Hey Dan, what do you think of Porcupine Tree?

I'm not toooo found of the singer's voice from what I've heard. I definitely see how they've influences Opeth though! I will try to listen to them more, many singers I like a lot I hated initially!

Dan Swanö;6221504 said:
I haven´t heard enough to tell, really. Any special song to check out??

There's a band who opens for them, Three, which you might like a lot. I was supposed to see Porcupine Tree in NYC like 2 weeks ago, but I was grading final exams so I couldn't go. But my friends got a bootleg of it, and Three was pretty cool; their lead guitarist plays his guitar like a slap-bass, with a lot of classical elements to it. Completely wild. If only he didn't sing, he kinda sucks... but otherwise, yeah. Check out the newest Porcupine, and see if you can look up Three on myspace, they have a crazy sample video where it shows the guy doing his slap bass thing.

I would recommend the whole "In Absentia" Album as it imho sums pretty much all up what Porcupine Tree stands for. It has GREAT melow moments (Heartattack in a layby), the prog stuff (Sound of Muzak) and the "Hit-Single" (Trains) ... can't wait to see them 10.7. live again ! Saw them once 2 years ago ans they were AWESOME !!!

btw ... need Nightingale Gig in Copenhagen ;)

There's a band who opens for them, Three, which you might like a lot. I was supposed to see Porcupine Tree in NYC like 2 weeks ago, but I was grading final exams so I couldn't go. But my friends got a bootleg of it, and Three was pretty cool; their lead guitarist plays his guitar like a slap-bass, with a lot of classical elements to it. Completely wild. If only he didn't sing, he kinda sucks... but otherwise, yeah. Check out the newest Porcupine, and see if you can look up Three on myspace, they have a crazy sample video where it shows the guy doing his slap bass thing.

WTF? Joey CAN sing pretty good! :erk: and they fukin rock. I didn't like Joeys soloalbum but 3 is awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/3

I would recommend the whole "In Absentia" Album as it imho sums pretty much all up what Porcupine Tree stands for. It has GREAT melow moments (Heartattack in a layby), the prog stuff (Sound of Muzak) and the "Hit-Single" (Trains) ... can't wait to see them 10.7. live again ! Saw them once 2 years ago ans they were AWESOME !!!

btw ... need Nightingale Gig in Copenhagen ;)

:kickass:

I highly recommend In Absentia -- amazing prog rock that blends the past and future IMO.

Considering you've always spoken highly of Spock's Beard, I'm interested in what you've got to say about PT.

PT are hands down one of my absolute favorite bands. Their recorded output never fails to impress me, even if it's not always easily absorbed in the initial listens, and their live show is stunning from both visual and aural standpoints.

As for a starting point... without taking Fear of a Blank Planet into consideration because I still don't quite know where I'd slot it amongst the others, I'd say grab In Abstentia, Stupid Dream, and Deadwing for starters. Although I've also recommended that people just get Deadwing and work their way backward, which has also gone over quite well in many cases.

I saw 3 open for PT a few weeks back, and I was very pleasantly surprised. For me it was almost as if someone put Tool, PT, Rush, and The Mars Volta in a blender and they were the resultant mixture. Wake Pig is an excellent disc and I'm very much looking forward to the follow up album that comes out in July.

I love how Opeth and PT have been influencing each other during the last couple of years.

first post!! yay

I've been a fan of PT for about 3 yrs now, seen them twice live :headbang:

Definitly check out Deadwing, (Open Car and Halo being awsome, Lazarus is the softest from the album but good ballad)their heaviest album yet. In Absentia is probably their best known album though, Trains being the epic single that it is. I'm surprised you haven't heard very much but 'm sure you'll like it:lol: