What the fuck is with drummers attitudes towards recording?

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
Out of all the musicians I work with they're always the least willing to experiment, and approach things differently for the sake of the recording.

Let me say that again, ahem:

FOR THE SAKE OF THE RECORDING

You fuckin pompous cunt.

My own drummer is the same fuckin way. He says daft shit like "nah mate I won't be punching in, if i fuck up I wanna do it all over again". Really? You want to waste my time and the band's money just so you can be proud of yourself? He refuses to sound replace, even just to blend, and has really fuckin retarded ideas about drum sounds that will just completely ruin the mix for everyone else.

Also, the drummer I'm tracking tomorrow night has now turned around and said he doesn't want his drums "fucked with", even though we discussed trying a few things. Apparently he's one of those drummers who just sets up and plays. Doesn't tune, doesn't think about spacing, or getting the best dynamics. So, what, because I'm not a drummer I'm supposed to just fuckin let him set everything up and hit the big red button?

Why am I there then? And don't say money, because at this rate it ain't fuckin worth it :devil:

/rant

At the end of the day, they should be hiring you because they like the results and sounds you get. If they're unwilling to work with you to get the results and sounds you were hired to get, dump 'em.

+10000000000000

I just told a band to fuck off cause of their drummer. He refused to allow me to do what I needed to do to get his drums to sound the very best possible. So I told him either we do it my way or I sounds replace everything. Then he cried, told me I don't know what the fuck I am doing, "the bands I listen to don't use samples..bla bla bla"....(by the way its Pantera, Nevermore, and Meshuggah ..lol) and from there decided to start tearing down his kit.

I said OK, walked out of the studio with my deposit and said, have a nice life.

Heard a few days ago he did the same thing to another local producer who told him the same thing.

He says daft shit like "nah mate I won't be punching in, if i fuck up I wanna do it all over again". Really? You want to waste my time and the band's money just so you can be proud of yourself?

I'm having to deal with this type of thing right now with our guy as well. He never tracked to clicks before, and he does keep a very good time even without a click, but it's still sorta new to him and he is now noticing that he always plays a bit off tempo in our songs. He gets really frustrated at times and I try to keep him cool and have fun with it. It's hard for me because this is only my second time recording our whole band and I'm trying to do things on the spot that I dont have much (if any) experience doing, which slows everything down.

At the end of the day, they should be hiring you because they like the results and sounds you get. If they're unwilling to work with you to get the results and sounds you were hired to get, dump 'em.
Exactly what i say to my clients if it comes to this sort of complications...

For some reason, a large majority of drummers don't go the extra miles to learn about their gear or music.

You see guitarists all the time, knowing how to:
solder their own electronics,
set up their own guitar bridges,
knowing technical info about guitars and amps and getting good tone,
and actually having a practice routine and learning about music.

On the other hand, I see drummers all the time that:

Don't know how to tune their drums (or think they can by just tuning them to pitches that "sound good")
Don't practice with a metronome
Don't know how to read music (Even guitarists who cant read music can at least read/write basic rhythms from learning from guitar pro)
Don't know how to maintain/care for their drums
Think they are super professional and better than all these famous drummers.

I love him but my drummer didn't even know how to work his triggers and the module for like a year, I had to set the module up because he didnt read the manual.
For the longest time he didnt even know how triggers worked, he thought that they were tiny microphones (like instrument microphones) and that the sound produced by the module was his actual bass drum.

He used to get all these mistriggers and would blame "the triggers" (he referred to the module as The triggers) and not even look up online his problem that his sensitivity was too high.

Also on that note, I'm sure you've all heard this one before: The anti-triggers drummers who are like "triggers sound like shit" when they don't realize that there is more than one kick sample on the planet
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is all so very true. I'm not going to say that ALL of them are like this, but a lot are. They are supposed to be the time keepers of the band, the heartbeat. And they HATE to be told, or proven for that matter, that they aren't on time. But for the sake of the recording and the band, they need to suck it up and put personal pride aside.

For some reason, a large majority of drummers don't go the extra miles to learn about their gear or music.

I would go a step further and say not only do they not learn about it, they actually go out of their way NOT to learn it.

As a drummer, I can say this:

I blame modern drummer magazine. Seriously. IF you read that magazine they glamorize the drummers of the past, and even when they interview newer drummers, samples/editing rarely come up. In fact I read an article with a drummer I EDITED SEVERELY on an entire album, say in the interview that he "never lets anyone edit my drums, and no samples". Straight up lying, but people read that and take it as fact.

I blame modern drummer magazine. Seriously. IF you read that magazine they glamorize the drummers of the past, and even when they interview newer drummers, samples/editing rarely come up. In fact I read an article with a drummer I EDITED SEVERELY on an entire album, say in the interview that he "never lets anyone edit my drums, and no samples". Straight up lying, but people read that and take it as fact.

That seriously pisses me off, and I think the lesson to be learned here is to just say "yeah, sure, whatever" to their asinine demands - and then do it anyway and not tell them

even when they interview newer drummers, samples/editing rarely come up.

Why would it though? Why would a drummer magazine have to talk about editing drums? "This is what AEs have to go through because you suck"?

Plus, the vast majority of music listeners don't know their music uses samples. I imagine it would be like showing the crowd that the band's huge amp stacks aren't real... It takes away from the illusion.

In fact I read an article with a drummer I EDITED SEVERELY on an entire album, say in the interview that he "never lets anyone edit my drums, and no samples". Straight up lying, but people read that and take it as fact.

I really hate people like this. Hopefully, after that review, no AE will record him ever again. We all know that isn't going to happen though...

I play every instrument. I record performances on every instrument. Ive played live as a drummer. Played live with a drummer. These generalizations are really old... really retarded. Guitarists, vocalists, bassists... pull the same amount of shit themselves. Should I start a thread bitching about guys showing up without backup guitars and their main axe has old fucked up strings out of tune?

Make your point on people's lack of flexibility. Stop fucking pointing at one group already.

I play every instrument. I record performances on every instrument. Ive played live as a drummer. Played live with a drummer. These generalizations are really old... really retarded. Guitarists, vocalists, bassists... pull the same amount of shit themselves. Should I start a thread bitching about guys showing up without backup guitars and their main axe has old fucked up strings out of tune?

Make your point on people's lack of flexibility. Stop fucking pointing at one group already.

I love the irony here :lol:

I agree with your point though.

I would go a step further and say not only do they not learn about it, they actually go out of their way NOT to learn it.

As a drummer, I can say this:

Yeah this is really gay , and I totally hear you. My old band's drummer wanted a "natural" sound with no samples that sounded like LOG , Divine Heresy or Devildriver :lol: