Help needed - ripping software?

dreamwatch

Syntax error
So I have this fancy arsed new computer with a big hard drive and I want to store Cd's on it (not permanently, I'll be buying an iPod or iRiver in the next few months). Now I'm new to all this but I understand that I will need some software to rip my cd's. I'm looking for recommendations as I don't want to be downloading all sorts of shit onto my machine only to find out it is just that. I'd also like to be able to rip DVD's.

Thanking the techies in advance. :)

dvd ripping and encoding is a complicated and time consuming business.
you have to rip the audio and video seperately and synch them.

If you really, really want to know how ask me and I'll right up a tutorial for you.

In a sort-of related subject, I'm thinking of (nay, planning on) getting an mp3 player. Should I get an iPod, or something else?

Are Ipods the MP3 players that you cant change the batteries on and after a year or so you are fucked? Or is that another Mp3 player?

Yes, those are the ones that the story got hyped out of all proportion on. It's wrong though. No, you can't change the battery, but no, you aren't fucked when it dies. And it's very rare that a battery will die anyway.

BEASTY!!! So good to hear from you! :D

Thanks for the tips guys. Koich, I did a little looking around last night about DVD ripping and I've lost interest, it ain't worth it and I have no real nead for it. :) Oh, and I'm a stupid wanker. :p Spiff, next time you get on MSN talk to me about the MP3 player. :)

Definately going for the iRiver, for those of you interested - http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=72 - there are reviews there, and also on Amazon. I've played with an iPod and they are the most gorgeous things in the world, but a 3-4 hour battery life??? No fucking way.

yeah ipods are very easy to use, the sound's great out of them. The battery life is not 3-4 hours from the people I've talked to, that's a load of shit
+ you can store what is it, 15/20/40 gigs on them, rather than just say 128mb with those puncy mp3 players? you can store a shitload of music on em!

also there is the option of buying an adapter to store files from digi cameras, which is great if you need it....

oh, and if you're buying one, go find a student friend to do it... Or just say you're a student. THey give i think a 10% discount for students? or at least a little discount...

iRivers are meant to be an OK second choice.

I'll be honest, I haven't played with either, but everything I've ever read says that iPods are the bestest things ever. Including things that aren't even taliking about MP3 players!

I was just reading that site and saw this about the iRiver too:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Recognizes a maximum of 2000 folders and 9,999 files.(5,000 music files)

[/font]
I think that's for the 40G model iRiver. The 40G iPod recognises 10,000 music files. The 20G only recognises 5,000 though. At least, that what the websites say.[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]