HELP me find new music

TUttle

Juinor Member my ass
Hi all, I"m new to the forums and have come here to find new music. I love Opeth's style of epic songs, with amazing musicianship. I'm looking for other bands that mimic this style. I've been thinking about picking up an album from Tristania and Paradise Lost. What do you think of these bands?? Other Suggestions?

Enslaved
Agalloch
Ulver (Up to about 1997)
The Mars Volta
Arcturus
Borknagar
Windir
Burzum

About all I can reccommend right now...

As for those other bands you mentioned, never heard of them.

Im going to be honest with ya. There is no METAL band that is quite like Opeth. you know that and i know that. But if your looking for a metal band that shares a similar style, and represents along with Opeth what metal CAN be. Listen to Enslaved. Isa, or Below The Lights are probably the best starting place. Ruun is their newest not a bad start either.

But thats just the metal world. Im sure the other folks on this message board will namedrop 400 useless bands like Insomnium , or Dark Suns that you'll infact love more then Enslaved. But whatever.

Eeew, Mars Volta :puke:

Personally I love DT, but both bands (TMV and DT) can be extremely self indulgent. Listen to a few tracks before purchasing I suppose.

Enslaved are an excellent rec... I guess I'd say that they are to black metal what Opeth are to death metal, if that makes any sense.

Ulver get pretty fucking weird at time, but I find them likable.

Agalloch are really "atmospheric" (not exactly headbanging material) but I like them as well.

As for Paradise Lost and Tristania, I don't think either are all that Opeth-y. PL go from doom metal with death vocals (early material) to goth rock (later stuff) and Tristania are also more goth-rock-y with a female vocalist. Draconian are good, if you're looking for a doomier band (they have a chick singer in addition to male death vox) as are Swallow the Sun and Katatonia.

these are all great places to start:

Dan Swano - Moontower
Edge of Sanity - Crimson, Crimson II
Enslaved - Ruun, Isa
Agalloch - The Mantle
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day, Viva Emptiness
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing
Insomnium - The Day It All Came Down
Slumber - Fallout
Green Carnation - Light of Day Day of Darkness

as for Tristania, they're not very similar to Opeth but Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil are great albums. Anything after that is mediocre; switch to Sirenia (same bandleader/singer/writer from Tristania) and pick up At Sixes and Sevens and An Elixir for Existence.

and if you want epic songs to get lost in, with amazing musicianship and compositional skills, then I suggest trying Emperor or Nile. both are acquired tastes but they are incredible bands.

start with

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk; In the Nightside Eclipse
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

Nile is pretty average. emperor is great though.

if you love opeth, you'll probably also love orphaned land. great band.

cynic for the more techninal and jazzier side.

between the buried and me for sure.

tiamat. definitely check out wildhoney.

sigh is just great.

crotchduster of the lolz.

Nile is pretty average. emperor is great though.

cynic for the more techninal and jazzier side.

tiamat. definitely check out wildhoney.

>>pls explain? I don't love every single Nile song (much of Black Seeds is a mess) but that album slays from beginning to end.

>>good call on Tiamat; Deeper Side of Slumber also has some beautiful moments (Mount Marilyn)

check out jeff buckley if you haven't already. not like opeth at all (except for some of opeth's softer times) but he's just incredible.

RIP Jeff. :'(

widow's weeds has some great tracks on it; always preferred them to the other B&B bands of the day, i.e. Theater, 3rd & Mortal etc

you may also enjoy the band "Sigh" They change their style every album. Pretty hard to get into, but rewarding once you do.