High gain amp shootout

I have noticed an increase in BKP usage. I was using them when they were just a fairly small company, and only UKers knew about them. Seems they are everywhere now. They're good quality pickups though, can't fault 'em really. imo.

Just have a quick look at the Sevenstring.org forums and see some of the NGD threads. Not much EMG love there anymore. It's all about BKP and what'sthatswedishguy'sname.

Most guitarists in general use passives, and 7 string guitarists are no exception to this rule.
I think it's more so people replacing their Dimarzios for BKP rather than people converting from EMGs to BKP.
There's still a ton of people using actives on SS.org and anyway, SS.org is hardly representative of the entire guitar community, there's probably about 0.000001 per cent of the world's guitarists on that forum.

Both times I've seen Petrucci live (once as a solo artist, once with DT), he sounded fine. Meshuggah's live sound was insanely tight and clear.

Joe Duplantier uses passives, and quite frankly The Way of All Flesh sounds better than every single mix posted on this forum ever.
Passives can quite easily do tight sounds, it's just a matter of properly matching pickups to the right body wood and in the case of the studio, having an engineer that knows his shit.
Also helps to have a great guitarist on board, and I can understand it probably sounds shit when 9 out of 10 guitarists are horrible anyway.

Passives can quite easily do tight sounds, it's just a matter of properly matching pickups to the right body wood and in the case of the studio, having an engineer that knows his shit.
Also helps to have a great guitarist on board, and I can understand it probably sounds shit when 9 out of 10 guitarists are horrible anyway.

This

I used EMGs for years (dont worry, this isnt an 'I saw the light, youre all wrong' story', just saying that so you know that I know them well) and now have BKs in all my guitars.

The downside: you really have to match the pickup to the guitar carefully. I've had the worst sounds I've ever had from BKs because they let a lot of the guitar through; the pickup and the guitar really strongly interact with each other. Its easy to throw in a pickup and write it off if it doesnt work (have done this before), but I've later heard the same pickup in another guitar and its been stellar. (I probably wouldnt get to do this if I wasnt a guitar tech; it happened with nailbombs in particular; I tried them in one of my guitars, it sucked, I was asked to install them in a customers guitar and it slayed, now ceramic nailbombs are one of my main pickups, in certain guitars).

EMGs will be very consistent from guitar to guitar. Theres some variation, but you know basically what youre going to get, because the pickup overrides the guitar to a large extent.

The upside; when you get that match, it can deliver the precision and tightness all day along (I've heard guitar and BK combos that are much tighter than EMG equiped guitars, both as played by me at least), but with the added advantage of more open sound to let complex chords breathe, and more dynamics.

The dynamics part, lack of compression, is where the player comes in. I've heard people play stuff on their EMG equiped guitars and its all even and consistent. Then I've heard them switch to one of my BK guitars and the subtley different ways they're playing different sections of a song come accross really clearly. You have to adapt to that, but its also there for you to use. Bit of a double edged sword, but only if youre dealing with a poor guitarist.

At the end of the day its all taste, and I like EMGs plenty, and they have the advantage that you know what youre going to get with them, but good passives *can* do it better, imo, if you get the right pickup/guitar combination.

Anyway, yeah, amps: lots of valid objections to the validity of the comparison here, but as they sound there, I liked the CLX first and by quite a long way, the 6534 second and nitrox 3rd. They had, or sounded like they could have in the case of the nitrox, a healthy balance of clarity and thickness and thunk. The others I was either ambivilent about or thought were outright dreadfull. The cobra, randall and H&K stood out to me as especially bad.

I didnt think the VH4, powerball or dual rec were terribly fair. I know all those amps pretty well (I have a PB 1), and the VH4 was similar to what I expect of it, but it can be a lot less woofy and wooly than that, the PB was dialled in to sound pretty much as bad as a PB can and the dual rec was clearly at low volume, and any fool know, you need to open those up quite a lot for them to not sound shit.

regarding the EMG vs passives thing:

i feel that EMGs really add their own sound to whatever guitar you put them in.
yes, they're tight, and they don't have a lot of lows/low mids which also improves mix clarity, but i feel that the right passive in the right guitar outperforms emgs 9 times out of 10.
the thing is, most mid level guitars don't sound all that great. they don't resonate particulary well, the sustain is meh, and the sound isn't as balanced as it could be. in these guitars, EMGs are the way to go imho. a 500 euro guitar with emgs will sound pretty good. not outstanding, but definitely decent and usable.
however, in a really good guitar that's made of great wood, i feel that EMGs are a waste of potential. passive pickups just let the character of the guitar shine through, which can be a bad thing with cheap ones, but is a great thing with good guitars.
passives just sound more open, have a wider frequency range, and enhance the character of the guitar, whereas actives are somewhat narrow and compressed sounding.

am i bashing emgs? fuck no, sometimes they're exactly what you need. at least with emgs you know what you'll get in a recording situation. with passives it can be much more tricky to find the right instrument for the style and tuning and playing, but if you use the right one it'll outperform the emg one by a mile as far as i am concerned.