Help with Mythological Influences in Metal Music

For babylonian mythology you might want to look into Morbid Angel (though they also used much Lovecraft and stuff - but i thoink there should also be sth babylonian in their discography somewhere?) and maybe the ambient noise project equimanthorn.

Then, there obviously is much celtic folk metal and viking metal.

For 'christian mythology', there is satanic black metal (quite obvious, isn't it?). Or for the other side that thing called 'white metal'.

I think Elend's (kind of neoclassical/ambient) last album Sunwar the Dead is about greek mythology.
Maybe also Virgin Steel, but i only herad about them and never listened to them.

Anael on their latest album On Wings Of Mercury. Seek out the thread I made not too long ago entitled "Anael Interview." There's an interview (DER) in there with the band where they mention how they use many different kinds of mythology to draw influences and lyrics. Then seek out said lyrics. I'm fucking serious. I would love to see Anael mentioned in a paper, and it's perfectly relevant so...get on that plz.

Not that I like power metal but Symphony X made a concept album devoted fully to Homer's "The Odyssey".

SymphonyX-Odyssey.jpg

Zephyrus said:
Not that I like power metal but Symphony X made a concept album devoted fully to Homer's "The Odyssey".

SymphonyX-Odyssey.jpg

You say it like it's a bad thing. That is a (for the most part) great album. Although only the 27 minute title track is about The Odyssey.

Euro Power is gay (read: Flower Metal). US Power Metal rapes you until you die, which I enjoy (in a non-gay way).

Wrong again (though kinda right with Slough Feg and Jas Panzer), those are Heavy Metal for the most part.

Helstar, Distant Thunder, Sleepy Hollow, Attacker, stuff like that.

Dodens Grav said:
Wrong again (though kinda right with Slough Feg and Jas Panzer), those are Heavy Metal for the most part.

Helstar, Distant Thunder, Sleepy Hollow, Attacker, stuff like that.

whatever. helstar is sweet, i've never heard these other dudes though, but i'll make a point of stealing them next time i turn on soulseek or direct connect :cool: