Here it is - Maiden Setlist 10/2003

Meh, the setlist is ok, but I can't believe they're not playing anything from powerslave or somwhere in time. They should play Wasted years or Caught Somewhere in Time or Heaven Can Wait, or SOMETHING. They could've gotten something better from BNW, like Fallen Angel or Out of the Silent Planet or SOMETHING. I wanted to hear Aces High too *cries*. I don't mind lord of the flies that much, but they could've put a much better song instead.

Maiden seems to not know what kind of band they want to be. On one hand, they played a very successful greatest hits tour, and on the other hand they stuffed SIX new songs into a setlist already cluttered by songs they should have stopped playing by now. A band with a vast back catalog like their's shouldn't be playing so much damn new material, and they shouldn't be playing such ridiculously short shows. They need to throw in some instrumentals if Bruce's voice is getting tired, play more songs they stopped playing, etc, etc, because honestly if I were to take bootlegs from the DOD, BNW, Gimme Ed and Ed Huntours and mix up the songs from each, I could easily make a show that flows and has continuity because of how little they mix things up.

They're neglecting two of their best albums, they're playing too much off the new album (not even the best songs off it), and instead of say, bringing back some actual classics for their last big-scale tour, they revive Wrathchild (which is so played out it's not even funny), Can I Play With Madness (which is ok), and Lord of the Flies (which is no way even close to classic status). It just screams laziness.

They always play 6 songs from the new album. That's not going to change, especially if they've just done a "greatest hits" tour.

Wrathchild is ideal as an "extra" song simply because it has been played so much, and is so short. No extra rehearsal time needed, no real time extension needed for the gig.

If you ask 4 fans what they want from the setlist, you'd get 6 answers. Plus, they have to satisfy those who have never seen them before, those who have seen a few gigs and those who follow them around the world. Hard call. Needs some continuity and some changing.

If they want to please the most fans, what they can do is eliminate all Blaze-era material from the set and start playing great songs again. They've played The Trooper, RTTH, Hallowed, NOTB and IM so many times that the songs sound worn out, played too fast and bland. Why not alternate songs? They're skilled enough musicians to do it and it HAS to get boring playing those same songs night after night. And I certainly don't see any reason for them to be playing 6 songs off the new album. A band with their back catalog shouldn't be playing shows this short and with this much new material. Their sound isn't as fresh as it used to be, and hearing these new songs instead of their more inspired stuff is a big downer for me.

By the way, in case anyone cares, here's MY ideal setlist based on what they have given us, and what the band normally does:

Wildest Dreams
Wrathchild
Can I Play With Madness
Rainmaker
Die With Your Boots On
2 Minutes to Midnight OR The Trooper
Paschendale
The Wickerman
Wasted Years
Transylvania
No More Lies
The Clairvoyant OR The Evil That Men Do
Fear of the Dark
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden

Journeyman
NOTB OR RTTH
Running Free OR Sanctuary

It's 17 songs, it's a lot more balanced and has an equal amount of classics/new material/underplayed material. Plus, with roatitng songs,different audiences would get to hear different songs nightly, AND it would give people a reason to go to multiple shows! Plus, with Transylvania, Bruce gets an opportunity to rest his voice.

It's a shame to see so many people bitching about the setlist. It sounds if they played Britney Spears... COme on guys, I saw Maiden twice this year, both gigs were awsome shows.

Besides the gimme Ed tour, I saw the first date on the DoD tour in Debrecen, Hungray. It was an excellent show, with great songs, superb light and visual effects. The crowd was extatic....

Yes, they could have played longer but they cannot play all of their huge hits, they have so many.

So we shall consider ourselves lucky till bands like Maiden exist, make good albums, and give great shows.

If you are in different mood then listen to other bands sometimes, variety is good, but one thing is for sure, I often return to Maiden...

Long live MAIDEN!!!

Well I`m gonna see them regardless of the setlist. I wouldn`t give a flyin fuck if they played Hallowed 15 times straight, I`d still be there. Anyway, I got tickets for all 4 nights in NYC. The Saturday Night show is SOLD OUT already. Still some floor tix available for Fri/Mon/Tues, but there was a huge blizzard here in NY/NJ and no one was able to get to the box office/TM outlets.

Any of you wimpy wannabes comin to NYC?? This just may be the final time Maiden plays in NYC, or at least until 2006/7? By that time I may not think farts are funny anymore and will finally grow up?? :) General admission!! NO FUCKING SEATS!! We get to act like Brazilians for 4 days!! :headbang: