5150 + impulses for dummies - please don't bash me :D

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Heyho ... I used the search-function ... yes ... honestly ... :D

Can someone please give me a short "Howto use a 5150 with impuls-files for Dummies!"?

Of course there has to be a cab connected, the amp has to be on and of course NOT in standby-mode. But what output should I use?

There are a few posting that say "use the fx-send" ... others say that would blow fuses. So I guess I should use the Line-Out of the Amp. But don't I bypass the whole power-amp-section of the amp by taking the signal of the pre-amp only?

Another idea:
Could I use a DI-box between the speaker-out and the cab. I've got this cheap passive di-box lying around as a spare-part (http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_die_dibox_passiv.htm).

I already know what to do with the signal once it's in Logic, so I just need to know how to connect all that stuff :D

Cheers

I was facing the same problem.
I did use the FX-SEND, the signal was stronger and it sounded more full.
Cab connected, I put some blankets on it so it wouldn't blow my face of while playing ;-)
Had the post gain at 2. Green channel. I didn't use a DI but my tube Pre before hitting the DAW.

you don't want the poweramp-section when using impulses. the impulses is not only the cab, but rather power amp, cab, mic, preamp, soundcard :p

Umm ... yeah ... shit ... obviously there is the poweramp involved when making the impuls-file, right? Okay, thanks for pointing that out.

I was facing the same problem.
I did use the FX-SEND, the signal was stronger and it sounded more full.
Cab connected, I put some blankets on it so it wouldn't blow my face of while playing ;-)

I have a diy-isolation-cab, so that's not the problem ;)
So, hands down ... will the fx-send cause blewn fuses or crap like that? If not - why? If yes - why? :D

I don't see why the fx loop alone would 'cause a fuse to blow. as long as you have a load connected to the speaker out, you're good to go.
I however don't use a load on my triple xxx, but I don't keep it running for such a long time, since I'm probobly wearing out the tubes, even though I've got the master set at 0.

whoot? You mean, your amp is fully on without a cab? o_O

Well, I don't know about that blowing fuses - I just read it - and as I have absolutely no clue about electronics I think "better be careful" ;)

The blown fuses referring to the fx send or whatever was only when there wasn't a cab connected at the same time. Cab connected, you're good to go.

A couple of things guys...

First of all, with the master at 0 or not, you need to have a cab connected if both the power and standby switches are engaged. If not, then, regardless of master volume's setting, that power is *still* circulating through all of the components inside the head. Which is definitely not a good thing at all. The speaker cabinet acts as an outlet for that 100+ watts of tube power.

Secondly, you do NOT have to have the STANDBY engaged to utilize the head for impulses. Leave only the POWER switch on, and use the FX Send. It will still send the preamp's signal out through the FX Send output. So, using that method, you actually do not have to have a cabinet connected at all. Just don't hit the standby switch, lol. And then, obviously since a cabinet is not connected, you don't have to throw a blanket over the cab to muffle any noise...there won't be any.

~e.a

A couple of things guys...

First of all, with the master at 0 or not, you need to have a cab connected if both the power and standby switches are engaged. If not, then, regardless of master volume's setting, that power is *still* circulating through all of the components inside the head. Which is definitely not a good thing at all. The speaker cabinet acts as an outlet for that 100+ watts of tube power.

Secondly, you do NOT have to have the STANDBY engaged to utilize the head for impulses. Leave only the POWER switch on, and use the FX Send. It will still send the preamp's signal out through the FX Send output. So, using that method, you actually do not have to have a cabinet connected at all. Just don't hit the standby switch, lol. And then, obviously since a cabinet is not connected, you don't have to throw a blanket over the cab to muffle any noise...there won't be any.

~e.a

Is that true for all amps? Because mine doesn't output sound thru the fx send unless i hit the standby switch....

No, not every amp does output sound, when only the power-switch is on.
That worked on none of my Engls so far and IMHO (!!) I read somewhere, that 5150's can't do that, too.
Well, it's worth trying but on the other hand I have no problem having everything turned on at home ;)

Does anyone know if the power-switch can be turned off with a Krank Revolution 100 head? I know I could try it by myself but I have no chance getting my head in the next few days.

And you really wont kill your tubes if it works?

It works on my ENGL Fireball. :)

The Engls have the tube saving feature...I was told that is why when Engls are in standby, a little bit of signal is still audible.

Do Engls have a preamp out? If so, this should work in that case.

I haven't tried the loop for impulses with my 5150, but it always has to be on fully (power and standby) for a signal to be had.

-Joe