Hey new guys, come in this thread!

I´ve read about producers saying they normally leave the breathing on the lead vocals but always edit them out on the backing vocals, this way the lead feels more alive and real, while the backing is that.. backing. That obviously depends on your mix/genre, if you really need the breathing out, try expanding or noise gating I say, or just plain editing

Here's another question:
I don't have much experience with mixing but having attended a few recording sessions I always saw the tracking engineers gating and compressing the drums, mostly shells. Now I've been asked to mix this demo and the engineer didn't set up any gates or compressors (which would help with blasts, IMO) telling the band "it'll be done in the mix".

I feel there is a difference with the properly done gating while tracking and while mixing, I mean doing it in the first place would help to carve the sound better, or am I delirious?

As it's always better to deal with the sound at the source why not gate and compress drums while tracking, providing it's done carefully/mildly?

Because then you can't change anything later. If you have your gate set where you think it's perfect, then he plays real soft on the toms in one spot, voila you've lost toms where you need them. You're asking for LOADS of trouble gating the drums on the way in. We have the capability to edit toms/ snare tracks precisely with a DAW, so wait and do it that way. What I do: Make sure the toms sound good. Add a gate to my tracks in Pro Tools, which doesn't affect anything going to disk. When mixing, remove the gates and manually edit the toms.

It's best not to compress too much either unless you know exactly where you're going, but I do regularly compress snare, overhead and room mics a touch if I'm not going to be mixing with outboard. You can't really 'uncompress' something, so just be careful with that.

Is there a good tutorial for beat detective in pro tools? I found one but I didn't have one of the options the tutorial had and it would be cool to learn how to use it. I have version 8.0.3cs2

Is there a good tutorial for beat detective in pro tools? I found one but I didn't have one of the options the tutorial had and it would be cool to learn how to use it. I have version 8.0.3cs2

Do you have Pro Tools HD, LE or M-powered? If you have le or m-powered, you can only beat detective one track at a time, but there's a tutorial somewhere about how to adapt is easily.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/30466-beat-detective-le.html

Third post down from that link provides a work around if you only have one track BD capabilities. I'd search gearslutz too, tons of threads about it there.

Here's another question:
I don't have much experience with mixing but having attended a few recording sessions I always saw the tracking engineers gating and compressing the drums, mostly shells. Now I've been asked to mix this demo and the engineer didn't set up any gates or compressors (which would help with blasts, IMO) telling the band "it'll be done in the mix".

I feel there is a difference with the properly done gating while tracking and while mixing, I mean doing it in the first place would help to carve the sound better, or am I delirious?

I leave the gating/editing/compressing to the mix sessions.