Help Need to find more bands

to me, songs like "the shadow hunter" and "winds of destination" are great definitions for interesting prog power.

i agree that AC wasn't the most interesting album, but it's still pretty mindblowing talent. especially songs, like salvation:suicide, and the course of nature.

anyway, i liked rebirth better than AC. i just figured AC fit better with estMaj's favorite bands.

Fair enough :)

Biomechanical? I listened to a few songs, I found nothing interesting. I thought the riffs were pretty boring and the solos were quite uninspired and sloppy. Could some one guide me to good songs please? I hope this aint really metal's future...

Man... i cannot tell you how hard it is to find someone who agrees with me on this subject! If i knew you, i'd probably hug you right now.

+1:Smokin:

:headbang:

no one's gonna say Angra?

i'll say Angra. especially their latest two albums: Temple of Shadows, and Aurora Consurgens.

if you want to listen to some unique kind of "power/prog/thrashy/neo-classic/heavy/symphonic/(add 108 sub-styles of your liking)" then you should've said Angra's HOLY LAND. that's a great album. although a little hard to process for some people. didnt like the ones you mentioned. angels cry and rebirth are good too.

Hahaha, who cares if two people don't like Biomechanical? Methinks there's plenty of people here who don't like Swallow the Sun, and i don't get upset. I just know it's that much easier for me to get my limited edition copies of Hope vinyl *rubs hands together*

no one's gonna say Angra?

i'll say Angra. especially their latest two albums: Temple of Shadows, and Aurora Consurgens.
Yep, these are the only Angra albums I listen to regularly...Rebirth is decent, but just not on the same level. ToS is just brilliant...gotta be in my top 10 albums of all-time. AC is excellent as well...The Voice Commanding You is probably my fave from there.

I'll recommend Anthropia (official/myspace)...very good prog/power from...France, yes. The vocalist/guitarist is like a cross between Kai Hansen and Dave Mustaine. They'll release their 2nd album in '08 :)

Hahaha, who cares if two people don't like Biomechanical? Methinks there's plenty of people here who don't like Swallow the Sun, and i don't get upset. I just know it's that much easier for me to get my limited edition copies of Hope vinyl *rubs hands together*

What about those of us who like Swallow the Sun and Biomechanical? :lol:

It's just the blastbeats and growly vocals might initially turn off a proghead. Although for the record I do think his cleaner vocals remind me of the vocals in Time Requiem.

Here's my two cents on some bands mentioned in this thread, if anyone cares.

Everyone should care.

[OPINION]

* Adagio - One of my favorite bands. All of their albums are made of epic neoclassical win. Franck Hermany is one of my bass heroes. Those wacky Frenchmen!
* Angra - Pretty bland if I remember correctly. It's been a while, though, and I've only heard one album.
* Beyond Twilight - Above average. I liked the album that was like one song in 40 tracks.
* Biomechanical - Great name, not so great band. Just standard generic metal. Empires was decent; the mix on Cannibalised turned me off after 20 seconds of the first song. No offense, korrpution. Spelled with a K, too. Every word that starts in C is always more badass when spelled with a K. Like Mortal Kombat. Or Kamelot.
* Black Label Society - Excellent progressive metal! The guitar and keyboard unisons are amazing! The vocalist has an incredibly wide range, too!
* Circus Maximus - Everyone knows that they are excellent. One of my favorite bands.
* Evergrey - Kind of boring if I remember correctly. I think I saw them live once and was turned off.
* Into Eternity - Was this the same band that played with Symphony X in the US? The one with the chick singer who was hot but who wasn't very diverse in her vocal style? Yeah... I didn't really like them too much.
* Nevermore - I've "never" listened to them. Haha I made a pun. Kind of. Yeah it was bad. What albums/songs do you all recommend? I know Jeff Loomis is a crazy shredder.
* Nightingale - I dig it, and I've only heard a few songs from White Darkness. Can't wait to listen to more!
* Pagan's Mind - If I remember correctly, I didn't really like the vocals. The music was good, though.
* Pain of Salvation - Good, but not my cup of tea. It's been a while since I've listened to them, though. Anyone recommend... say... the five best PoS songs?
* Porcupine Tree - Good. A bit too mellow and boring for my tastes, though.
* Savatage - Great band... big fan of Al Pitrelli. I recommend Dead Winter Dead or Poets and Madmen.
* Seventh Wonder - I've only heard a few songs (Star of David, Taint the Sky), and I really dig them! Can't wait to hear the rest!
* Therion - Good stuff, and very unique. Nightwish's dramatics with Opeth's atmosphere. I love Lemuria/Sirius, and Gothic is good, too.
* Threshold - Great band. I like most of Hypothetical, Subsurface, and Dead Reckoning. Ravages of Time is easily my favorite song.
* Time Requiem - First two albums have a better vocalist, but Optical Illusion has better music. A bit too drawn out and cheesy at times, but overall good stuff (considering it's heavily influenced by early Symphony X).
* Wintersun - Standard generic power metal with constant double bass (at the same tempo) and little variety. Couldn't take any more than two songs.
* Zero Hour - Couldn't really get into them. Average at best.

I have yet to conduct an experiment with Andromeda, Anthropia, Cloudscape, Frantic Bleep (what a ridiculous name!), Swallow the Sun, and Vanden Plas. I'll get back to you all with my findings, though. My hypothesis is that Andromeda and Vanden Plas will be good, Cloudscape will be average, Anthropia will sound like an Adagio rip off, Swallow the Sun will be horrible, and Frantic Bleep (I can't get over that name!) will be less interesting than a pile of dog feces, simply because Zach recommended them.

[/OPINION]