Hi, my name is Glenn and I enjoy the new Five Finger Death Punch...

Funny, I have found myself listening to Sirius Octane station in my car a lot recently since Hair Nation and The Boneyard play the same songs over and over and over. I've found myself enjoying AX7 and 5FDP.

I had given up my XM subscription following the merger but I was enticed back for $5 a month. Would it kill them to play something off the beaten path like Helix, Rough Cutt, House of Lords or Y&T more than once every 2 weeks?

I bought a new car back in March, and it included 3 months of free XM/Sirius radio. I used to have XM back in the day when I got it installed aftermarket in a vehicle I had two cars ago and really loved it. Unfortunately, as you have seen, it seems to get more stale, especially after the merger. I tried it again with the new vehicle and see how it was. I let the 3 months die out and not bothered to continue, despite them constantly pestering me with junk mail and phone calls to get me to continue.

One really cool thing with the new vehicle is that I could actually rip CDs directly into the system (it says it has a capacity of some 2,800 or so songs), in addition to just jacking in my 160-gig iPod classic via its USB port, or just using Bluetooth to my iPhone and listening that way, plus there is always the good old-fashioned CD itself. With all those ways to get music into the system, I don't even need the radio anymore. Now, if XM/Sirius would have a dedicated power/prog metal and/or prog rock station, then I would be on it in a heartbeat. Years ago, they used to have a station called The Lab that was dedicated to prog rock and jazz fusion, plus they did play prog metal on there from time-to-time (for example, I've heard Dream Theater on there quite a bit), but they got rid of that station. Pissed me off to no end as that and The Boneyard where the main stations I listened to.

Anyway, to get back on the topic at hand, I went and checked out that clip that Glenn posted at the head of this thread. I did not go into it with much expectation as I don't care much for the style (even though I do have a couple of Disturbed albums), but I really ended up quite enjoying it. May just have to go check the album out at least for S&Gs. BTW, for those that dig this kind of stuff, check out a band called Phonomik. As far as I know, Soul Creeper is the only album they put out back in 2010.

51xnIBJ83lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Basically I agree with the Bro Metal description. After 2 spins, this sounds to me like music that a douche would be listen to while standing on a house screaming "METALL!!" Most of it is, "Lets see how we can say multiple curse words and cliches in the meanest sounding way possible over guitar and drums."
Dude doesn't have a terrible singing voice, if he stuck with that I might be a little happier.

I also hate how they always get compared to Volbeat. I think they sound completely different. I call direct rip off:

1. Title of the album? Can we say rip off of Volbeat's second most recent record?
2. Volbeat gets cred for collaborations with famous metal musicians (King Diamond)? Lets get Halford= Rip off.
3. Collab with female musician (Sarah Blackwood,Pernille Rosendahl)? Check. Except Maria Brink makes me want to vomit violently on my keyboard.
4. A cover per album. I'll give you that "Bad Company" was marginally ok. But this rap cover is a turd, even with one of my favorite rappers, Tech N9ne.

Sorry for the rant, but this band consistently disappoints me, and gives metal a strengthened stereotype of being dumb.

Sorry for the rant, but this band consistently disappoints me, and gives metal a strengthened stereotype of being dumb.

Certainly music that's largely about zombies and unicorns motorcycles and gore and dragons and steel/iron/other literal metals is only suitable for the Mensa members of the world.

Certainly music that's largely about zombies and unicorns motorcycles and gore and dragons and steel/iron/other literal metals is only suitable for the Mensa members of the world.

Please point me to an album about zombies, because I'm seriously interested. And unicorn's motorcycles? SICK.

To clarify, I figured Bro = synonymous with douche. And by Bro, someone who is not really familiar with metal that wants to give the appearance that they are. Obviously, this excludes most members of this and arguably any metal forum.

I understand, sometimes you just want to slum it. Sometimes you want music that makes you want to punch through steel plates. And you're entitled to that.

If it honestly takes you more than five seconds to find any zombie references in metal, you are not a metalhead. Period. You are like a self-proclaimed "die-hard sports fan" who only follows NASCAR.

Dude doesn't have a terrible singing voice, if he stuck with that I might be a little happier.

When I unfortunately was forced to see them live, this is one thing that stuck out to me. Dude can actually sing, but he chooses not to most of the time and that seriously irritates me.

As for the Volbeat thing, I've never heard anyone say they sound like them. I can see some of your comparisons but still musically, they're no where near each other.

^ BOOM. That record is one of my all-timers.

Basically I agree with the Bro Metal description. After 2 spins, this sounds to me like music that a douche would be listen to while standing on a house screaming "METALL!!" Most of it is, "Lets see how we can say multiple curse words and cliches in the meanest sounding way possible over guitar and drums."

I also hate how they always get compared to Volbeat. I think they sound completely different. I call direct rip off:

1. Title of the album? Can we say rip off of Volbeat's second most recent record?
2. Volbeat gets cred for collaborations with famous metal musicians (King Diamond)? Lets get Halford= Rip off.
3. Collab with female musician (Sarah Blackwood,Pernille Rosendahl)? Check. Except Maria Brink makes me want to vomit violently on my keyboard.
4. A cover per album. I'll give you that "Bad Company" was marginally ok. But this rap cover is a turd, even with one of my favorite rappers, Tech N9ne.

Infinitely worse than "bros" (which makes me cringe when used as a pejorative) are people who pretend that metal is music for intellectuals.

One need only look at Spermswamp or one of their ilk to know that that assertion is laughable.

Wow. My ears just died. I think we need to get them on the wish list for next year.

Back to Zombies;
In my searches today, found "The Zombie EP" by Devil Wears Prada. I know 'core bands aren't loved up here, but it's a decent listen. Any Prog/Power zombie albums?

Back to topic;
Wikipedia just told me that Zoltan Bathory, guitarist of 5FDP, owns the Alphadog clothing company (UFC related). This gets them a couple more bonus points in my book.

I have always liked 5FDP. I got to see them in a small club two times before they blew up.

I kinda liked the idea that they were a bunch of cast offs from shittier bands, and they have found success. What was the ex-Wasp guy who was with em for the 1st album? If he was still with em would they be tr00?

Yeah they have a gimmick. But who doesnt? A grown man wears corpse paint and it's badass, dudes pose with hot chicks and cool cars and they are lame. I think Id rather the women and cars.

:kickass:

^ BOOM. That record is one of my all-timers.

Infinitely worse than "bros" (which makes me cringe when used as a pejorative) are people who pretend that metal is music for intellectuals.

I have to disagree there. As pretentious as metal fans can be, I'd rather be at a show with prog metal nerds than visor-wearing frat boys who'd be just as happy seeing Nickelback as Five Finger whatever. I'm less likely to get shoved, beer spilled or puked on by the guy in the Spiral Architect t-shirt.