HELP ME I THINK I KILLED MY RECTO!

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
so like an idiot, i managed to spill a small amount of liquid right over into the back of it.. when i turned it on it made no sparks or anything crazy..but as soon as i flicked the standby all i got was this loud hum and nothing coming from my guitar at all...

i tried a different outlet, different cab setting, taking out the footswitch and everything going through my loop..

nothing..

then i turned it on again and it just died. power will not turn back on. that makes me think that i somehow fried the fuse so i am going to check that tomorrow..

this is one of the most depressing moments of my life.

anyone have any advice before i just ship this guy in to mesa?

My advise is call an amp tech or something and ask for advise before you mess around with fuses or anything if you dont know what is wrong with the amp. Any time i have spilt water on any electronic equipment it has never turned out ok well apart from one time when i my phone got submerged in water and fucked up but then i just let it dry out and it worked again:headbang:

I hope it works out for you man because i know how shitty you feel when you think you have just killed your gear i had a scare when i thought i fryed my amp before while i was setting the bias and smoke came up from the board and i got that you just killed your amp smell that was a horrible feeling:cry:

Im sure some of the amp tech guys around here will chime in with some more usefull advise and again i hope it works out for you.

Unless you already killed it by turning it on, take it to a warm, dry place and leave it there for 24 hours. For added measure, try to find those dehumidifier pouches that come with new shoes and put a few there.

i know i shouldnt have turned it on, but it was such a small amount, only like 2 tablespoons.

is there anything i can do at the moment? its been sitting for about 11 hours now.. shouhd i just let it continue to dry...

last night it would not even turn on..

whats the worst possible thing that could be wrong?

at this point can it even be fixed?

whats the worst possible thing that could be wrong?

A whole lot of burnt components, or even the PCB itself could be melted at points.

at this point can it even be fixed?

Everything can be fixed. The question is: is it worth it? It will probably cost hundreds. If the PCB has melted, it just might cost as much as another used amp. Not the parts themselves, but the work.

Any Dual or Triple Rec rarely goes beneath $1k used, so I doubt it'd be "totaled" in the amp sense! But yeah, Mesas customer support is FANTASTIC, so just get in touch!

the mesa tech just told me to replace the fuse and wait a couple more hours until this thing dries out. its right by the window where the sun is shining..

in response to cleaning out the liquid, there was barely anything spilt so there was only so much i could clean...

i took out the two power tubes that may have been in contact and sprayed some electrical cleaner on the poles then rubbed them through the sockets a few times..

so now i guess i just play the waiting game til tonight..

worst comes to worse.. i may have to dish out 200$ to have the men at boogie repair it for me, im only two hours away from their shop in hollywood.

From my liquidspillingonelectronicequipment experience: a hair dryer may be extremely useful in getting it really dry.

I once accidentally dumped a walkman into a bowl full of dirty greasy water it was fully submerged, so i only unscrewed the chassis and put it near hairdryer set on low heat for about 1 hour (not too close to it) and it worked for many more years.

Thats an advice for future because i think you killed the amp by turning it on when it was still wet.

Hahahaha, yeah i thought about that guy, but the angry was the other kid who throw the game into the water, it wasn´t even played!

guys i think i might have gotten very lucky, i replaced the fuse and cleaned all the power tubes yesterday. and just let it sit for a a day and a half..

this morning after work i turned it on and let it warm up.. and fuck yeah! it works!

sounds fine..

i learned my lesson though!

thanks for all the help anyways, hopefully it continues to work!

Cool man! Sounds good...I would have probably pulled the chassis to see where exactly the liquid dripped, but if it works...cool!

-Joe