Tell us about you :)

Jax

Forum Goddess
Feb 11, 2002
San Jose, CA
Aside from the previous rather lame CotM forum, you all don't have a lot of opportunity to interact with each other..so this can be the welcome wagon sort of thread. Copy and paste the stuff below into a reply window and tell us about you!

Name:
How you learned about SymX:
Your first SymX cd:
Your favorite SymX cd:
When you joined CotM:
Anything else you want to share:

Name: Sean
How you learned about SymX: From a friend at school
Your first SymX cd: V - The New Mythology Suite
Your favorite SymX cd:Divine wings or Twilight In Olympus
When you joined CotM: Sometime when it first started.
Anything else you want to share:)

Name: Kevin
How you learned about SymX: A little before 'The Odyssey' came out I had been looking for something a little more proggressive, but not as much cheese like Dream Theater. So I eventually found Symphony X and got a few mp3s and was just stunned by the musicianship of all the members. Went out and bought all the American licensed albums they had here and eventually have them all now. Never looked back.
Your first SymX cd: Pretty much Divine, but 'The Odyssey' was the first I actually owned.
Your favorite SymX cd: Divine
When you joined CotM:Year and a half ago? I believe...maybe 2.
Anything else you want to share: Hail Metal, Hail UM, Hail Jax and Hail Symphony X :D

Name:John W/J-Dubya/Dub/J-Dub/etc etc
How you learned about SymX: From a friend via Impulse Music
Your first SymX cd: Damnation Game
Your favorite SymX cd: The Divine Wings of Tragedy or Paradise Lost
When you joined CotM: Soon as it was available, whatever year that was...
Anything else you want to share: Worked on the ill-fated CotM news letter, co-moderate the Sy-X forum as well as the mailing list, and am also a moderator over at the Freak Kitchen forum. I'm still an ass! :)
I have been playing guitar for longer than I care to remember, and what was once a way of life has become a hobby I barely have time for.

Welcome, everyone!

Edit: and it appears I moderate here too, at least I can lock threads....:Smokedev:
Jax/Deron - If this is not by design, feel free to remove those privs. :)

Name: Bruce
How you learned about SymX:Kept hearing how good they were from friends who saw them in NJ before they were big
Your first SymX cd:Twilight in Olympus was the first one I bought, first one I heard was Divine Wings
Your favorite SymX cd:Divine Wings and Paradise Lost
When you joined CotM:when it started
Anything else you want to share:traveled to Italy last year to see them and Dream Theater at Gods of Metal..was one of the best preformances I've seen by them

Okay, I'll bite..

Name: Jax
How you learned about SymX: A friend (LarryD, for those of you familiar with him) recommended them back in '97 when I asked him to turn me on to some bands.
Your first SymX cd: The Damnation Game
Your favorite SymX cd: Ohhh tough one..
When you joined CotM: When I created it :p
Anything else you want to share: I'm so thrilled with how the fan club's grown over the years; I hope we'll continue to be as successful as the band becomes more and more well known!

Name: Alun
How you learned about SymX: Can't remember the exact year, but it was well sometime between the live album and the Odyssey. I heard 'Out of the Ashes' on a european gaming TV channel of all places, and promptly went and bought 'Live on the Edge of Forever', and never looked back!
Your first SymX cd: 'Live on the Edge of Forever'
Your favorite SymX cd: Very hard to decide...but probably Divine Wings of Tragedy.
When you joined CotM: November 2006.
Anything else you want to share: Lets see...I play guitar and bass, studied English at University, and just started a new job as Editorial Assistant at Bass Guitar Magazine in the UK.

Here's to the band's ongoing success!

Name: Raoul Montenegro
How you learned about SymX: They were playing at a local discotheque opening for the last incarnation of Menudo
Your first SymX cd: La Nueva Serie de Mitología
Your favorite SymX cd: La Nueva Serie de Mitología
When you joined CotM: Whenever Jax let me
Anything else you want to share: I was born with three thumbs

Hi Jax ;)

Name: Justin
How you learned about SymX: A friend mentioned them to me, but i did most the research to find them...
Your first SymX cd: Paradise Lost
Your favorite SymX cd: Divine Wings, or Odyssey, or V....
When you joined CotM: About a week ago
Anything else you want to share: I love Symphony X

Heyy everyone..!! I literally just joined so I thought this would be the best place to start...

Name: Martin
How you learned about SymX: From a friend
Your first SymX cd: Divine Wings of Tragedy
Your favorite SymX cd: The Odyssey or Divine Wings
When you joined CotM: A couple days ago, but I only just got the email through ^_^
Anything else you want to share: I play guitar and piano and am currently studying for a diploma and a degree in music..

Name: Matt
How you learned about SymX: Copied a heap of music over a LAN.
Your first SymX cd: First listened: Prelude to the New Millenium, first bought: Live on the Edge of Forever
Your favorite SymX cd: V - The New Mythology Suite
When you joined CotM: 2006
Anything else you want to share: Yabba Dabba Doo!

Name: Cory
How you learned about SymX: My brother (EyeballKid) turned me on to them back in late 2002 when The Odyssey was released. I remember my jaw dropping to the floor after hearing the first few songs; the main groove in Wicked still amazes me. I've been hooked ever since.
Your first SymX cd: The Odyssey
Your favorite SymX cd: Four-way tie between Divine Wings, Twilight, Odyssey, and Paradise Lost
When you joined CotM: 2003 or 2004, I think
Anything else you want to share: I play bass and I'm going to school for biochemistry

Name: Amanda
How you learned about SymX: my brother burned a bunch of their cds for me like 8 years ago, and I pretty much died in the first second of hearing "Damnation Game"
Your first SymX cd: Damnation Game
Your favorite SymX cd: Paradise Lost
When you joined CotM: the day it was available to join
Anything else you want to share: I have a worthless bachelors degree in fiction writing. And I worship this band. I've seen them live 13 times, soon to be 16 times after this next tour...

Name: Toni
How you learned about SymX: My friend had a Winter Rose album (James LaBrie's band) and it included an InsideOut sampler cd.
The sampler had Symphony X's The Accolade in it. I think it was 1998.
Your first SymX cd: The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Your favorite SymX cd: The Divine Wings of Tragedy
When you joined CotM: 02/08
Anything else you want to share: It only took 10 years to join.. :)

Name: Kevin
How you learned about SymX: The 2005 Gigantour website I think..
Your first SymX cd: Twilight In Olympus
Your favorite SymX cd: Oi... The Damnation Game? It changes periodically.
When you joined CotM: March '08
Anything else you want to share: I am a musician myself. http://www.myspace.com/kevindolle check me out! :)

Name: Dario
How you learned about SymX: heard some schoolmates talking about them
Your first SymX cd: Symphony X and, a few days after, The Odyssey
Your favorite SymX cd: "V - The New Mythology Suite" or "The Divine Wings Or Tragedy"
When you joined CotM: Christmas 2004
Anything else you want to share: I didn't like this band AT ALL because of the "cold" instrumental sections. After several listenings I discovered many other positive elements and today I love their style. I saw them live in 2007, I had a chance to talk to Michael LePond and I watched part of a Blind Guardian concert next to him :)

Name: Lasse
How you learned about SymX: My sister's bf was crazy about V album when it was published. I was concentrating on Blind Guardian so intensively so I couldn't care less about other bands. At some later point I realized V actually sounded quite good (as did DWOT). So I decided to get those albums.
Your first SymX cd: Live On The Edge Of Forever, 2001
Your favorite SymX cd: V
When you joined CotM: I got the package today so November 25th, 2008
Anything else you want to share: Thanks to Symphony X I'm better guitar player and composer nowadays.