)?

Can someone confirm this? My 6505 isn't here at the moment for me to try.

'another tip, for my 5150 II, since there is no master volume, i have to turn the post gain up to get any output from the fx send, so have to turn above 1, which is very loud.

also if you do this, it is helpful to tape the end of the dummy cable, as its crazy to accidentally touch the tip of the cable, i have not done this, but at 4+ post gain, im not going to try it :p'

wow dude..im literally sitting in my tracking room right now with my amp on ready to try this....i've never tried this before and never heard of it till right now and i need my amp for a show this saturday so PLEEEEEASE CONFIRM ME THAT THIS METHOD IS NOT GOING TO BLOW MY TRIPLE XXX HEAD..or my interface for that matter.

so let me get this straight...i just plug a speaker cable from the line out of my amp to my interface and put it thru an impulse and it will work?...no cab?...on stand by (maybe)?

The XXX I think has a built in dummy load...I had the 120 watt combo and the speaker cable was fucked, cut out all the time, and the amp was always totally fine...I didn't even know it was dangerous to have a tube amp unplugged from a speaker yet because I was still new to the whole tube amp thing. I even believe I used to record direct with it sometimes without the speaker cable plugged in! God I used to be a moron! hahaha

sk8ersick666 said:

The XXX I think has a built in dummy load...I had the 120 watt combo and the speaker cable was fucked, cut out all the time, and the amp was always totally fine...I didn't even know it was dangerous to have a tube amp unplugged from a speaker yet because I was still new to the whole tube amp thing. I even believe I used to record direct with it sometimes without the speaker cable plugged in! God I used to be a moron! hahaha

I just emailed the guys from Peavey on both subjects:
1. Recording Line out while being on standby
2. Peavey XXX Head, integrated dummy load or not

I will post, when Peavey support answers my email

I just emailed the guys from Peavey on both subjects:
1. Recording Line out while being on standby
2. Peavey XXX Head, integrated dummy load or not

I will post, when Peavey support answers my email

Okay guys, Peavey support just answered.

Im afraid the answer to both your questions is the same. No output from line out in stand by and there is no dummy load built in with the Peavey Triple XXX

Hope this helps you guys!