Help?

Anvil

Brain Bubbled
Jun 2, 2004
So I bought a new drum kit yesterday. The double kick that I bought is a right handed one, and seeing as how I play left handed, I attempted to switch it around. Stupid thing refuses to work that way, so I'm really stumped right now.

Can anyone think of a better way to do it? I CAN play right handed, I have no problem jumping onto a right handed drum kit, but I feel much more comfortable playing with the hat on my right. With my previous kits I've always had two bass drums with single pedals, and never had a problem.

Here's the kick:

GI5611DB_NEW_DESIGN.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What's the difference between kicking a left pedal attached to it's own drum and a left pedal attached to a single kick drum? I don't understand how there can be a difference, unless it has to do with where the actual kick drum is placed?

The kick drum placement is centered, my snare and hi-hat are on the right side, hence why the pedal needs to be switched.

Figured I could switch it around. Lefty double kicks cost a good $500.

Haha I would have at least MADE SURE it could be switched before dumping the kind of money a drumkit costs on it, but that's just me lol.

As far as I know, kick pedals aren't switchable. If you've got a tom rack, you can simply place your kickdrum so that the pedals align and still place your high-hat. Of course, of your toms are fixed to your kick drum then you're screwed.

So I bought a new drum kit yesterday. The double kick that I bought is a right handed one, and seeing as how I play left handed, I attempted to switch it around. Stupid thing refuses to work that way, so I'm really stumped right now.

Can anyone think of a better way to do it? I CAN play right handed, I have no problem jumping onto a right handed drum kit, but I feel much more comfortable playing with the hat on my right. With my previous kits I've always had two bass drums with single pedals, and never had a problem.

Here's the kick:

GI5611DB_NEW_DESIGN.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like you can disassemble the thing completely, and just reassemble the right equipment on the left and the left on the right. It SEEMS like it has the braces for both on both. Of course, I'm not 100% sure, as I can't see what the connection for the bar between is on each pedal. It may not allow it.

Another option is to move just the kicks, the springs, and the spacer over to the left. It kinda looks like that'd work.

Not my area of expertise, though.

look at the left kick. there is a screw on the right which goes through the shaft of the kick and thereby connects the kick to the other kick. the shaft doesnt have space on the left side for the screw. so you cant change it i guess

blargh this is almost impossible to explain in english for me D:

Yea, I reassembled it, Just placed my hat and ride on the left side. It's not that I can't play this way... I taught myself originally on a right-handed kit, but like I said, comfortably it feels best left handed.

I cheated and only RENTED most of the hardware including the double kick until I can afford it. All I bought were the drums and cymbals, and I got a hell of a deal.

My intention is to buy another kick drum in the future anyway, go back to the way I used to play.

Emanuele just got an Axxis double pedal for a single kickdrum so we can use other kits when we play live and not have to carry around the extra kickdrum, and I remember him having lots of problems setting it up and fine-tuning it...and that was just a normal setup. They can be pretty tricky.

Glad I'm not a drummer.

I prefer two bass drums, actually. This was more of an exercise in simplicity and ease of logistical setup. We still play with a double bass but with other bands it gets pretty cumbersome.

I cheated and only RENTED most of the hardware including the double kick until I can afford it. All I bought were the drums and cymbals, and I got a hell of a deal.

facepalm2sn8.jpg

...why? Why not just you know, save up till you can buy the equipment you want instead of wasting the money renting the shit you don't?

OH HEY I WANT TO BUY A HOUSE BUT I WANT TO RENT IT FIRST JUST TO MAKE SURE I LIKE IT ALSO I WILL PLACE ALL MY THINGS BACKWARDS IN THE HOME SO I WILL HAVE TO RE-LEARN HOW TO USE MY APPLIANCES! MAKES SENSE TO ME!