Help With Amp Purchase!

Get a line 6... MY guitarist and other old guitarist had combo line 6's and honestly i thought they sounded better than most (highly overated) marshall junk. They would have to be solid state too. You could get a good loud enough one for a 1000 or under. And Id highly reccommend.

Lev said:
If I were you I'd get a tube amp.. for 700-800 you can get a 5150 half stack.. they're pretty damn good for metal, especially for that price. You can find some VHT 50cl combo's on ebay for arounnd 800.. those are even better :)

Dude you are so right I dont know how I missed this post 5150's Are Great My Former Guitar Player picked up one used once and HOLY SHIT it was Loud its a Perfect amp for Metal and you can easily do Small gigs with it with no problems at all they are Really Durible too

I have a mesa dual recto and I swear by it I thought that ppl talking about how better valves were were just crapping on but after owning a valve amp I can never go back there is just a tone you cant get from transistors.

As for the feedback there are 2 types of noise eliminators there are noise suppressors which use filters to try and cut down on feedback i believe that boss pedal falls into that catergory or there are noise gates like the hush which once you stop playing and you mute your string it will cut off the signal so that there is no feedbackI reckon that the noise gate is much better I happen to have a Hush its an older model tho it has a filter as well which i dont use cos it chews tone.

Soultorn said:
Our other guitar player has an RH200.
B) the distortion is OK.. but it feeds like all hell (any suggestions on how to fix that, btw?)
I mentioned earlier that as soon as my other guitarist plugged in, I started feeding back. It finally dawned on me....Ground loop. I reached behind the amp and switched the ground lift switch and ta daaaa!

I still think the Randall RH200 rocks. I've heard of overheating problems with the ones with vents in the top (oddly), but mine doesn't have the vents and it never gets too hot....and I jam it for about 4 hours straight at very loud levels at practice. Maybe it's because I'm running an 8ohm cab pusing 200 watts rather than a 4ohm cab pushing 220 watts, I don't know. Maybe I just got a good one.

I've recently found that "gain one" is great for kicking on during solos. It has a lot of midrange and cuts through the mix nicely. I just started really using it, via the footswitch, for little solo runs and fills and it makes a world of difference. I still recommend this amp as money well spent. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it. It has a ton of features and produces a variety of different tones. No pedals needed.

(Just remember, I'm talking about a specific price range here.)

For feedback problems, try rolling the gain knob down abit. I know it seems heresy to have your settings less-than-dimed, but alot of times you can still get enough gain at 5 or 6 without the high-end hairy-ness that super high gain adds. I don't know about your other eq settings, but you might roll your highs down, just a smidge. I know alot of metal folks like the bass/highs cranked and the mids scooped out, but I actually like a big fat midrange...
but I also have a vintage sunn(O))) Model T that crushes :)

Otherwise:
What kind of pickups does your guitar have?
Shitty pickups are reasonably cheap and easy to replace, and they're usually a main culpriit in feedback.

Check your cables, too. Shitty cables that aren't shielded can actually mess with your signal quite a bit.

Also, I'd check your rehearsal space for possible sources of interference, like tv's, electric fans (rehearsal spots can and do get HOT AS HELL), flourescent lights...all this stuff will mess with your signal and cause feedback.

As far as getting a cheap tube amp...Fender bought the Sunn(O))) company years ago, and recently they reissued that Model T. It's got a great igh gain channel, as well as a sparkley, high-headroom clean channel if you want to run your own distortion and effects; it has a superb effects loop with separate send/receive volumes for each channel, and an auto-bias feature for the power tubes.

Fender discontinued them, and you can find them new or nearly new (with the warranty) on Ebay for $300-400. Use the rest to get yourself a second hand cabinet with Vintage 30 speakers, and you'll be crushing heads on a budget.