Hey! Is there any information about the upcoming Opeth album?

Mr Samsara said:
I'd love to see someone actually point to where Mike actually said that and not confuse it with him saying he wanted to do a record with an Occult theme.

Buy yourself a copy of the Lamentations DVD and watch the doco. Towards the end of it, he quotes both on the black metal and occult topics.

Anyhow - I'm not going to believe anything I hear about "next album talk". Seeing how GR was a direct opposite of what was said, it's broken any faith I have in what the next album will be. I wish for a return to darker themes and heavier music, but that might not be their direction it seems. I guess we'll see.

The difference between what he said then and what turned out to be and what hes saying now, is that hes talking about actual stuff he's written this time. The DVD quote is before he started writing and was something he considered doing at the time. Now he's saying that the parts he's written are technical and twisted. But it's really too early to start new album talk anyhow. I'm more curious about the side project that apparently is kicking off in january.

The Hubster said:
Buy yourself a copy of the Lamentations DVD and watch the doco. Towards the end of it, he quotes both on the black metal and occult topics.

Anyhow - I'm not going to believe anything I hear about "next album talk". Seeing how GR was a direct opposite of what was said, it's broken any faith I have in what the next album will be. I wish for a return to darker themes and heavier music, but that might not be their direction it seems. I guess we'll see.

Ok... I've had it forever and haven't watched it in a long long time (the doc) so I'll dust it off and check it out.

Mr Samsara said:
Ok... I've had it forever and haven't watched it in a long long time (the doc) so I'll dust it off and check it out.

At 1:03:35 in the doco, the quote begins "I've got plans..." and he explains the rest.

The Hubster said:

:erk: :erk: I agree with you in a great sadness.

Mike even did an interview which he considered Opeth would never need a keyboards. And now, just see, what was happened? Oh God. GR makes me really worry and dispirited, since Deliverance, they've changed so much.

Anyway, Opeth gave us 6 masterpieces of Music, why we still ask for more? :kickass: . Cheers.

Anyway, Opeth gave us 6 masterpieces of Music, why we still ask for more? . Cheers.

Hell yeah couldn't agree with that more. but it's 7:Smug:

I'd like to see them take their good ol time with the next album and not rush things. Maybe dig into their past:erk: ?

Just take their good ol time....................any1 hear a rumored release date?:Smokin:

two replies by mikael regarding questions on next album on the gigantour chat boards.

MetalJack: Hey Mikeal, i read that the new Opeth material sounds "twisted", can you tell us any more about it?
Mikael: There's not much written so far, but what I've got sounds technical and twisted and the sort of music that will need a long time to sink in

chrislovesmetal: what direction do you plan on taking the band for the next album?
Mikael: Twisted and sick!!!