Help: my Recto sounds different every day

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I'm having this happening to me a lot. One day I set the sound and i'm happy with it and the next day when I come back it sounds totally different even when the setup is still the same. Di'd not change ANYTHING AT ALL. It almost sounds as the mic was moved but it was NOT (100% shure).
I also changed all my tubes, but this still goes on...I also run a Voltage regulator. I've also experienced this with other guitar cabs then this one.

http://home.online.no/~mstra/rectifier_day1_day2.mp3

Here's a clip of my Rectifier one day and then the next day. Sounds different!! The first day it sounds darker voiced and way cooler, the next day it sound fizzier. Exactly the same setup.

Only the higher midrange and treble seems to have been affected. Try checking the amp that it doesn't have any capacitors that leak, or anything loose inside it that could do a little short.

Oh and a silly question:

You did wait the same amount of time before playing? Tube amps' sound changes quite a bit until the tubes are completely warm.

For both of these recordings did you justs flip the amp on and record....or on either of them did you play through the amp a bit first and then record. Most tube amps will change dramatically if they are played hard for a while.(Most of the time the get better)

For both of these recordings did you justs flip the amp on and record....or on either of them did you play through the amp a bit first and then record. Most tube amps will change dramatically if they are played hard for a while.(Most of the time the get better)

I just flipped on the amp.

So what you're saying is let the amp work with a reamp-clip in loop for an hour and THEN record?....never heard of anyone doing that yet...can't confirm this myself either... ?

Andy, do you actually play you amps hard for a long time before recording too?

im not the recording expert here but i can tell you that with all tube amps you need to let them warm up (let it be on standby dont turn the main power on) for like 30 seconds minimum, for shows and stuff i would say let it warm up for approx 1-2 minutes even.

also i feel like the cabinet, speakers, room, tubes (pre and power) need to warm up i like playing some scales and stuff at lower volumes once i go off ans standby and hit the power for likea minute before gradually increasing the volume to recording level. it also depends on the climate in the room. there are a lot of factors. all in all these factors shouldn;t affect the TONE that much but def the wamrup time is the most important tube because you are talking about tubes.

I just flipped on the amp.

So what you're saying is let the amp work with a reamp-clip in loop for an hour and THEN record?....never heard of anyone doing that yet...can't confirm this myself either... ?

You don't need to let it be on for an hour, but at least give it 10 minutes cranked so that the tubes get warm. Otherwise you will hear exactly what is in your sound clip - the sound isn't the same each time.