Help! Where can I find what kind of wood my fingerboard is?

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
I recently got a guitar cleaning and conditioning set to keep my guitar in good shape, but just as I'm preparing to apply one of the bottles to the fretboard I see a notice on it, saying 'not for use on maple fingerboards'. I've an Ibanez RG3120 now, of which I know pretty much all the details in terms of body wood and so on, but I've no idea what sort of wood the fretboard is made of. I checked the Ibanez site and also had a look into the catalogue but no luck I'm afraid. Can anyone help?

I think it's rosewood.

Maple is woody white in colour, the back of most necks is made out of maple if that helps.

The reason it says no maple fingerboards, I think is because maple fretboards are sprayed with the same finish that's on the back of the necks.

Rosewood is dark brown wood in most cases. It is oiled, I think, although I'm not sure.

I'm sure Ebony is, it's satin black in color.

Thanks for the help guys; I just found out it's Rosewood, so no worries anymore. One thing still confuses me about a tremolo though, and that's how to properly remove all the strings. Of course it's not actual removing of the strings that's the problem, but rather how to keep the trem from bending all the way back under the tension of the springs at the back when there's no strings to exert counter-tension. I just slid a piece of cardboard in there now so the tremolo would remain more or less parallel, but I can't really call it an ideal solution.

Thanks for the help guys; I just found out it's Rosewood, so no worries anymore. One thing still confuses me about a tremolo though, and that's how to properly remove all the strings. Of course it's not actual removing of the strings that's the problem, but rather how to keep the trem from bending all the way back under the tension of the springs at the back when there's no strings to exert counter-tension. I just slid a piece of cardboard in there now so the tremolo would remain more or less parallel, but I can't really call it an ideal solution.

Unfortunately there is no ideal solution...save getting a fixed bridge (no trem :))

But you have the right idea, put something underneath the trem to "block" it. If you use a solid object to do this, make sure to wrap it in cloth or something so you don't scratch your finish.

Another thing you may want to try in addition to blocking the trem is to change only one string at a time. It will make it easier to tune the new strings up to pitch as they will not be working from ground zero.
Personally, I don't do the one string at a time thing, but I have 10+ years of patience and experience with Floyds so I just deal with it.

I am very excited to say that I'll be receiving my first fixed bridge electric shortly!