help me track my guitars properly!

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
Hey guys i want to start tracking my demo, but im unsure on how to do this the PROPER way..

i'm tracking with a D.I. and mic'ing my cab..

so i have some questions that i'm unsure about. they are pretty basic, i just want to make sure i have a solid understanding before i start so i don't have to redo this a zillion times.

i need to make sure the levels are around -3/-4db? for both the D.I. and the guitar track? or should i leave more head room for one or the other??

when i start, do i need to go riff by riff? or do i want to record a little bit into the next riff, or should i start recording the next riff from the middle of the preceding riff? then clean it up from there?

i know i should tune after every take.

i had some more but im not sure how to word them.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have the DI's peaking at around -3/-4 when you absolutely pummel the strings, but definitely have the recorded mic'ed amp track peaking lower, like at around -10 IMO, since it's much more compressed and the peaks are less pronounced, that means having it peaking at around -4 is much more indicative of the overall level being pretty hot, and possibly straining the mic preamp (not a good idea with inexpensive pres). As for editing, it definitely helps to play a little into the next riff so you can make much more natural sounding splices, but don't hesitate to just plow on through, remember where you made mistakes, and then punch in! (I prefer to do it on a separate track and then drag it up/down to the main one) And also, most importantly, tune by fretting the notes around where the riff is, NOT the open strings, or you will be in for endless frustration as to why some sour stuff is coming through; it's the nature of the instrument (and the imposing of perfectly straight frets on an imperfect system) I'm afraid!

Quick question, when im playing through the headphones should i mute the d.i. track? Its louder than the guitar track. Its kinda distracting with its peaks.

should i just be paying attention to the recorded guitar, or do i need to analyze the d.i. track also?

Depends if the recorded guitar is an amp or a pod/other digital gizmo, cuz I find the latter can mask performance errors, but if it is through your Mesa or an equivalent, I'd say that's a pretty good gauge! (better, in fact, since mistakes that are inaudible in the DI files are often amplified to much more annoying levels when put through an amp)