Here's a cover of me singing Borknagar's Inherit The Earth, comments, etc.. welcome

Definitely need singing lessons my friend. Also, maybe add some effects to the track after recording. Also invest in something better to record than a computer mic :p It was not really bad in the sense that it wasn't 100% awful, your voice has potential with some hard work you can improve a lot I'm sure. Keep up the hard work.

Your grim vocals sounds like Detsorgsekalf.

Your clean vocals have the level of bigmikeelliott (or whatever, for YT freaks check his Dimmu cover).

On a serious - therefore - honest note, the cover is fuckin' terrible, horrendous. No more words are needed to describe it.

Check the tips from the 'I wanna sing like Vortex' thread. That should help a little I guess.

You guys are dicks :p it wasn't that bad. Out of tune a lot but the tone of Mr. V is there so I think if he worked on it a lot he could have some good work.

I'm just being honest. It's horrible, even if its a joke. My advice, singing lessons are a must. You can definitely improve if you try, but lessons are probably the only thing that will help you. Sorry but yes it was that bad.

I will be honest and helpful, to help a fellow musician improve his craft.

Do some ear training first. You are tone-deaf to some degree, and if nothing else when singing you want to be hitting the right notes at the very least.

Compare your voice more to the original recordings. If you cannot hear the gap in skill/quality, you will need to attempt being more objective about all your musical endeavours to avoid "American Idol Syndrome."

Consider using your own vocal style rather than imitating Mr. V's, which is after all a non-native-English-speaker singing in English, and is a pretty unique vocal style. Later as your skill progresses, imitation is always fun and a challenge, but don't try to be the same as a currently good singer right from the start.

If you have the cash, real vocal training will give you better help and advice than any forum.

The thing is my voice is similar to Mr V in some aspect, I just used his dialect for a couple words in the song to match the song, like reminiscence. I don't pronounce it that way. And yes I typically can't tell the difference between good and bad singing. What can I do to sound in tune? Would singing to lower pitched vocals sung cleanly like Enslaved's for example help me out in practice?

well, since black metal isnt the greatest learning material for vocals, I would suggest learning from other styles of music. Opera, and classical is a good place to start. A long with folk music, blues, and jazz. If you learn how to sing that stuff, you can conquer anything else basically. Learn from the roots, and then listen how its incorporated into all of your favorite stuff like Bork. And get lessons. Get a keyboard, learn major and minor scales, then try to do those same scales with your voice. Trying to match as close as possible, that will teach you what singing in tune is.

as I've never took singing lessons.

don't worry, it can be heard...
but...why? why borknagar, please? one of my fav groups, i'll have some nightmares tonight, I'M SURE! :lol:

Please give me back the time I lost listening to this sh*t.

because were you able to listen to the entire song?
sorry i wasn't, i died at the beginning of the "ohoh" part :erk:

being serious, you can have some singing lesson, of course.
ear can be trained, and voice too.
if a person goes out of tune is 99% a ear problem. there are no naturally false persons (is it right? i've searched on the dictionary and it says false note for a note of tune, can it be referred also to people?), if they have problems in intonation is because they cannot hear themselves rightly.
but honestly, singing is also a natural gift, there are persons who have this gift also without studying, and some who haven't. you can get better of course, but with a lot of study and hard work, but i don't think you'll never reach the perfect intonation. does it worth the trouble?

don't worry, it can be heard...
but...why? why borknagar, please? one of my fav groups, i'll have some nightmares tonight, I'M SURE! :lol:

because were you able to listen to the entire song?
sorry i wasn't, i died at the beginning of the "ohoh" part :erk:

being serious, you can have some singing lesson, of course.
ear can be trained, and voice too.
if a person goes out of tune is 99% a ear problem. there are no naturally false persons (is it right? i've searched on the dictionary and it says false note for a note of tune, can it be referred also to people?), if they have problems in intonation is because they cannot hear themselves rightly.
but honestly, singing is also a natural gift, there are persons who have this gift also without studying, and some who haven't. you can get better of course, but with a lot of study and hard work, but i don't think you'll never reach the perfect intonation. does it worth the trouble?
I'd like to learn to sing, I may take lessons, but I'm doing boxing and guitar already, but I'd be able to fit it in possibly, or I could just read up some online lessons and do that, I learned guitar on my own, maybe I could do singing the same way. Are there any websites with free advice on learning to sing, I've been attempting to use my diaphragm more to sing with now since I made that recording.

it's a matter of respiration, registers, intonation, and too many complicated stuff to be teached online. i don't think you'll be able to learn to sing following a written text or some videos. you have to train your ears, because if you don't know where you make a mistake you will hardly learn anything. if there's nobody who knows this subject very well who tells you where you're doing wrong and how exactly to do it right, how could you learn from your mistakes and get better?