Help me to figure out why my Interface stutters on the new computer..

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my new PC, and as always with new stuff I already stumbled upon something that's bugging me:
The audio playback stutters/crackles/pops from time to time (happens like one time per song).
When I'm in the DAW it's the same thing. It also seems like the pc isn't capable of monitoring a single guitar track at 64 kbps, which was possible on the old one.

Now here's the obvious question:
Why is that?

To make it easier to analyze what could be wrong im going to list the difference between the two machines quickly:

-> The old one had a 4 Core, the new one has a 4 Core with 8 Threads (Hyperthreading)

-> Both PCs are using Windows 7 64Bit

-> I was using Reaper 32Bit with the old one, now I'm using 64 (shouldn't matter though, since the problem is occuring outside the DAW aswell)

-> I'm using a USB 3.0 port now, instead of USB 2.0

-> I didn't install the audio driver, that came with the Mainboard since I'm only using the Interface for audio stuff

PS: The Interface is a Line 6 POD Studio UX2

Im very thankful for every idea/hint :D

Edit: Tried it with a USB 2.0 Port - No difference..

Hmm, well I'd say it may possibly be the 64 bit version of Reaper, but you claim it happens outside the DAW so I'm not so certain. Last I tried 64 bit Reaper, it was super buggy and I had to install the 32 bit version and all was fine.

I think it might be a new Line 6 Driver, I'm pretty certain they updated a few stuff since I installed it on my old machine..
On the other hand though, this shouldn't matter when using ASIO4ALL in the DAW -.-

good old power management i'd say. make sure it's set to maximum performance insterad of "energy saving"

Awesome idea!! I know i had it on max performance on the old one. Looked it up here and it's on balanced!
I'll try it and let you know if it worked!

Used to happen w me as well when I had the UX2, I don't remember if if I ever got rid of it? But I remember it would do what exactly what you described. I upgraded to a different interface and now I don't have any problems. Try changing the buffer rate perhaps to something higher? Low buffer rates = less latency = more cpu usage = more pops when cpu is loaded. Even 'til this day, I usually have it set (my new interface) to a high buffer rate if I'm mixing. When recording depending on the situation, I'll bring the buffer rate down.

I think your buffer size is too low. You're supposed to record in your DAW with lower values like 256 samples or below but when you're out of recording and watch videos and listen to music, or just simple playback in the DAW, your audio will stutter and you'll hear crackling noises, solution is to use something high in 512/1024 or higher samples to eliminate the noise on casual listening, while the optimal for recording would be the minimal samples possible. POD interfaces suck so for recording instruments 256 will do okay. I remember recording with a POD interface with 256 and no problems, but anything below caused problems and was unstable.

Try turning your wireless networking off. And no, you should be able to run at 64 buffer size ALL THE TIME... I do, and it's great!

Did you do the windows installation by yourself or did you get the pc fully set up? I'm asking because manufacturers tend to clutter the pc with lots of always-running programs you don't need. Like hardware related programs that keep the drivers up to date or other gimick software. No real need for that most of the time and they can ruin your realtime audio performance.

So if you got it allready set up by them, then I would advice you to do a clean install by yourself and then be veeery careful with software/drivers you need to install. Don't ever use the driver/utility/bullshit cd you got with your pc.

@loki: Thanks for the advice, but I set it up myself and the only thing I installed from the cd was the chipset driver

@The others: The thing is, that it actually worked on the old pc without lowering anything.. And I hoped for a performance boost, when I was getting a top notch cpu^^

Have a look at task manager and see what your CPU is doing. See what processes are running etc. Disable any antivirus software.

Disable any hardware in the BIOS that you're not using - don't just leave lots of unknown devises in Device Manager. You could always test the setup with the onboard audio to see if you have the same/similar issues. Plugins are another possible culprit...

Try turning your wireless networking off. And no, you should be able to run at 64 buffer size ALL THE TIME... I do, and it's great!

I had to do this also. I disable it right in the device manager when getting ready to fire up my DAW.

Also, worth a thought, even if you don't have an Ethernet cable plugged in I believe Windows will keep searching for a connection so I keep my network card disabled also.

There shouldnt be any hungry processes, since I've just set the thing up and I'm very carefully about what I install. I'm using every piece of hardware I have in the pc (bought it in single parts).

To test it with the onboard audio sounds like a good idea for the purpose of troubleshooting

The antivirus software changed since im on the new pc. could be the culprit, but I don't think so beacause it claims to be extremely lightweight

Edit: Forgot about the wireless card thing... Could be the problem, it changed aswell

PS: Don't forget, that the problem occurs outside the daw aswell...

Culprit identified - It's definately the Wireless Connector.
When I'm deactivating the Wireless Adapter, everything's just fine.
Now comes the hard part... How can I use my wireless without the crackling?

Is your wireless installed in a pci slot? Have you tried moving it to a different pci slot to try to avoid a possible irq/resource conflict as Sloan mentioned?

yes its installed in a pci slot. i'll try the usb connector today, if it works I'm going to send the pci adapter back