Hey ixrayu...

Ok, I won't get into adaher's whining and attitude about the lineup/strategy, but in terms of the raw numbers he dug up, I for one found them useful. I thought it was odd in the stickied thread how people were saying it was going to be "the fastest sellout ever!", when I thought history had shown that ticket sales always start with an enormous spike, and then tail off almost immediately. After the PP7 experience of great opening numbers and a non-sellout, I'm sure Glenn doesn't need to be reminded of this, but for everyone else it's good to know not to count the chickens before they're hatched, and continue to encourage friends to buy a ticket, even if the first day's sales look really good.

Anyway, it was particularly useful information for me, because I was hoping to have a few more months to decide if I wanted to go or not. The historical data gives me some more insight into how long I can expect to be able to dawdle before having my decision made for me. For the festival's sake, I hope it does sell out before I have a chance to get off the fence, because that just means that people more dedicated and excited than me have the opportunity to go.

Neil

Neil, as a stats person I'm sure you recognize that stats from one or two years is not much to give an indicator on, especially when they are chosen to prove the point and neglect other stats. For example, I thought the fastest sellout was under 5 days. I'm sure that had a big first day sale as well.

Anyhow, you really ought to come. So buy your ticket.

How many other festivals are judged by their opening weekend sales? It's tough to battle unreal expectations at times.

I'd rather be judged on September 7th instead of March 7th.

I'll be honest. I'm human. It really bothers me to read negativity. We work our asses off to make this festival a success. We stress tremendously over every dollar spent. There is no room for error. I'm not Clear Channel. I don't have deep pockets. I try to give folks unprecedented insight to how the business works. I strive to create a family atmosphere and brand loyalty. The only thing I ask for in return is respect in my own house. Don't get me wrong though...I welcome constructive criticism and debate on bands. Just don't tell me how to run my own business....

People have the freedom to speak their minds on these forums, and talk directly to a promoter. Try that with CheapChannel or Red bull or any other promoter. Some people will take that as an opportunity to whine like little bitches (female dogs not women). Family does that; we should feel very lucky that we have this in our lives. Finding "this" kind of music (NON-commercial radio metal and prog) was almost impossible before PP. No other festival in the US comes close to this experience. Which brings me to my point:

If people are basing their PP buying decisions totally on the bands, they are missing the intent of this festival. I have been coming to Atlanta every year since IV, been a GB since V, and this lineup is by far the least interesting for me. But I love a few of the bands, will follow Evergrey till the ends of the earth, and believe in totality that each PP experience is unique and has great emotional value, no matter what groups are playing.

This is a family. And every family has their black sheep. I can't wait for the reunion in September, no matter who is playing.

I'd rather be judged on September 7th instead of March 7th.

Exactly.
Any concert / fest has a HUGE spike the day tickets go on sale.
There is plenty of time to promote this thing well, and get it sold out.

Look at the next couple of months?
There are a good handful of US tours rolling through most major cities where this thing can be promoted well (IE - Accept/ Sabaton, Symphony X/ Nevermore, etc, etc).

Maybe some postcards can be made up and distributed out nationwide for distribution at such shows?

If people are basing their PP buying decisions totally on the bands, they are missing the intent of this festival. I have been coming to Atlanta every year since IV, been a GB since V, and this lineup is by far the least interesting for me. But I love a few of the bands, will follow Evergrey till the ends of the earth, and believe in totality that each PP experience is unique and has great emotional value, no matter what groups are playing.

This is a family. And every family has their black sheep. I can't wait for the reunion in September, no matter who is playing.[/QUOTE]

Well said.
And Yes, I took this as a good old fashioned ribbing from Glenn.:D

Maybe some postcards can be made up and distributed out nationwide for distribution at such shows?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/621909-how-you-can-help-progpower-usa-xii.html

Every chance I get, I mention that Glenn and I will personally mail business cards anywhere for folks to distribute at shows. We appreciate any help we can get in terms of promotion.

If anyone's game, please email me jen at progpowerusa dot com with your mailing address.

I realize some (including myself!) may find it difficult to approach a stranger and start up a conversation, but you could still help out:

Leave a few on the mirror in the restroom at a show.
Add to a community bulletin board.
Ask if you could leave a few at your local record/music strore.

~Jen

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/621909-how-you-can-help-progpower-usa-xii.html

I realize some (including myself!) may find it difficult to approach a stranger and start up a conversation, but you could still help out:

Leave a few on the mirror in the restroom at a show.
Add to a community bulletin board.
Ask if you could leave a few at your local record/music strore.

~Jen

any place you frequent - pub, hair salon, martial arts studio - anywhere is a good place to strike up the conversation and post something :) especially if you are wearing a PPUSA shirt or listening to one of the bands...
i've handed out a few business cards while waiting in line at other shows - dropping the name of a band which is in the same vein as the band you're there to see is a great way to get the information out there...

of course, when you're shy like i am...
:Shedevil:
xx

While you think it is missing the point, I think for many it is a very important issue, considering the expense of attending PP. Fact is, the two I skipped out on had to do with not having enough interest in due to too many repeats/not enough new bands that I was interested in. I have no regrets for missing V (which I missed partially because I had to spend time and pay for a honeymoon.) but do have some regrets for missing VIII (due to the fact that I had to miss the local stop for After Forever, then having them break up the next year.). It is easier for me to go no matter what to ProgDay, because it is relatively cheap in comparison.

But, even with the expense, Glenn manages to put together a lineup that I'm willing to spend money to go see, considering that now out of 12 PPs I have only missed 2. Compare that to NEARFest, which I used to be a regular and now I haven't gone for a few years.

any place you frequent - pub, hair salon, martial arts studio - anywhere is a good place to strike up the conversation and post something :) especially if you are wearing a PPUSA shirt or listening to one of the bands...
i've handed out a few business cards while waiting in line at other shows - dropping the name of a band which is in the same vein as the band you're there to see is a great way to get the information out there...

of course, when you're shy like i am...
:Shedevil:
xx

I tend to wear one of my PP shirts when I go to shows. It is how I met Locust and I sometimes get into conversations about it. For example at TSO last year I had a guy ask me about it since he was considering going since Kamelot and Leaves' Eyes were going to be there. I told him about the bands and the atmosphere. I don't know if he decided to go or not, but I did my job.

How about a wager? If there are more than 50 tickets remaining, I'll give you a lifetime ticket to the festival and announce to the public that you were right and I was wrong. If there are less than 50 tickets after all is said and done, you come to the soundboard, hand me a $100 bill and proceed to tell the crowd that "I was wrong and I will shut the fuck up now and in the future."

Damn - can I go back in time, be a jerk, and get the same wager? I think I'd lose, but the payoff would be AWESOME!

When I saw the Reveal for this year's show last September, I knew 2 bands: Sanctuary and Red Circuit. I am a casual Metal fan. Each band I listen to and buy music of for this show, however, I like what I hear: Voyger, Eldritch, Haken, Mob Rules - I like these bands. I already liked Red Circuit and Sanctuary. I bought my ticket at 10:12am on Saturday because I did not want to miss this show... just like I haven't wanted to miss out on the previous 2.

Show Lineup be damned, PP manages to get bands who make the weekend somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

While you think it is missing the point, I think for many it is a very important issue, considering the expense of attending PP.

Yeah, Ixrayu's point is what keeps me and other people coming back year in and year out. But it's the band lineup that has to get a first-timer to buy that first ticket.

this is awesome - finally i am not fighting it out with someone! could he name a more tired and boring list of bands he hasn't seen in years? most (not all) have toured the US several times since their last PP appearance, again devaluing themselves to the PP audience.

Stratovarius, Angra, Edguy, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Symphony X, or Sonata Arctica

this is awesome - finally i am not fighting it out with someone! could he name a more tired and boring list of bands he hasn't seen in years? most (not all) have toured the US several times since their last PP appearance, again devaluing themselves to the PP audience.

Stratovarius, Angra, Edguy, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Symphony X, or Sonata Arctica

I agree and like I've been saying for a while now, I think the exclusives are a very smart way to go in terms of bringing people to the fest. If you have that once in a lifetime experience it'll get people to come. Bringing in any of the aforementioned bands don't in my opinion. The only thing the big power bands do (since typically they are on tour at the same time as the fest) is push the fence sitters to come.

People have the freedom to speak their minds on these forums, and talk directly to a promoter. Try that with CheapChannel or Red bull or any other promoter. Some people will take that as an opportunity to whine like little bitches (female dogs not women). Family does that; we should feel very lucky that we have this in our lives. Finding "this" kind of music (NON-commercial radio metal and prog) was almost impossible before PP. No other festival in the US comes close to this experience. Which brings me to my point:

Glenn has been tolerant of many asshole'ish things over the years Hell, I've said a few things on here that were not popular, but they were taken at face value and life went on. Just being able to say..."man, this so and so band sucks and its why I'm not coming this year..." and knowing that the promoter is out there hearing your comments and in many cases responding, you don't get that anywhere elses!

To me, it is about the bands. I understand the intent of many of the progpower attendees, the family aspect and the uniqueness of the experience, but, bottom line, its about the bands. I have attended 7 progpower shows, have only met a handful of the attendees, and in recent years have even given up on staying in Midtown for the less expensive confines of the airport area. Not because I don't want to hang out with everybody or because I'm a snob, but more on a financial level. Hotels savings are damn near $500 for the 5 days! Thats alot of ching!

Now that I've lost the point of my response...
Carry on gentlemen

This is a family. And every family has their black sheep. I can't wait for the reunion in September, no matter who is playing.

One bad year and I'm out. It's that simple. That may seem crazy to some, but I have already went through hell when I first built this thing and I'm not going back.

I'll assume you are referring to PPX. And while perhaps financially and logistically it was a "bad year", as far as I am concerned - creatively and musically - it was a banner year. Being one of the resident Fates fanboys, and a sporadic PP attendee (bonus points for me though, being at the first two... :)) I have a slight bias, but all things considered, I had a BLAST at PPX. Even a high class festival like PP is entitled - and probably expected - to have fluxuations in rates of success on different levels (profit, attendance, technology issues, cancellations, etc) but the quality and passion of those involved is never in question. Well, at least from the vast majority of folks.

Ok, my status as an apologist for PPX missive is now over, complete and done.