Help me, I need to be famous

Chamet

Keepin' it bonzer
Dec 29, 2005
England
What benefits do computer games bring to society?

Arsham Askari​

What benefits, if any, do computer games bring on society? There seems to be a wide number of different views and opinions on this subject, ranging from negative to neutral to positive, but the important thing to keep in mind is that no one is wrong.

People look at things in different ways; something that is positive to someone can be a negative thing to someone else. A good example of this is a reply to a questionnaire posted on three different online communities, where UltimateMetal.com member Mystique1721 commented:
“I like to feel productive so I would rather practice guitar or study for the (really intense) university classes I'm taking”, while member Hedon- commented:
“I guess it gives u a good feeling to be good at something”.

They are both commenting on advantages and disadvantages of playing computer games. Both comments are valid and they contrast each other very well. While Mystique1721 thinks that playing computer games instead of learning a skill or gaining knowledge to feel better about one is a bad thing, Hedon- thinks the opposite.

The results of the questionnaire reveal that people’s views towards computer games are largely influenced by the experiences they have had with them. An example that can illustrate this point is the number of replies to one of the questions on the questionnaire, which was: Name a good thing and a bad thing about video/computer games. Most of the replies were comments such as “Games can be very addictive”, “can take over your life” or “It can make you addicted and unsociable” and “They can often be addicting to the point where you lose friends, money, academic grades, and other opportunities in life”.

Some of these comments, especially the last one, are very strong. The number of people who get addicted to games is reasonably small, but nevertheless, it is a real problem in the world of gaming today.

However, this raises the question Why do people get addicted to games? Is it because they get a rush for playing them? Is it because games can provide something that nothing or no one else can provide them? Or is it that games are the main source of interaction for them?

Compulsive gamers ’not addicts’, a news article on the BBC website about people addicted to gaming, or according to Mr Keith Bakker, the founder of Europe’s only clinic to treat gaming addicts, compulsive gamers.
Mr Bakker says that ”Eighty per cent of the young people we see have been bullied at school and feel isolated”

That makes one think, is it games that affect society, or is it society that is affecting games and gamers?
If games are the only way for these compulsive gamers to get some kind of recognition and communicate with others, then society is to blame, or at least the community they live in, and according to Mr Bakker, this is the case for most of the patients at his clinic:
”This gaming problem is a result of the society we live in today”

But why is it society’s fault? It is hard not to notice the vast amount of games being released one after the other, each more competitive than the last. These games are designed to sell, that is why when successful titles such as Counter Strike, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft hit the market, it is almost impossible to prevent people from getting hooked on them, and with so many addiction cases around the world one would think that the government, the gamers’ parents or even the games companies would do something about this, but the fact is that most people don’t see this as a big problem. A good example of this is Mr Smith’s [not his real name] experience with World of Warcraft.

”I would play WoW all night long” he admits. ”I slept in class, then I would go home and play WoW until the next day and I would repeat that routine for weeks”
Surely someone would have noticed this, and many, if not all of his classmates and teachers did, but did they do anything about it?
”The worst thing about it was that I knew I had a problem and so did people around me, but I couldn’t help it, and no one around me helped me either, I had to go through it by myself”

This perfectly illustrates the point that society is responsible for gaming addiction. If people don’t take gaming addiction seriously, the problem will always exist.

However, that is not the only problem with society and video games. Today’s games are each more violent, more realistic and have bigger consequences than the last. This violence in games that we play today has proven very popular with the one-sided people who blame computer and video games for every violent crime committed by teenagers in today’s world. But, according to Mr Steven Johnson, s reporter for the L.A. Times ”The last 10 years have seen the release of many popular violent games, including “Quake” and “Grand Theft Auto”; that period has also seen the most dramatic drop in violent crime in recent memory” and this brings us to a conclusion.

It is easy to ask whether computer games affect society, but no one ever stops to think about the effects society has on games and the people who play them. The media plays a big part on this. Computer games are stigmatised by society the media and those to whom the stigma is applied are stereotyped and labelled - usually as nerd.

Maybe we should stop asking whether computer games have benefits on society or not, because no matter how much research one does or how many benefits one can think of, there will always be people who will find a way to turn those benefits into something negative.

First of all, how old are you?

a: 24

1. Do you play video/computer games? If your answer is yes, go to question 2. If your answer is no, please explain why you don't play computer games.

a: yes

2. Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games?

a: from 6 to 8 hours

3. Do you buy or illegally download your games?

a: I download only old games I can't find nowadays... so, I buy.

4. How often do you buy games?

a: like 2 games per year :lol:

5. On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? That includes upgrading your system, buying consoles...etc

a: not that much, maybe 80 euros. :lol:

6. How often do you download games?

a: usually one or two every 6 months

7. Why do you play video games? (Entertainment, to kill time, to relax...etc)

a: because I like to shoot demons.

8. Name a good thing and a bad thing about video/computer games

a: good thing is that one single game means months of fun for me... a bad thing, sometimes they give me headaches :loco:

there... you owe me one :)

EDIT: have to edit because chamet edited first

not saying

Do you play video/computer games? If your answer is yes, go to question 2. If your answer is no, please explain why you don't play computer games.
yes

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games?
40 or so

Do you buy or illegally download your games?
sometimes

How often do you buy games?
often

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? That includes upgrading your system, buying consoles...etc
prob about 10,000 kr

How often do you download games?
didnt you already ask this Q?

Why do you play video games? (Entertainment, to kill time, to relax...etc)
its my life

Name a good thing and a bad thing about video/computer games.
good thing - theyre awesome
bad thing - money

OH FUN!

First of all, how old are you? 20

Do you play video/computer games? why yes. :oops:

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games? ummmm, maybe 5-10?

Do you buy or illegally download your games? buyzz em

How often do you buy games? about every 2-3 months.

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? couple hundred, i would saaayy.

How often do you download games? neveaaarr! :saint:

Why do you play video games? to fulfill my dream of being a zombie killing amnesiac and a very ambitious italian plumber.

good thing : have you seen the girls in DOA 4? o_O
bad thing : "oh noez. i like my fable life more than my real life. nooooooo."

18, 19 on the 30th of Dec.

Do you play video/computer games? If your answer is yes, go to question 2. If your answer is no, please explain why you don't play computer games.
Fuck yes.

Too many. I'd say.. 21-42 hours.

Both. I usually download games first, unless they are from a developer I know will deliver(IE Valve, Epic Megagames.. and so on). But I guess you don't need my reasoning.

Three to five times a year.

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? That includes upgrading your system, buying consoles...etc
About €100 every year - €1200 every third or fourth year.

One to three times per month.

ALL. It's just fucking fun.

Good:
-It's fun.
-It improves your skills in English, especially if you are not a native English speaker. Unless you play with retards in games like CS, Diablo II, WoW, and so on - no offense, of course ;) Used to play all of those games before.
-Shooters improve your reflexes, as well as your vision.
-Role Playing-games can actually be very social, and so can shooters - with voicechat.
-You get to kill things! :devil:
-Did I mention it's fun?

Bad:
-You risk that it makes you fucking addicted. IE you'd rather play games than do useful things, like school and social stuff - the former is my problem.
-A potential fatmaker!
-Retarded and/or mentally disturbed people can become.. more retarded and/or mentally disturbed by playing crazy violent games.
-Chicks don't dig gamers :mad:

That would be all.
Hox, signing out. But not really. I'ma spam the retard thread with my rightful thoughts of Norwegian superiority and frostbittenness. :cool:

19 soon

used to play a lot of warcraft 3 and diablo 2....... EXCLUSIVELY. each of these games killed about 2.5-3 years of my life. i quit wc3 about half a year ago and i dont play video games anymore

no

hmm i bought the only 2 games i was seriously playing

no

no, not even when i was playing, i was always the guy with the shit computer playing on low resolution

no

no

good thing: i guess it gives u a good feeling to be good at something, not really possible in games like diablo or WoW as the goal is to be RICH, but wc3 is a strategy game and feeling u get better is nice, even though its just a shitty computer game
bad thing: what para said

Do you play video/computer games? yes

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games? maybe 20

Do you buy or illegally download your games? buy

How often do you buy games?one or two a month

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? probably 500-1000$, only because i buy a new system every couple years

How often do you download games? rarely

Why do you play video games? for fun, to relax, get lost in a story, basicly it's a hobby i use for my downtime

Name a good thing and a bad thing about video/computer games. good, they build motor skills, bad - they consume some people

OH FUN!

Do you play video/computer games? why yes. :oops:

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games? ummmm, maybe 5-10?

Do you buy or illegally download your games? buyzz em

How often do you buy games? about every 2-3 months.

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? couple hundred, i would saaayy.

How often do you download games? neveaaarr! :saint:

Why do you play video games? to fulfill my dream of being a zombie killing amnesiac and a very ambitious italian plumber.

good thing : have you seen the girls in DOA 4? o_O
bad thing : "oh noez. i like my fable life more than my real life. nooooooo."

about 2-3 years :lol:

In the past I played Warcraft 3 and CS for 4 years nowadays I play only when my friends make a LAN party :)
When I played W3 and CS about 21-28 per week (3-4 hours per day). Now it's max 1 hour per week :D
I only bought games in the past (cause i had a shit computer :D. and because the old games are much better then new shit).
0 or 1 a year :D
0. Like Hedon.. I'm the guy who plays with shit computer with low graphic details :D
2-3 in a year
Multiplayer:It's fun to play with some friends, relax a bit. Singleplayer games: it's just a fuckin movie, sit down and enjoy the story(especially rpg and adventure games..).
Good: It's good to be good in something and the feeling that your reflexes and tactics are improved a lot.. it's fuckin good :D Oh and you can make friends...
Bad: There are lots of retards,dickheads and cheaters in multiplayer games. It can make you addicted and unsociable (only if you're a cock :D!!!). Beer and boobz are better :headbang:

In the past I played Warcraft 3 and CS for 4 years nowadays I play only when my friends make a LAN party :)
When I played W3 and CS about 21-28 per week (3-4 hours per day). Now it's max 1 hour per week :D
I only bought games in the past (cause i had a shit computer :D. and because the old games are much better then new shit).
0 or 1 a year :D
0. Like Hedon.. I'm the guy who plays with shit computer with low graphic details :D
2-3 in a year
Multiplayer:It's fun to play with some friends, relax a bit. Singleplayer games: it's just a fuckin movie, sit down and enjoy the story(especially rpg and adventure games..).
Good: It's good to be good in something and the feeling that your reflexes and tactics are improved a lot.. it's fuckin good :D Oh and you can make friends...
Bad: There are lots of retards,dickheads and cheaters in multiplayer games. It can make you addicted and unsociable (only if you're a cock :D!!!). Beer and boobz are better :headbang:

Yes

20-40 hrs

Both

Once every fourth months (or depends what has been released).

$200 a year. Every 3-4 yrs computer upgrade... around $1000

Not often, the only illegal games I've downloaded have been ones that were 'banned' then re-released to the country with things replaced/removed (blood, gore, drug references, etc)

Entertainment, kill time, competitiveness

Good: If you play an MMORPG (or even a competitive first person shooter) and you're in a guild/clan/team you can learn a lot (social skills, teamwork etc).
Bad: Games can be very addictive.

First of all, how old are you? 21

Do you play video/computer games? If your answer is yes, go to question 2. If your answer is no, please explain why you don't play computer games. but ov course

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games? 5-10?

Do you buy or illegally download your games? buy, although i can't say i haven't downloaded a few

How often do you buy games? not very often anymore...once per year maybe. I stick to my old games x)

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? That includes upgrading your system, buying consoles...etc err...100$ max

How often do you download games? very seldom

Why do you play video games? (Entertainment, to kill time, to relax...etc) entertainment/kill time

Name a good thing and a bad thing about video/computer games. it eats time as fast as a fat kid let loose at mcdonalds. yes, that's both a good and a bad thing

Yes.

Three hours, maybe.

Both.

Happens in bursts, maybe one/year.

Ca. $100

Ca. 5 times a year.

Kill time and 'cause it's fun.

Good thing: many children from non-English countries develop their English language skills through games, me included.
Bad thing: many games are addictive and cost a lot of money, which is not good, especially considering that kids are affected.

Twenty and three

Yes, but not frequently.

3 hours/month

I have bought all of my games.

1 game/2 years

300 swedish moneys/2 years

I don't

Entertainment, to kill time, to relax

Good: ... D:
Bad: ........ :)

That's it thanks in advance.
78 hours

23.. I'm getting old-compared to everyone else on here it seems lol

yes, yes I do.

about 4 I think. I used to play A LOT more when I was with my ex (he's a games producer)

Buy.

I used to get given lots of games for free or as gifts, I buy rarely as I'm very picky

Maybe around £100-£150

Never downloaded a game

They are fun, and social. nice way to relax

They are fun, and get my creative juices flowing and make me competitive which is fun. The bad thing is when I get stuck on a level and get frustrated and give up :(
That's it :) thanks in advance.

First of all, how old are you? 16, holy fuck, i'm the youngest on here

Do you play video/computer games? If your answer is yes, go to question 2. If your answer is no, please explain why you don't play computer games. both but not very often

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend playing games?usually 2-10 hours a month

Do you buy or illegally download your games? neither, i don't get new games tbh. i just borrow them from friends

How often do you buy games? almost never

On avarage, how much money do you spend on gaming in a year? That includes upgrading your system, buying consoles...etc nothing

How often do you download games? the last game i got was pokemon off of a torrent to burn time when my internet crapped out, that's it

Why do you play video games? (Entertainment, to kill time, to relax...etc) it's just something to do

1. they're a ton of fun

2. you could be doing something more productive