What the fuck is this shit?!

Well, it's a bit complicated since the country is so big and each state has different crime rates and such. For example, here in NJ there are plenty of nice neighborhoods, but plenty of shitty ones with lots of gang activity. You can see why they would have stricter gun laws here, ya know?

-Joe

Understood.

Understood.

It also depends who is drafting the said laws. The northeast tends to lean towards a more liberal stance (escpecially NJ and NY), so you can imagine the type of people drafting these laws. :)

I'm not saying they are bad people either, they just tend to be the majority in this case.

-Joe

May I ask why you guys object to offshore drilling? Serious question here, no sarcasm. I'd like to hear some reasonable answers and not just rants. I'm really very curious.

40 years ago this would have been a legitimate question but obviously you are somehow blinded by the pinball map. Go take a look at the Southern California (LA) coastline, then go to the Northern California coastline, and you'll see your answer.

shit man that sucks!
Only been to oakland once and fuck, if i lived there id probably carry a gun!

Oakland is a great city with a terrible reputation. I bet a lot of people would be shocked to see how great a place it is to live.

40 years ago this would have been a legitimate question but obviously you are somehow blinded by the pinball map. Go take a look at the Southern California (LA) coastline, then go to the Northern California coastline, and you'll see your answer.

Oakland is a great city with a terrible reputation. I bet a lot of people would be shocked to see how great a place it is to live.

Hmmm, I didn't offer any opinion in my question...so I don't see how I can be "blinded" if I'm asking you a question dude.

-Joe

Hm, I do now see your concern and I admit that it hasn't been a primary concern of mine lately. I do see the negatives. But, hopefully it can be controlled and done in moderation without severe pollution or negative effects to the environment. I think we should worry about when drilling actually starts. I wasn't trying to be an advocate for it either, I was just curious of the opinions of other CA folk.

Peace

-Joe

In Texas we have the "Castle Clause" as well. Also, my friend bought a 9mm handgun a couple of months ago. In Texas it takes all of 5 minutes for the paperwork to be filled out and approved. It took 20 minutes from the time we walked in the door to the time we walked out and he had a shiny new handgun. Yee-fucking-haw.

~006

I have those Nazi bitches flying over my house 50 times a day using up a gazillion gallons of fuel for their war-whore flying machines and their oil corporation criminal helicopters. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth all day long dreaming their EVIL schemes above my head. FUCK THEM!!!!

It's fun to rage a bit. :headbang::Smokin:

James, that was a really great post in regards to gun control and I agree with every last thing you said. I also want to mention how lame the so-called "Gun Free Zone" is, which you can find around many schools around the US (and perhaps more places?). It basically means that you're not allowed to bring a gun into a specified area (an entire campus, for example), and in turn that policy is supposed to make the inhabitants of that area feel safe; "There are no guns here! Yay!". You can probably already see why this is a bad idea. As James mentioned, disobeying rules or laws is the very thing that makes a criminal a criminal, so in proclaiming an area a "Gun Free Zone", you are taking guns out of the hands of every single law-abiding citizen, and basically telling murderers that they will meet defenseless victims and encounter no resistance should they decide to go on a rampage (I'm borrowing some of that wording from http://www.gunlaws.com/GFZ/GFZ-BillReview.htm, which is a very good read). Just think about the Virginia Tech shootings...I don't remember the exact death toll, but I know it was over 30 people. Just imagine for a second how the whole event would have turned out, had there been a student in the room, even across the freaking hallway, with a concealed weapons permit. Do you think the shooter would have made 30 kills before he was put down? I highly, highly doubt it.

Also from that website (I just want to post it here because it's relevant, and I like the way it's written):

The idea that gun-free zones are safe is fraudulent.

It is a mythology perpetrated by anti-rights activists who can often be recognized by their beliefs that:

1 - self defense should be illegal,
2 - guns should be confiscated,
3 - no one but "authorities" should have guns,
4 - your right to arms can be denied by posting signs,
5 - government can take care of you better than you can.

The anti-self-defense lobby would tell you to rely upon the police for your safety, but they always omit the inconvenient facts that:

1 - police have no legal duty to protect you;

2 - they routinely respond only after an event to pick up the pieces;

3 - when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

That's a very interesting story, James and I'm glad you got out of it alive. Since theres already tens of millions of guns in America, it would be irresponsible to start gun control because it would leave millions of law-abiding citizens with no proper means of self-defense against gun-toting criminals. However, by a completely different token, where a country like Australia has not too many guns in the country at all and reasonably effective customs, guns for self defense are pretty much not as necessary at all. It saddens me as well how widespread availability of arms also facilitates suicide.

James, that was a really great post in regards to gun control and I agree with every last thing you said. I also want to mention how lame the so-called "Gun Free Zone" is, which you can find around many schools around the US (and perhaps more places?). It basically means that you're not allowed to bring a gun into a specified area (an entire campus, for example), and in turn that policy is supposed to make the inhabitants of that area feel safe; "There are no guns here! Yay!". You can probably already see why this is a bad idea. As James mentioned, disobeying rules or laws is the very thing that makes a criminal a criminal, so in proclaiming an area a "Gun Free Zone", you are taking guns out of the hands of every single law-abiding citizen, and basically telling murderers that they will meet defenseless victims and encounter no resistance should they decide to go on a rampage (I'm borrowing some of that wording from http://www.gunlaws.com/GFZ/GFZ-BillReview.htm, which is a very good read). Just think about the Virginia Tech shootings...I don't remember the exact death toll, but I know it was over 30 people. Just imagine for a second how the whole event would have turned out, had there been a student in the room, even across the freaking hallway, with a concealed weapons permit. Do you think the shooter would have made 30 kills before he was put down? I highly, highly doubt it.

Also from that website (I just want to post it here because it's relevant, and I like the way it's written):

The idea that gun-free zones are safe is fraudulent.

It is a mythology perpetrated by anti-rights activists who can often be recognized by their beliefs that:

1 - self defense should be illegal,
2 - guns should be confiscated,
3 - no one but "authorities" should have guns,
4 - your right to arms can be denied by posting signs,
5 - government can take care of you better than you can.

The anti-self-defense lobby would tell you to rely upon the police for your safety, but they always omit the inconvenient facts that:

1 - police have no legal duty to protect you;

2 - they routinely respond only after an event to pick up the pieces;

3 - when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Great post dude. :)

I agree a bajillion percent.

I'm stuck with what to think on guns. I know self defense is important but I can't ignore what has happened when guns get into the wrong hands. It is something that can never be ignored.

When I was 8, A girl at my school's life was taken, along with that off her mum and 5 year old brother. She was shot by her father. He brought the gun from a shop only a few days before it happened, even though he had a history of mental illness and a restraining order against this girls mum. He broke into the house, and shot the girls mother, the girl and then the boy.

Also, 2 years ago, one of my closest friends brother took his own life. He put a sheet over his head, shotgun to the mouth and pulled the trigger. He shouldn't have been able to get the gun, it should have been locked away.

I know this is something that happens, but guns can't be thought of as good things. They should never be allowed into anyones hands, to give someone the power to take a life at the click of a button is sick. I know that guns are there and we need to control them, they will not go away, so I cannot decide what I think the best thing to do would be.

I'm sorry to deviate from the original topic, and I disagree with drilling, and the whole republican attitude towoards the environment, but I could accept offshore drilling only in incredibly tightly controlled situations, with as little environmental impact as possible.

Joe

I'm with Joe re: the gun issue. Really stuck on what to think. Whilst I am a big advocate of self defense to a lethal extent and the 'Castle' clause (neither of which seem to exist here in Oz), I can't help but feel that having those guns circulating so freely cannot be a good thing. I really can't see how much good could ever come from circulating more arms amongst the general populace, most of whom I wouldn't even trust to be able to drive safely, much less handle a firearm. In theory it's great; You have a weapon and can defend yourself. Yet it so rarely ever seems to play out that simply.

As mentioned, guns are less of an issue here in Oz, so my view may be somewhat diluted as to what's happening in the US. To hear James' story about the studio being robbed, then the robbers actually deliberating on whether to kill 3 people simply to take some shit is despicable. To my knowledge, only the very worst & most depraved crimes here in Oz involve such degenerate perpetrators. Unfortunately you tend to find these people all over the world, although admittedly in varying proportions. It just seems to be a symptom of the human condition.

The sort of situation that warrants needing to arm the general public with firearms should be viewed as an EPIC failure on the government's part way back whenever gun-toting robberies ever became a problem. Creating a sort of social climate where people fear for their lives constantly and need to have firearms around is the real sad thing about all this. Having a firearm within reach, next to studio gear would sound insane if you mentioned it to anybody here. That alone implies how much worse the situation is over in the US.

Re: the oil. That's fucked up. I can't believe we haven't implemented viable alternative energy sources by now.

I'm sorry to deviate from the original topic, and I disagree with drilling, and the whole republican attitude towoards the environment, but I could accept offshore drilling only in incredibly tightly controlled situations, with as little environmental impact as possible.

Joe

Norway seems to be held up as the prime example of responsible offshore driling, but I can't help but think that that came after many generations more of human environmental impact than what we see in California or Alaska.

Thanks for the reply moonlapse, you have pretty much summarised my thoughts exactly.

I dislike the defence argument, mainly because if everyone has a gun we are back at square one, just disputes can become deadly. Bad analogy, but look at World War 1, and the balance of power. It didn't work, and for me the self defence argument doesn't work, but for now it is all we can do. I say "we" but I live in england now and the gun threat is less of an issue, the way it should be (not to say it can't get better).

Dreamcatcher- I'm not sure what you mean by your reply, but I see offshore drilling as low on the favoured options list.

Joe