Hey Bryant! I'm off my ass! haha

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Bryant and co...Just wanted to tell you all about a couple of F'n A new bands (that's right, NEW!) that I checked out and loved!!!!!!!!!! They are, MASTODON and DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN. Holy smokes! Their new albums (Leviathon and Miss Machine) flat out STOMP!!!!! If ya haven't heard 'em yet then do your uncle Ted a favor and give 'em a spin! You may like 'em.

tedvanfrehley said:
Bryant and co...Just wanted to tell you all about a couple of F'n A new bands (that's right, NEW!) that I checked out and loved!!!!!!!!!! They are, MASTODON and DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN. Holy smokes! Their new albums (Leviathon and Miss Machine) flat out STOMP!!!!! If ya haven't heard 'em yet then do your uncle Ted a favor and give 'em a spin! You may like 'em.

Great job Ted !!! I am 36 years old and sometimes I get a little..... content with listening to my old favorites and stuff, but if I listen to about 20 bands, I usually find about one I really, really like and maybe four more than are listenable and enjoyable.
I think discovering new things is simply a mindset. I can't bring myself to act like I am a young guy (mentally speaking) and go over to the general forum and play the _______ (insert band name here) sucks !! game. What I can do is keep my ears and eyes open for new bands that might appeal to me. I think it keeps me fresh and more interested in music. I know I still have the old Accept to throw in the player when I can't find something new I like.
Speaking of those two bands, I have heard both their names, but not any of their music. What do they sound like ?

Bryant

Good comeback, Ted! I remember that distand thread. Kudos that you tossed a couple of bands he hasn't heard of back in his face.

So how does Crow taste, Bryant? :)

I've eaten a few times myself, and it's not all that bad. Tastes a bit like chicken.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Good comeback, Ted! I remember that distand thread. Kudos that you tossed a couple of bands he hasn't heard of back in his face.

So how does Crow taste, Bryant? :)

I

Ha ha ha I haven't had the pleasure of dining on crow, as I was not picking at Ted when I made the original post. He was a victim of wrong post, right time. Ted has been here a long time and I consider him a friend and have always appreciated his posts and especially his honesty about his musical tastes.
In a funny way, I think the post I made has made Ted and I even closer net friends, though we still haven't talked outside the forum. The last thing I have ever wanted to do was blast people. It is simply not my style. I certainly wouldn't want to blast a long-time regular like TVF. He is very important in this forum and I like the guy.
I simply used his particular post (not him as a person) to remind guys (and gals) that there is great modern music out there to be found. I am fairly assured that Ted made his post about "getting off his ass" in pure fun as opposed to sarcasm because I felt very bad about how harsh I was in the original post and did the best I could to apologize.

Ryan, I realize I might come accross as a little pompous. I don't do it on purpose. Realize these things about me:

1) I am proudly opinionated as is most metal-heads. However, I don't belittle people for the benefit of making me look good. You will hardly ever see a ________ (insert band name here) sucks ballz !!!! post from me.

2) I get wordy on my posts. I type what my mind thinks. I don't speak that way because I live in The South and my spoken language can get accross my feelings quicker than text.

3) It is of the most importance for me to get along with all cool people because I like people of all types. If I ever offend anyone that acts accordingly in this forum, it is certainly not intentional.

4) I am frankly a little odd (as I think we all are in our own way.) One of the reasons I am a little wordy and busy on my posts is because of the way my mind works. I have pretty severe adult ADD and I wander from topic to topic. I also drink too much beer for my own good which amplifies the ADD.

If I ever offended Ted, you or anyone else, I give my apology. Offending people is not the way I like to do things. I also apologize for the fact my posts get long and tough to understand sometimes, but that's just the way I post. I am just being "me." I don't know how to be anyone else, nor do I want to learn the skill.

Bryant

Yeah, I know you're a cool guy, Bryant, I enjoy your posts immensely. I couldn't resist razzing ya about that old thread though (and apparently Ted couldn't either!). That's cool that a simple misunderstanding lead to a good bond of friendship here on these boards. It is so hard to really understand the context behind what people post on the internet (or in email for that matter). That's the downside to communicating via keyboard...you can't hear the voice inflection so it's hard to tell when people are joking or not.

This fact is particularly difficult for me, because I really like to raz people. I also tend to open myself up for razzing from others, but it's all in good fun. My philosophy is that if you can't first laugh at yourself, you have no business laughing at others. I laugh at myself all the time. As wise as I've become in my old age, I still do and say alot of stupid things!

To me, you come across as a class act, Bryant, and from what I've read on this forum, I am not alone there. Your faux pas with Ted was just that, a faux pas, and we all do that from time to time! The important thing is that we keep our sense of humor and allow ourselves to laugh about it (once the original sting wears off, of course).

Bryant,
Nah...I was never offended. I just thought you'd see the humor in me puttin' one back atcha! I didn't even know that you'd never heard Mastodon or Dillinger so it wasn't like that...I actually was looking for some TAD MOROSE by you and Greeno's recommendation but couldn't find any so I opted for those two based on things I'd read in GUITAR WORLD. (the only magazine I read besides Men's Health, which is ironic as hell since I am a fatass, but like Playboy, I really do like the articles! haha) Anyways, as I said before Bryant and I are from the south and it takes a lot more than a jab on the net to cause hard feelings....I just wish I had as many guitars as he does!

MASTODON rule the earth. Great freakin' band. Sounds a lot like...uh...geez...how about if you crossed Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Slayer with Lynyrd Skynyrd and REM???? Crazy stuff.

Dillinger is about the same. Slayer meets Depeche Mode. What's surprising is that both these artists are a little "brutal " for my taste, but with all the musical twists and turns that the songs make, and the singers going from balls out screaming to actual singing, theres a lot going on. i gotta say I love 'em both and this is from somebody who's favorite band is Van Halen. So there's a lot to love from these guys....

I WILL STILL PICK UP SOME TAD MOROSE, but I just can't seem to stumble across anything of there's at my local shops...maybe I'll try ebay....

tedvanfrehley said:
I WILL STILL PICK UP SOME TAD MOROSE, but I just can't seem to stumble across anything of there's at my local shops...maybe I'll try ebay....

No problems at all Ted and Ryan. I'm not thin skinned and can handle a little "razzing" as Ryan put it. I saw his smiley so I "thought" he was just picking at me, but I wasn't completely sure. That's why I gave my typical long-winded explaination. I might try out these bands, before too long.... but.... Unfortunately, Glenn Harveston the promotor of Prog Power is about to start naming off bands coming to this year's Prog Power VI. One has been named already, namely Thrion and I have never heard them in my life. I have a slow ear and The PP bands will be the top priority.

Bryant

You haven't heard Therion at all, Bryant? Not even a single song? If you want me to hook you up with a few mp3s, PM me. It's an acquired taste for the most part, so you should sample them first. Personally, I love Therion. Symphonic Progressive Opera Metal!

You haven't heard Therion at all, Bryant? Not even a single song? If you want me to hook you up with a few mp3s, PM me. It's an acquired taste for the most part, so you should sample them first. Personally, I love Therion. Symphonic Progressive Opera Metal!

Though I don't use it very often, I have one of those file sharing programs and I was able to find one Therion song. I wouldn't mind hearing more though. The song wasn't bad, but not great either.
I don't subscribe to a certain subgenre of metal really. I'm not crazy about low death metal vocals, but the higher ones (like COB) aren't bad. I know Therion used female choir style voices, some death growls (in the past) and all sorts of different things. They are in the four slot, so they will get quite a bit of stage time. I will check their stuff out.
Prog Power has been very good to me. I have seen my favorite current prog band and powermetal band in back to back years namely Vanden Plas and Tad Morose. At PP II, Angel Dust and Balance of Power played, and PPIV Pagans Mind also some of my faves. I know Glenn will not disappoint. I am already getting excited. Tuesday he will name another (or two) bands that will play.

Bryant

Therion used to be a death metal band when they first started, but they're nothing like that anymore. Starting with the 1996 album Theli, they dropped most of the grunting and thrashing. They started using very distorted upper mid-tempo riffs ala early Metallica. Mostly they are operatic vocals, but not like Tarja of Nightwish. These are classically trained singers who actually perform opera at their day jobs. Lots of choirs and symphonies. The growls really only come in on occasions and they are always tastefully done, as that form of singing goes (not a big fan).

If you plan to just make Therion purchases songs unheard, might I suggest starting out with Vovin or Theli? Those early albums are a great way to "ease" you into the Therion sound (they're raw compared to later releases, but very catchy melodies). Or, if you feel ballsy, just jump into the latest "double album" release Lemuria/Sirius B. It'll take some getting used to though, so please give it many listens...particularly after you've killed off a few 12 oz. soldiers.

Nothing wrong with file sharing programs, I use them all the time to check out new bands. How else are us poor musically-deprived Americans supposed to hear great metal? Sure ain't gonna be provided by MTV or the local radio stations.

If you plan to just make Therion purchases songs unheard, might I suggest starting out with Vovin or Theli? Those early albums are a great way to "ease" you into the Therion sound (they're raw compared to later releases, but very catchy melodies). Or, if you feel ballsy, just jump into the latest "double album" release Lemuria/Sirius B. It'll take some getting used to though, so please give it many listens...particularly after you've killed off a few 12 oz. soldiers.

Nothing wrong with file sharing programs, I use them all the time to check out new bands. How else are us poor musically-deprived Americans supposed to hear great metal? Sure ain't gonna be provided by MTV or the local radio stations.

I like catchy, but sometimes I can "get" really unique stuff and sometimes not. Pain of Salvation is an example of something I simply don't "get" yet I love a lot of prog. I won't dog them out because I respect their uniqueness, but I don't enjoy them at all. Sade (though far from metal) on the other hand, is a band I love yet I don't "get" jazz at all.

A band like that I think has to "click" with me. As I stated in another thread, I don't subscribe to particular sun-genres of metal. My two favorite bands in the world are Vanden Plas and Accept. They ARE both German, but other than that are very different.
Having said that, though many bands I like are prog, there is a limit where it just doesn't sound "musical" to me. Though I write eloquently sometimes, I have severe ADD so my attention span is short and I get pretty much stupid. If bands go too far into tangents, I lose them. I would have rather seen J. Lo (at least I could look at her boobs and butt) perform in place of Spiral Architect at PPII, because they were frankly little more than organized noise in my ears. I;m not knocking the guys that make up the band because they sat down and talked to their fans all night. They were really cool personally, but their music is so far out there, they made POS sound like a three chord rock band.
Though I am long-winded as usual, what I am trying to say is that I don't mind the style as far as vocal technique etc. as long as it is not SO complexed that I can't follow their songs as a "song." I love "prog" but it still needs to be song based like early DT or FW etc..

Bryant