hey smarties: tell me about box turtles

minxnim

meow
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
i used to have one of these dudes like, FOREVER when i was a kid but i basically forgot how to take care of them... and now i am thinking of getting another b/c a friend can't take care of hers.

MAYDAY

but i mean my last one i just kept in the house and let him run loose when i was home etc and fed him worms and veggies. that's normal right??

i had a box turtle once, him and his bigger brother (probably unrelated) dug holes in the ground and never came back.

so if he/she ever starts digging a serious hole they probably won't be coming back.

hm well i live in brooklyn so i wouldnt bring it outside except maybe to scratch around on the sidewalk in the front "yard" or something.
so like, when i keep the turtle in my house dudes, i hear it's like OK just to put them in a biigggg tub with a bowl of water etc?? and a box to hide in, and then when i come home i can let dude out to hang???

i just dont want to screw up and like, have the turtle HATE ME FOREVER because turtles live for a long time, and living with turtle hate is NOT my idea of a good time. :(

when i lived in the desert we'd find these giant turtles moseying down the street and we'd rescue them from getting hit by one of the 6 cars that drove by every day.

i have lots of pictures, they were pretty big dudes. i mean not big sea turtle big, but big "whoa i'm 3 years old and look at the size of that thing!" big.

when jodi was in nursing school & lived in a dorm room, they had a mouse that got caught in a trap. she thought it was cute or something and decided to nurse it back to health. she bandaged up its little broken leg and everything, and kept it in a shoebox with food & water. one day she left for class, came back and it had tripped on the bandage and fallen face first into the cap of water and drowned.

much like the time i had a beta left over from a biology experiment and kept it alive for several months. i went on vacation for 1 week, and my mom decided it needed a hose for air so it could breathe better. it got trapped in the air hose and couldn't get to the surface TO BREATHE. "Kill with kindness" is like a family motto.

also, i was wondering where in brooklyn you would find a box turtle. i always thought those were just turtles you found in the yard- which you don't really have many of in brooklyn, right?
but a friend's turtle would make sense too.