Help with Microsoft Office XP please!

Dhatura

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2003
a pretty how town
Visit site
The fucking Microsoft Office won't start its programmes, instead it says Preparing to install, then it starts to search for the install cd in the cd drive, then it says I should insert the install cd (which I don't have) and it looks for the proplus.msi installer package. I downloaded it cause we don't have the install cd here (but I read some stuff about this problem on the net and the people having the same problem said the install cd doesn't help either), and it says the proplus.msi isn't the right file.

Now what the fuck shall I doooo? :cry:

Has anyone of you ever encountered the same problem? What's the solution?

FUCK MICROSOFT ANYWAY :mad:

Dhatura said:
Yeah, I sometimes think that, haha. It's like "no woman, no cry".

well, my computer wont work with XP anyway so i use win98 at home, XP in university and i cant really understand the extra benefit you get by using XP.

best said:
well, my computer wont work with XP anyway so i use win98 at home, XP in university and i cant really understand the extra benefit you get by using XP.

Well, there are differences and extra benefits, I just haven't really discovered them :D The thing is I'm not a user who likes to change op. systems. I use both, but it's true the more components a system has, the more things can go wrong with it.

w98 sucks ffs.. xp is far better.. but hell!, we are talkin about OFFICE here, not windows!
though I cant help cos I still have office 2000.. i didnt like office xp. maybe yours not a legal copy, is it? same thing happened with me once.. Get Office 2003 anyways, if you wanna be up-to-date, thats the new one, good one.
BTW, which program does it, outlook, word, excel, all of them? If you open a new or existing docu? Re-instal the whole shit.

The whole XP is illegal, haha, of course, MS Office is illegal too. :D I cannot reinstall it, cause we don't have the illegal cd here (someone else did it for us), so there's no quick remedy it seems. All the Office programs are fucked up, btw, when I open the program itself.

I just checked MS Office 2003, it's fucking 45,000 forints so I don't think I'll go for it :/

It's lucky the Explorer works :lol:

best said:
You won't get the full performance of a good machine with win 98. And besides, FAT32 and all kinds of FAT are dead. Hooray for NTFS. You get a nice VLK version of XP with a preinstalled SP1 and some chosen SP2 components and it will run smoothly for quite a long time. Anyway, I'm no fan of Microsoft but this version I mentioned is quite good.

@Dhatura - I'm afraid you'll REALLY need the CD. Install Office 2003 instead. Some bugs were fixed and they added some really nice features to it.

[geek]that what you said about FAT is not quite correct... until microsoft won't release their specs for NTFS so that non-win users can read&write NTFS partitions as well, FAT32 still is and will be widely in use.
apart from that, i'd recommend win2000 over XP anytime. it has the same core, the same features, just eats up less memory, spies less on you and all that. not that's it the best OS, but definetely the best Microsoft has tried to build. [/geek]

@Dhatura, well, they said it all, you will need the CD.

Anyone who thinks Win 98 or 2000 have a patch on XP has never had to administer a windows network enivornment :tickled: . XP is the superior OS in terms of reliability and maintenance, if you want play with technolgy and games XP is the only option now, if you just wanna dial the internet and use word or whatever im sure 98 is fine till it keels over. plus XP wont "spy" on you unless you want it to. Unless you're a heavy office user then office 2000 is fine but xp and '03 have some really sweet features (like the autorecover actually works lol)

as for yer problem, as far as I'm aware, proplus.msi is part of the installer for office XP (tho other progs use a similar name i think too ) so the odds are that whoever installed it either didnt do a full install on the pc and you're now trying to use a feature he didnt install or more likely he ballsed it up and/or never registered it. Either way like others said, you'll most likely need the actual cd office XP was installed from. Best bet is probably take office XP off and go back to 2000 perhaps

why, have you got something to hide??

it takes yer cookies from I.E and e-mails them to yer parish priest so he can see if yer looking at derty pictures on the interweb :lol:

AFAIK other than the having to be verified over the web to make sure its a legit copy all it really does is hook back up to MS sites for update checks and tries to send copies of fault reports back to MS if you let it. Im sure theres loadsa a conspircay theories to be posted soon tho. If yer really worried about privacy ye wouldnt even use google

I use win98B and office XP on a Pentium 3 @ 450MHz and I never had any problems with my Office. The only problem I used to have was before I formatted my HDD when my MsWord would shut each time a document included Excel graphs or Equation Editor objects. However I don't know what caused it because after the format it never bothered me again..............