Hey Mikael, Question......

The thing is even though Opeth doesn´t play "Forest" anymore it kind of bothers me that they don´t choose another song from Orchid for variation. They could do same thing with morningrise, choosing another song instead of always "Advent". A while back it seemed that Opeth did what they could to represent all their albums while playing live. Unfortunately now it seems as if Morningrise and especially Orchid have been downgraded.

They played them wrong on the album because they sucked back then, heheh. I'm just kidding, but I remember an interview in which Mikael said that he gets discouraged when he listens to Orchid because they weren't all in time. He said something about screwing up the tempos. I don't understand why that means they can't play it live and nail it. While I don't favor their first album as far as production goes, the songs are so epic... I just can't believe they're not into that anymore.

My suggestion for an alternative song to play from Orchid would be "Under the Weeping Moon"...I would definitely like to hear what could be done with it, with Opeth's current skills, understanding--and three more recent members, who I think could each do quite a lot to perhaps offer some suggestions and breathe new life into them. That may even get some of the burden off of Mikael and Peter if they are really disgusted with Orchid...they don't have to listen until the ideas are already flying! :) I'd particularly love to hear what Martin López would do with the middle section of "Under the Weeping Moon"...especially the way he's been developing his technique lately (I give him tremendous credit for his work on Damnation), I think that would be really amazing to hear.

About Morningrise I'm not so sure yet because that was the last album of Opeth's that I purchased, and probably the one I'm the least familiar with. Still, I do think I may have a good possible suggestion for Orchid.

KennonKun said:
They played them wrong on the album because they sucked back then, heheh. I'm just kidding, but I remember an interview in which Mikael said that he gets discouraged when he listens to Orchid because they weren't all in time. He said something about screwing up the tempos. I don't understand why that means they can't play it live and nail it. While I don't favor their first album as far as production goes, the songs are so epic... I just can't believe they're not into that anymore.
I bet it has something to do with the fact that those songs have parts in them that are over ten years old...it's like they just want to move on and not dwell in the past. Lots of artists tend to do that, especially when they are not particularly fond of their early works. It seems Mikeal Åkerfeldt's opinion on the first two albums changes with the wind...so who knows except for him? o_O

I agree with "Under the Weeping Moon." The frustrating thing with Orchid is that the potential is BRILLIANT... but the circumstances hampered it a bit. Of course, Mikael and Peter are even better at their instruments now, the Martins are IMHO better at their instruments than Johan and Anders (although they were great too!), and Per should easily be able to expand on the keyboard part. :)

It really is an atmospheric track, that would probably be really cool live.

As for Morningrise... "Advent" is actually my favorite track on there, but it would be nice for them to try something different. I know they cut "Nectar" out last minute for the Lamentations Tour... why not give it another chance, I guess.

I love Advent Its so good live. I love Under the weeping moon, Mikael and peter do some cool shit on the acoustic in the beginning. I tinhk the main reason why they dont like the early albums is because theyhave played it so many times beofre.Think of it, if you have been playing a song for 10+years you would get bored of it too.

Yeah like, By the pain I see in others, Or Black Rose Immortal, Although Mikael loves and is proud of the song, he said it would so hard to nail and would take up too much of the set.

I dont know how they couldve with the long ending, fans would get bored. they could cut it off short but I don know, Hey Chrisemerson, do you know if they have ever played Wreath before?

I'm glad they picked Deliverance material other than "Wreath." Probably my least favorite Opeth song ever.

"By the Pain I See in Others" is cool though. :cool:

I see what you guys are saying about how they're sick of playing songs that are more than 10 years old... if I can recall right, they've played "Under the Weeping Moon" only once sooo I'm sticking with that. :p

Wreath is a great song, Great to open a show and headbang, the cool oriental drums at about 7 minits in to it are awesome. BTPISIO is the worst I tihnk.