Help with ProgMetal...

Evergore

Knightrider of Doom
Jan 15, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Ive been on this forum for awhile now and Id say that I have to be more into the Power side of things but I love Evergrey and I think they are Prog right and Symphony X...anyway I was hoping you guys and gals could help me out and give me some must have prog cd's or even songs to get me going...

Fav Bands include...

Black Label Society
Behemoth
Rhapsody
Opeth
Labyrinth
Evergrey
Iced Earth
Sonata Arctica

I pretty much could go on and on with the power metal but I want to expand into more prog stuff

Thank You,

Wes

A few of my favorites:

Pain Of Salvation - BE
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

The Black Symphony.
Currently disbanded, but why this band isn't huge... I don't know.
They have 3 CD's:
Breathe is an independent release only available on their website http://www.blacksymphony.com/main.html
Tears of Blood is much heavier and darker. It's commercially available.
Both of these CD's are great IMO.
They're supposed to have a disc of cover tunes that they recorded to fulfill label obligations, but I've never seen it.
Sound samples are available at: http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/BLACK_SYMPHONY/

actually with the departure of Rosvold and the addition of their wicked new singer, they changed the title to A Fragile Mind, but kept a lot of the music. it better be released soon!

Watchtower - arguably *the first* prog metal band and in my opinion, only surpassed by Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation - without a doubt one of the most talented, original, and insane metal bands ever - they have a prog/thrash sound
Cynic - a death metal band that turned into a complex prog/death metal band, released one legendary album, and broke up
Spastic Ink - even more insane than Watchtower as far as guitars are concerned, quite possibly at the pinnacle of complexity of prog metal
Gordian Knot - probably the most "avant garde" band on this list and has great bass playing (as does Watchtower) - also more laid back than any of the other bands on this list
Spiral Architect - relatively newer band with somewhat of a Watchtower-like sound except with better vocals and much less interesting guitars
Zero Hour - not as extreme as the other bands on this list but still definitely very good prog and worth checking out - the only band on this list that has ever played at a ProgPower festival [edit: correction, Sprial Architect did as well].
Sieges Even - first three albums are a little unoriginal but not bad - last two are more original and good but no longer metal (they would be even better without vocals)
Sea of Dreams - Keepers era Helloween meets prog - a little disjointed at times but still very cool - excellent vocals
Secrecy - first album has a very good and unique prog/power/thrash sound, second album has a somewhat weak prog/power sound (they disappeared a long time ago)

I have all of the albums by the above bands except for the latest Spastic Ink and Gordian Knot albums and the first Sea of Dreams album. All of them still exist except for Cynic and Secrecy. Sea of Dreams and Secrecy are/were both very good prog/power bands imo whereas the others are all extreme prog bands (oftentimes called technical metal). Another band that possibly belongs on this list is Mekong Delta but I have never heard them. I ordered one of their albums and should be receiving it soon. Supposedly, they have a prog/thrash sound. If it doesn't have to be metal, there's also lots of good prog rock bands like Rush, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Bill Bruford (his late 70's solo work), Brand X, Mahavisnu Orchestra, etc.

By the way, where in Pittsburgh do you live? I live in the North Hills.

Excellent call on Sieges Even, Ninkasi.

Though my favorite of theirs is their least metallic... "A Sense of Change".

Nice to see some Pittsburghers on here. :D

Pittsburgh-PA.jpg

ProgMetalFan said:
Excellent call on Sieges Even, Ninkasi.

Though my favorite of theirs is their least metallic... "A Sense of Change".

Pittsburgh-PA.jpg

Hey Progmetalfan - sweet freaking picture! I'm orignally from the Pittsburgh area but living in Ohio now for work. PNC is such an amazing ball park. I wish I could get back there more often for games.

Since you like stuff with death metal vocals, I'll recommend one of my favorite bands of the moment, Mercenary. They remind me of a cross between Evergrey and old Soilwork. They also have "clean" vox in addition to the "growly" stuff.

Basically, Fates Warning & Queensryche gave this genre it's start. Then along came Dream Theater who mastered it. DT currently rule it & probably will never be dethroned. There are some other great talents you'll want to look at. Poverty's No Crime & Andromeda are very good. And fairly new bands that are out there making their mark are Sun Caged, Zero Hour, Pagan's Mind, Vox Tempus & Eyefear.

Ninkasi said:
Sea of Dreams - Keepers era Helloween meets prog - a little disjointed at times but still very cool - excellent vocals

This got my attention...never heard of this band...can anyone tell me more?

Rock on!

ProgMetalFan said:

When I see your big ass picture clogging up this thread it makes me think of Rainbow, Cloudscape, and Running Wild. :tickled:

Joe