Hey Derron!!

Jax

Forum Goddess
Feb 11, 2002
San Jose, CA
Since you're the 'new guy in town', would ya take a minute to tell us about yourself? Influences, previous band history, anything personal you might want to share, do you prefer Herring in a pink or purple boa..that sort of thing..

And do you have a favorite PofO song yet?

Enquiring minds wanna know.. :)

Lady of the Oracle said:
Since you're the 'new guy in town', would ya take a minute to tell us about yourself? Influences, previous band history, anything personal you might want to share, do you prefer Herring in a pink or purple boa..that sort of thing..

And do you have a favorite PofO song yet?

Enquiring minds wanna know.. :)

First off, if you haven't seen Herring in a satiny pink boa (i say 'pink', but it's really closer to a dusty rose) with a matte black teddy (not too lacy...he had an unfortunate incident involving lace and nose clippers with a former girlfr...uh...i mean...nevermind...) then you have truly missed a spectacular event. Especially when he wears it to lunch at a place called the 'Texas Roadhouse'.

i've only been in one band before, and that was brief. it was just a freshman-in-college-garage-punk-grunge thing. the best things we did were covers of a mudhoney song, and Like A Virgin (yes, THAT one). somehow i've always kept up some drum chops (including double foot work). the last 2 years i've worked pretty hard at increasing my jazz chops. i approach writing for PofO probably very different than most would, since i'm a trained classical musician it's almost like writing a multiple-percussion composition and then i have to work it up. it's fun and very challenging.

jeez...influences. so many. prog and tech bands, but also classical, jazz, world, and all the percussion music i've had to play in college and professionally. check out my bio page i guess.

let's see...here's my typical day: i get up late morning, eat some fruit and coffee, check email, go running and workout 3 times a week (except today...it's raining and i'm really exhausted from doing crossword puzzles all night...does anyone else enjoy Games magazine?), then i teach music lessons from 3:30 until 8 or 9, practice until 10, come home, whip up some stir fry, watch Seinfeld and a bit of Letterman, make some Chai and catch up on work--usually writing music for PofO or my high school drumline or marimba, then i go to bed and usually read for an hour or two, or sometimes talk to my girl for a while on the phone...she lives in Oklahoma. she's pretty damn cool and guess what...plays percussion. exciting, huh?

some books i've read recently: Candide, Of Mice and Men, World According to Garp, Animal Farm, Catcher in the Rye, Anna Karenina, Skinny Legs and All. And re-read the LotR trilogy.

A movie everyone should see: Life is Beautiful. In my personal running for best film ever.

I don't really have a favorite PofO song. From the new disc I like In the End and the instrumental tune. I'm much more into Eyes of the Oracle. I really like complex music. If you followed me around at a ProgPower you wouldn't find me in the auditorium much...mostly just for bands like SymX, PofS, SArch, Ark, etc. The rest of the time I hang out with friends (raises a glass to Gonzo and Tess!!) or look at cd's that I don't have the money to buy. Oh--and for those who were at PP1, you would have seen me about 2 feet away from Dave Gallegos! I was one of those devoted nutcases who sat right next to the stage for 14 hours while Alex moved his drums in!

First of all, Derron, you shouldn't be blabbing about our encounter. You're the one that wanted to audition "privately". All that talk about really wanting "THE PART"...you got it and now see what happens? You've broken the golden rule when it comes to visiting the casting couch. Tsk Tsk.

Speaking of PP1...if you were sitting where you say, that means you saw the whole thing with Chris ignoring the guy in the wheelchair by not slapping his hand. In doing so, you are forever tied to the band and it's history.:Spin:

CH

Derron - Power of Omens said:
First off, if you haven't seen Herring in a satiny pink boa (i say 'pink', but it's really closer to a dusty rose) with a matte black teddy (not too lacy...he had an unfortunate incident involving lace and nose clippers with a former girlfr...uh...i mean...nevermind...) then you have truly missed a spectacular event. Especially when he wears it to lunch at a place called the 'Texas Roadhouse'.
Damn, and I missed it? *sob*

i've only been in one band before, and that was brief. it was just a freshman-in-college-garage-punk-grunge thing. the best things we did were covers of a mudhoney song, and Like A Virgin (yes, THAT one). somehow i've always kept up some drum chops (including double foot work). the last 2 years i've worked pretty hard at increasing my jazz chops. i approach writing for PofO probably very different than most would, since i'm a trained classical musician it's almost like writing a multiple-percussion composition and then i have to work it up. it's fun and very challenging.
Wow..from Madonna covers, to PofO..you've come a long way, baby! :)

jeez...influences. so many. prog and tech bands, but also classical, jazz, world, and all the percussion music i've had to play in college and professionally. check out my bio page i guess.
Okay Dave, how come you had to wait til I quit doing the site, to get a drummer that filled out his bio so fast? *g* ;)

let's see...here's my typical day: i get up late morning, eat some fruit and coffee, check email, go running and workout 3 times a week (except today...it's raining and i'm really exhausted from doing crossword puzzles all night...does anyone else enjoy Games magazine?), then i teach music lessons from 3:30 until 8 or 9, practice until 10, come home, whip up some stir fry, watch Seinfeld and a bit of Letterman, make some Chai and catch up on work--usually writing music for PofO or my high school drumline or marimba, then i go to bed and usually read for an hour or two, or sometimes talk to my girl for a while on the phone...she lives in Oklahoma. she's pretty damn cool and guess what...plays percussion. exciting, huh?
Hey cool, a fellow crossword puzzle addict..hehe!
Sounds like you keep pretty busy..so you're lucky enough to have giving music lessons as a career?

some books i've read recently: Candide, Of Mice and Men, World According to Garp, Animal Farm, Catcher in the Rye, Anna Karenina, Skinny Legs and All. And re-read the LotR trilogy.
I still need to reread the LotR books, I haven't even seen them in decades..hehe.

A movie everyone should see: Life is Beautiful. In my personal running for best film ever.
*adds that to the 'check this out' movie list*

I don't really have a favorite PofO song. From the new disc I like In the End and the instrumental tune. I'm much more into Eyes of the Oracle. I really like complex music. If you followed me around at a ProgPower you wouldn't find me in the auditorium much...mostly just for bands like SymX, PofS, SArch, Ark, etc. The rest of the time I hang out with friends (raises a glass to Gonzo and Tess!!) or look at cd's that I don't have the money to buy. Oh--and for those who were at PP1, you would have seen me about 2 feet away from Dave Gallegos! I was one of those devoted nutcases who sat right next to the stage for 14 hours while Alex moved his drums in!
Ahh the gig where Dave was stuffed back in the corner..that was such fun, right Dave? LOL

So are you planning on attenting PPUSA this year?

Thanks so much for responding, Derron..nice to have a chance to get to know you better :)

Lady of the Oracle said:
Damn, and I missed it? *sob*

Wow..from Madonna covers, to PofO..you've come a long way, baby! :)

Ya know, speaking of...do you remember the cover picture of Madonna's LaV album? If so, then you really haven't missed Herring's getup. Just insert his face and there you have it.

Sounds like you keep pretty busy..so you're lucky enough to have giving music lessons as a career?

Yep...after 7 years of college they finally let me teach little children! Of course teaching anything to high school freshmen isn't all roses. And furthermore, I only teach because I've learned that bumming around in the bohemian lifestyle just doesn't pay the bills!

So are you planning on attenting PPUSA this year?

Don't know...I haven't even checked out the bands. I kind of gave up on it last year...it just wasn't my thing in terms of music. It's cool though, I'd love to go again. Glenn does an amazing job putting it all together. 4 years ago I never could have dreamed of getting to see, if not actually meet, if not actually hang out, eat and drink with the guys in Pain of Salvation or Spiral Architect.

Are you going Jax? I assume so...I've seen you at all 3 that I went to.

Is anyone else from around the forum headed to PPV?

Derron - Power of Omens said:
Ya know, speaking of...do you remember the cover picture of Madonna's LaV album? If so, then you really haven't missed Herring's getup. Just insert his face and there you have it.
Oh that sexy beast! ;)

Yep...after 7 years of college they finally let me teach little children! Of course teaching anything to high school freshmen isn't all roses. And furthermore, I only teach because I've learned that bumming around in the bohemian lifestyle just doesn't pay the bills!
Ohhhh you're a music teacher..how cool!! Man, the band/music teacher my freshman year was a total flaming pansy (nothing against pansies as a whole, he just did it to the extent that it was creepy), why couldn't we have cool teachers too..no fair.

Don't know...I haven't even checked out the bands. I kind of gave up on it last year...it just wasn't my thing in terms of music. It's cool though, I'd love to go again. Glenn does an amazing job putting it all together. 4 years ago I never could have dreamed of getting to see, if not actually meet, if not actually hang out, eat and drink with the guys in Pain of Salvation or Spiral Architect.
Yep, PPUSA has presented some awesome opportunities, both onstage and off, for fans of the genre..can't wait to finally hear next week what the lineup will be this year! I haven't been blown away by the lineup since PPUSA2, but I go every year because it's like a family reunion..the music is just a cool bonus. :)

Are you going Jax? I assume so...I've seen you at all 3 that I went to.
Yep, I'm one of those 'blind supporters who buy gold badges months before the bands are even announced'..hehe. Haven't missed one yet & don't plan to start now.. :)

Is anyone else from around the forum headed to PPV?
Dave will waffle back and forth on if he's going or not up until the very last minute, at which time he will decide to go..at least that's how it usually works ;) Anyone else? Herring, are you going? How about Salinas? Would be kickass to get the whole band there for once..

Wow yeah, Dave and I found the perfect place for band photos a couple years ago, that rock wall near the Fairfield makes a killer background..see, ya'll HAVE TO go now. ;)

hey Derron, whatsup man? how's the drumline work going? I'm in my high school's drumline, 3rd seat, playing quints, and enjoying every part of it. were getting ready for our competition in orlando this april. do you have any good/funny drumline stories? i'm not sure if all drumlines do this, but do you have any nicknames? i'm either Jesus (just because im the only guy in school with long hair, nothing sac-religious meant by that, and you dont choose your own nicknames), or animal (muppets). i see from your video on the power of omens site that you are awesome at snare. i played snare last year, and that stuff your playing doesnt seem as easy as you make it look. keep it up, man! ...by the way, as a fellow progmetal drummer, from what i saw on your video, your playing is really top-notch!

Here's an anecdote as related by some friends who were in the drumline for the Blue Knights D&B Corps...They tell me that on at least one occasion they would be out trekking (for those not in the know, trekking is when the line marches endlessly, through the streets, over hill and dale etc etc working on exercises or cadences...it's a decent method of torture) and the well-known drumline instructor, Ralph Hardimon, would follow them around in a car. Of course, he's too lazy to walk alongside of them, so the car thing is pretty demoralizing. But the funny part is that he would shoot 'em with a watergun every time they'd tick.

I once played 12th bass drum in a bassline of 13. It was at Oklahoma State, and for a halftime show we played 'Sing Sing Sing'. At the famous drum break, we laid all 13 basses out on the field and ran from drum to drum. Okay, that's not really funny or interesting but at least we had more bass drums than Portnoy.

Thanks for the good words on my playing. I don't play snare much any more. Just enough to keep my students impressed ;) Now that I'm writing material for PofO, I'm practicing kit more than ever, so I'm feeling really good. I think you're gonna like the new stuff...it's definitely fun to play!

Oh...and for everyone, here's a funny thing. Go to www.google.com and enter 'derron bell'. Check out the first word that comes up under my name! :tickled:

Derron & all,

Wasn't Carl Palmer of ELP & Asia classically trained as well? I always listened to ELP with that assumption. Likewise, to be a prog. metal drummer is to bring in the many elements of classical, jazz, fusion, rock and metal right? My question is with Prog. metal being a somewhat new genre, what influences are there really? The existing generation of Prog. drummers are still inventing, developing, and refining their own chops. Personally, I just love what is going on in terms of drumming in the Prog. Metal world. I like what M. Portnoy and M. Zonder has provided - a second paradigm shift for rock/metal. The first shift being A. White, N. Peart and C. Palmer for Prog. rock. I think with these new pioneers, Metal is becoming a respected art form because of the multiple styles it brings in and the musicianship it is calling for i.e. Mr. Derron Bell.

Music/Metal should be interesting and engaging. For years metal has be associated with big hair or flashing technical skill and/or poor lyrics. Now with DT, FW, PoO and others we are all witnessing an evolution of an art form to fruition!
Oh! Lastly, as drummers evolve so are the bass players. Who would imagine, six or seven string basses being played in a metal band like a six/seven string guitar! Chris H. is killer! I just can't wait to hear how well Derron, Chris. H, Chris S.and Dave blend!
PoO is extraordinary even within the genre! :cool:

OmDave said:
Derron & all,

Wasn't Carl Palmer of ELP & Asia classically trained as well? I always listened to ELP with that assumption. Likewise, to be a prog. metal drummer is to bring in the many elements of classical, jazz, fusion, rock and metal right? My question is with Prog. metal being a somewhat new genre, what influences are there really? The existing generation of Prog. drummers are still inventing, developing, and refining their own chops. Personally, I just love what is going on in terms of drumming in the Prog. Metal world. I like what M. Portnoy and M. Zonder has provided - a second paradigm shift for rock/metal. The first shift being A. White, N. Peart and C. Palmer for Prog. rock. I think with these new pioneers, Metal is becoming a respected art form because of the multiple styles it brings in and the musicianship it is calling for i.e. Mr. Derron Bell.

Music/Metal should be interesting and engaging. For years metal has be associated with big hair or flashing technical skill and/or poor lyrics. Now with DT, FW, PoO and others we are all witnessing an evolution of an art form to fruition!
Oh! Lastly, as drummers evolve so are the bass players. Who would imagine, six or seven string basses being played in a metal band like a six/seven string guitar! Chris H. is killer! I just can't wait to hear how well Derron, Chris. H, Chris S.and Dave blend!
PoO is extraordinary even within the genre! :cool:

Hey OmDave, I agree with many of your thoughts wholeheartedly. I'm like you--I've always assumed some formal training with C Palmer, but I don't know that for sure. However, this too: Who wouldn't sound like a classical musician if they had to come up with parts for Keith Emerson?? Many times I think the music pushes the drummer (or bassist) as much or more than the drummer pushes the music.

As for being a prog metal drummer, bringing in other styles is certainly part of it for SOME, however, I wouldn't call that a definition by any means. Take Portnoy's contirbutions over the years--tell me exactly where the jazz and/or fusion and/or classical influences are displayed? Maybe they are evident to some people, but to me it sounds more like a catch-phrase just to explain a more complex, sophisticated approach to rock drumming. Here's where I see a stylistic influence--I see it with N Peart. He played in odd meters, as well as more melodic toms, influences of 20th century classical music for sure. He played with more hihat sophistication, a clear influence of fusion drumming. Now take those contributions--Max them out (pun intended), and you have Portnoy. Who really contributed the more recent jazz/fusion chops to metal drumming? I'd say R Colaluca (Watchtower), A Mickelson (Spiral Architect), and maybe Sean Reinert. And though one may argue this, I don't think Asgeir maxed out Colaluca. I hear his own true jazzy voice.

Now...what influences are there really? Tons...more than ever at any time in musical history. It's only limited by what a musician chooses to incorporate. Frankly, I don't see a lot of ideas being shared, morphed and used. There are a lot of prog drummers copying prog drummers for sure. But there are not many prog drummers incorporating Max Roach, Art Blakey, Dennis Chambers, Steve Gadd, Gary Husband, Ed Thigpen, of course this list could go on for a while. I don't think a lot of rock drummers really sit down and try to play other things. They might listen to it, but I personally feel the most humbled, bewildered, inspired and excited trying to play things I have little to no experience in. I guess the point is, that at some point the evolution, the respect and honor, will eventually stagnate unless more players push their own envelope by getting outside of the progmetal box. That said, I wouldn't play anything like I do w/o all the people you mentioned above.

I agree with your enthusiasm and pride on the current evolution of prog drumming...however, I think I would limit my own excitement to about 5% of what's out there.

Derron, Thanks for the reply! Yea that 5% makes for a small collection of CDs as Jazz and New Age makes up the majority of my collection for me. Not that I have the whole 5%! Likewise, when looking for new metal I really have to hear those samples vary carefully before buying. I guess what am I looking for is something more then 4/4 and typical A, B & A1 formats etc. I like complex arrangements with a hook from the band and odd sophisticated patterns from the drummer. Thence, I like Alex's work very much as well as Mark Z, A Mickelson and R Colaluca. I do listen for influences as I like old school Prog Rock too. I not much in to speed so much as I like the nuance and detail of what is being done behind the kit. For instance, how the drummer strikes a ride or a cymbal. I think all the drummers I (we) listed above has a good sense of feel or touch within complex patterns. As you know, it is about how you strike too, right? I believe jazz drummers have the best sense a feel/touch/dynamics. One of my favs. here is Elvin Jones!

So, when looking for influences perhaps I may be a little short sighted or just simply ignorant. I do think that you are correct on Portnoy as a “maxed out” Peart. Yet, Peart is still evolving/re-inventing himself or at least making efforts to. I know Peart just changed his grip to a "traditional" – over hand and Mark Zonder just change as well from "traditional" to “modern” under hand, both looking for ways to stay sharp and on that edge.

I wish not to over analyze music, as it is an outlet for me. I may have not used the proper terminology for what I am try to express above. Most of my personal analyzings is in Eastern Philosophy & Political Philosophy as these are my main gigs. So metal (in particular) that is complex, intelligent and enjoyable is what I have come to hear as an oasis of sorts for me when I am in that mood etc.

Peace,
Dave