Hey Republicans

"What is actually right and wrong"

So tell me, what is actually right and wrong? Who can decide that in a way that everyone can agree on it?

what i said was... "what is actually right or wrong in any given situation."

so, i am sure it depends on the situation.

to answer your question - i don't know... but i don't claim to know for everyone.

i guess the best way to decide is to let consequences follow actions. i think the "golden rule" is the best way i can describe my idea of right and wrong. but i don't really expect everyone to live the same way... which is why (imo) i think having a a/b vote solves nothing.

My theory on this is that pot is a major threat to the medical industry and that's why this is happening. I think Obama learned this when he took office and that is why he took a 180 on the whole thing.

It also has to do with where it's coming from and who exactly is making profits from its production; everything is political; the Middle East, Central Asia, and the temperate parts of Africa are some of the world's largest producers of cannabis. These are regions that the US is not exactly on good terms with, grant it, the US government does not want to its citizens supporting their economy or giving them any "leg up" over us. The legal status of certain drugs has little to do with their supposed safety, it has more to do with politics and money.

I really dislike the fact that Federal overrides State. In matters like medical marijuana especially. If the state is ok with it, that should be good enough.

It's called the supremacy clause of the constitution, and it's necessary for the function of a union of states. Unfortunately, that means that if the federal government makes a dumbass decision it applied to everyone, but honestly that's better than the alternative, which is various states enacting competing, incompatible laws that lead to conflict. Examples: slavery, civil rights, etc.

It's called the supremacy clause of the constitution, and it's necessary for the function of a union of states. Unfortunately, that means that if the federal government makes a dumbass decision it applied to everyone, but honestly that's better than the alternative, which is various states enacting competing, incompatible laws that lead to conflict. Examples: slavery, civil rights, etc.

Fuck that, if a state wants to deprive a specific sect of society of human rights and decent living standards then it should be allowed to do so. If a state laws infringes on those rights then piss off and move elsewhere.

the Middle East, Central Asia, and the temperate parts of Africa are some of the world's largest producers of cannabis

those countries might produce a lot of cannabis, but not for the US

almost all high-quality bud in the US is homegrown product...whether grown outdoors, indoors, or whatever, and all the crap weed either comes from mexico or kentucky

Fuck that, if a state wants to deprive a specific sect of society of human rights and decent living standards then it should be allowed to do so. If a state laws infringes on those rights then piss off and move elsewhere.

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. If you study the history of constitutional law in the United States it's pretty apparent that, despite the number of shitty Supreme Court decisions, most if not all social/civil rights advances have come from the federal level. States have repeatedly denied almost every suspect class (non-white races, women, immigrants, alternative religious groups, etc) rights.

Imagine a poor, black, woman who is born in an oppressive southern state. If federal legislation like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, or landmark Supreme Court decisions like Brown v. Board of Education and Lawrence v. Texas, didn't exist, what chance would our imagined person ever have to succeed? The answer: no chance.

It's easy to be pro-states rights when you live in a progressive state as a white male, Jeff, but think about it from a less privileged perspective. I live in a state (and am surrounded by states that are much worse off) where, if federal laws that forced progress didn't exist, entire groups of people would literally have no chance in life. I'd argue that institutionalized racism and poverty still deny many people in the deep south (and other places, surely) opportunities, but that's another conversation.

those countries might produce a lot of cannabis, but not for the US

almost all high-quality bud in the US is homegrown product...whether grown outdoors, indoors, or whatever, and all the crap weed either comes from mexico or kentucky

I was thinking about that. This probably rings more true for opiates (Golden Triangle) Maybe it's weed culture that keeps it illegal? Some of the largest consumers of cannabis are in that nations have political revolutions every decade or so (included lot of African nations, Caribbean, and some European) Thoughts?

I had an interesting thought this morning. In some respects, the United States seems to have more in common with the social, even political structure of nations like Russia, China (to a lesser degree India and Brazil) versus the EU. Mainly I'm speaking on a philosophical level. Just think about it, the size, the all encompassing-sense of diversity, long-standing adaptions to dealing with terrorism or addressing emerging security problems (Russia with Chechnya, China with regards to political dissents, Tibet, ethnic minorities, permits being required for citizens to travel provincially, even to major cities within provinces)

Thoughts?

almost all politics and social stratifications work the same way... balance of power. all countries emphasize it differently but it's all the same shit.

most leaders desire the same thing. to be god.

It also has to do with where it's coming from and who exactly is making profits from its production; everything is political; the Middle East, Central Asia, and the temperate parts of Africa are some of the world's largest producers of cannabis. These are regions that the US is not exactly on good terms with, grant it, the US government does not want to its citizens supporting their economy or giving them any "leg up" over us. The legal status of certain drugs has little to do with their supposed safety, it has more to do with politics and money.

If you legalise cannabis you can control its production and distribtion. It works exactly the opposite way to how you described it.

I'm totally for the legalization of cannabis, for that exact reason, but 'merika is backwards land.

??? :guh: ???

marijuana is illegal in almost every country. infact, the punishment in some other countries for possession of marijuana is FAR greater than the united states... like... uhhh... the DEATH penalty! :eek:

but not in 'merika. possession has been decriminalized in about 17 states (and counting).

i don't use marijuana but i believe anyone and everyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else and it's in the privacy of their own home (in a perfect society). :err:

also, it's important to add that the dutch court is recognizing a more formal proposition regarding the use of marijuana and tourism.

this isn't just an american prohibition, it's global and it seems like the states are becoming a lot more lenient as time goes on. i'm sure the tug-of-war will go on for years to come but the inevitable is just being postponed... legalization. it will happen.

blegh! sorry, i know that was a mouthful. :loco: