High gain amp shootout

It's pretty fucking condescending in my opinion. Heeeey gearheeads!! We know you all suck and know shit all about amps, so go fuck yourself whilst watching real people play through these amps!!

Meh.

also they should let someone play something recognizable.
i mean its cool to listen to wankery but seriously,
i never understood how people could actually dive into the tone of an amp
by playing random stuff...
i mean they could test the amp for powerchords,
single notes, lead, arpeggios, tapping, legato, palm mutes whatever.
but playing nonsense will never make any amp shine...

i think the best way to compare amps is to have a great but easy riff di track
and send that thorugh different heads with the same cab and the same micing AND Loudness matched.

everything else is a waste of time.
+ one million that was some of the worst playing "wankery" Ive seen in a demo next to toneking, and using diff.cabs and such is just a waste, same conditions or dont do it!:yow:

Well, the shootout method sucked but I think you can notice the character of amps. I only listened to the VHT, the Orange and the Diezel so far, but the VHT, ops, Fryette, has the trademark VHT sound, and the Diezel has some very promising mid-gain tones. The hi gain tones all had too much gain IMHO.

6534.png

looks like misha approves of the 6534

^ I noticed that when he started chuggin on the low end, it sounded really fuckin ballsy, he then started to smile but was holding it in while bobbin' his head. I think he approves.

As others have said, it's hard to gauge anything from this, would have been nice to have some active pickups in there also. What's up with the trend towards passives lately?

Misha sounded great on the Diezel and Soldano IMO.

I'm cool with people having unique preferences to suit their tone, but it seems like lately a lot of people are jumping on the passive bandwagon just because. In many cases it just doesn't suit modern high gain riffing, it just sounds flubby and indistinct by comparison, especially for lower tunings.

It would have been cool if they had demoed each amp with say, EMG actives and Duncan passives, just for variety's sake and to get a feel for a fuller range of tones from each amp.

Sooner or later they're gonna realize their palm mutes sound like an elephant farting in a distant jungle and come back to the dark side.

Seriously, I thought there was something wrong w/ my hearing when I watched these. They seemed either too muffled sounding or like they had an old Boss distortion pedal on them or something.

I also wished that they'd just stuck to simple power chord riffing, something like Iron Man for instance, instead of the stuff they were playing.

Definitely agree w/ you on the palm mutes, they all sounded really bad. Don't know whether it was the amp settings or just sloppy technique, but the did sound pretty crappy.

I'm cool with people having unique preferences to suit their tone, but it seems like lately a lot of people are jumping on the passive bandwagon just because. In many cases it just doesn't suit modern high gain riffing, it just sounds flubby and indistinct by comparison, especially for lower tunings.

Exactly. For some mean sludge stuff or straight-up hard rock a set of nice passives are often just what the doctor ordered, but for modern high-gain metal tones they just sound like crap nine times out of ten. YMMV, but I've experienced this myself and A/B'd this to bands in the studio enough times to at least convince myself.

It would have been cool if they had demoed each amp with say, EMG actives and Duncan passives, just for variety's sake and to get a feel for a fuller range of tones from each amp.

I've tried actives, EMG 707s to be percise, at lower tunings, in this case A standard, and did not find them to be particularly impressive. No matter what I did, I could never get rid of that sterile sound or get them to anything other than plasticy.

As for these demos though, they really should have played a variety of different guitars, as well as using both passives and actives for comparison's sake. As it is, we get a 13 vids of tones that are pretty much the same.

Confused about this "hopping on the passives bandwagon" thing.
Someone enlighten me, because I wasn't aware there was some kind of bandwagon thing going on.

And mind you, I'm saying this as someone who plays guitars with active pickups 95 per cent of the time.

Confused about this "hopping on the passives bandwagon" thing.
Someone enlighten me, because I wasn't aware there was some kind of bandwagon thing going on.

And mind you, I'm saying this as someone who plays guitars with active pickups 95 per cent of the time.

Just have a quick look at the Sevenstring.org forums and see some of the NGD threads. Not much EMG love there anymore. It's all about BKP and what'sthatswedishguy'sname.