High On Fire Headlining Tour

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
I believe High on Fire has been discussed from time to time on here. I've always wanted to see them, so it's good they're doing a headlining tour and with Priestess to boot. As for those other Chicago people, does anyone know anything about the Lincoln Hall venue. From what I've read, it seems like an odd place for a metal show, though from the pictures I saw it looks like it has potential.

Oakland, California-based power trio HIGH ON FIRE has premiered the eight-minute title track from its forthcoming album, "Snakes for the Divine", via SPIN.com. The song sees the band at the peak of its powers, injecting a progressive mien into its steamroller sound while guitarist/vocalist Matt Pike conjures symbols describing "venomous reptiles, night goats, ancient crimes and endless time."

When asked for comment on "Snakes for the Divine", Pike described the song as "A tale of the atmospheric union of alien crossbreeding with man's DNA and the creation of all Earth's religion by the reptilian agenda." He continued, "It will also kick your ass!"

HIGH ON FIRE has announced a spring U.S. headlining tour. The three-week trek will launch on March 31 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and will include support from PRIESTESS, BLACK COBRA and BISON B.C.

The dates are as follows:

Mar. 31 - Minneapolis, MN - Triple Rock Social Club
Apr. 01 - Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
Apr. 02 - Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
Apr. 03 - Columbus, OH - Skully's Music Diner
Apr. 05 - Morgantown, WV - 123 Pleasant St
Apr. 06 - Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church
Apr. 07 - Cambridge, MA - Middle East
Apr. 08 - Milford, CT - Daniel St
Apr. 09 - New York, NY - Gramercy Theater
Apr. 11 - Washington, DC - Black Cat
Apr. 13 - Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
Apr. 14 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
Apr. 15 - New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
Apr. 16 - Houston, TX - Walter’s on Washington
Apr. 17 - Austin, TX - Emo's
Apr. 18 - Dallas, TX - The Loft
Apr. 20 - Boulder, CO - Fox Theater
Apr. 22 - Tempe, AZ - Club House
Apr. 23 - Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre
Apr. 24 - Costa Mesa, CA - Detroit Bar
Apr. 25 - San Diego, CA - Casbah

"Snakes for the Divine" will be released on February 23 via E1 Music. The follow-up to 2007's "Death is This Communion" was recorded at The Pass Studios in Los Angeles with producer Greg Fidelman and is described in a press release as "HIGH ON FIRE's magnum opus, capturing every nuance of the legendary band's ongoing musical progression and evolution into one of heavy music's all-time greats. Sharper, faster and darker than anything the group has ever recorded, 'Snakes for the Divine' is an unrelenting tour de force, showcasing cult guitar hero Matt Pike's utterly unique and inventive musicianship and the band's epic, thundering sound. Premium production by Fidelman — the man who produced SLAYER's 'World Painted Blood' and is mixing the upcoming METALLICA live album — boosts HIGH ON FIRE's strength and power while blackened lyrical tales of ancient wars, frozen planets and doomed societies emerge from Pike's bellowing barks and throaty war cries. From the moment the leviathan-like title track explodes to kick off the album, it is immediately evident that HIGH ON FIRE is determined to push modern heavy metal into new and uncharted realms."

"Snakes for the Divine" can be pre-ordered at iTunes now. The pre-order version will include two bonus tracks; a live version of "Blood from Zion" (a song from the band’s 2000 release, "The Art of Self Defense") recorded at the 2009 Bonnaroo music festival as well as a demo version of the new track "Fire, Flood & Plague". The new album will also be a part of Best Buy's "Find 'Em First" program and will be a specially priced at $7.99 for a limited time. The version will exclusively feature three extra bonus tracks, including the new song "Mystery of Helm" plus live versions of the HIGH ON FIRE favorites "Eyes and Teeth" and "Cometh Down Hessian".

"Snakes for the Divine" track listing:

01. Snakes for the Divine
02. Frost Hammer
03. Bastard Samurai
04. Ghost Neck
05. Fire, Flood & Plague
06. How Dark We Pray
07. Holy Flames of the Fire Spitter
08. Mystery of Helm

The "Snakes for the Divine" album artwork, which can be viewed below, was brought to life by longtime HIGH ON FIRE cover artist Arik Moonhawk Roper.

Wow, April 2nd, crazy day in Chicago. I was already forced to choose between Ingrid Michaelson @ the Riv vs. Dillinger Escape Plan @ Reggie's (the metal show a tr00 prog fan should be going to!) Otherwise I might have checked this one out.

I've only been to Lincoln Hall once so far, but if it makes sense to rate something off one experience (it doesn't), I'd call it the best venue in the city. Maybe it was just because the band I was seeing (Russian Circles) always sounds excellent, but the sound was just about the best I've ever heard anywhere. And they're metal, and went over just fine; it was pretty much full. The whole place is brand new, it's simple but classy, and I'm really looking forward to going there again (Tortoise on 2/20, Califone on 3/10, and Red Sparowes on 4/21).

Neil

Wow, April 2nd, crazy day in Chicago. I was already forced to choose between Ingrid Michaelson @ the Riv vs. Dillinger Escape Plan @ Reggie's (the metal show a tr00 prog fan should be going to!) Otherwise I might have checked this one out.

I've only been to Lincoln Hall once so far, but if it makes sense to rate something off one experience (it doesn't), I'd call it the best venue in the city. Maybe it was just because the band I was seeing (Russian Circles) always sounds excellent, but the sound was just about the best I've ever heard anywhere. And they're metal, and went over just fine; it was pretty much full. The whole place is brand new, it's simple but classy, and I'm really looking forward to going there again (Tortoise on 2/20, Califone on 3/10, and Red Sparowes on 4/21).

Neil

That's not good that Dillinger and High on Fire are competing with each other. Both bands are great, though if I were to pick one I would pick HoF just simply because I'm more familiar with their material.

I've been meaning to get into Russian Circles but for some reason I keep procrastinating. Tortoise, huh? They're a pretty interesting band actually.

Good to know about Lincoln Hall. It's interesting how ever since Pearl Room has closed down that a lot of these tours don't really know where to book themselves in the city.

I certainly wouldn't expect someone who actually thinks that Angra rules to appreciate High on Fire.

Bottom line, if you are not a fan of Motorhead, Slayer, or Venom, you will not be a fan of High on Fire. HoF is pretty much a tribute to those three bands.......period.

HoF are amazing live.
Ironically the one time I saw them, Russian Circles were on the bill.

I have heard nothing but good things about Lincoln Hall.
Not terribly crazy about this lineup, so I am 50 / 50 on this one, given all the other great shows coming around this year.

I certainly wouldn't expect someone who actually thinks that Angra rules to appreciate High on Fire.

Bottom line, if you are not a fan of Motorhead, Slayer, or Venom, you will not be a fan of High on Fire. HoF is pretty much a tribute to those three bands.......period.

HoF are amazing live.
Ironically the one time I saw them, Russian Circles were on the bill.

Well, the funny thing is that I do like some Slayer and Venom. Never really cared for Motorhead. But honestly dude, I think I have a pretty wide musical appreciation, so the fact that I love Angra doesn't necessarily make it true that I wouldn't like HoF. I don't think it's black and white like that.

That's not good that Dillinger and High on Fire are competing with each other.

Yeah, but they're both at relatively small places, so I don't think either of them will end up playing to a half-empty room. It's Ingrid Michaelson I feel bad for, she's gonna lose 3/4s of her audience to Dillinger and HoF. :loco:

As a local, you should stop procrastinating and check out Russian Circles, I think they're the best Chicago metal-related band going today. Though, their latest ('Geneva') is a bit lame, so you might want to head towards 'Station' or 'Enter'.

I'm taking my own advice and going to see Tortoise, because I've always procrastinated and never gotten around to checking them out. And I wanted another excuse to go to Lincoln Hall. Though actually I'm more excited about opener Lichens.

There's really never been a "metal" venue in Chicago, and actually very few venues focus on specific genres. Bands played a variety of venues before the Pearl Room existed (Opeth/Nevermore/Angel Dust @ the Hard Rock Cafe!), so its demise doesn't really change that state of affairs. The biggest difference is that a lot of "Pearl Room bands" (aka "prissy euro-metal") used to play the Metro, but I haven't seen them go back there yet. Bands like Dillinger and HoF were never Pearl Room bands anyway, so the situation is exactly the same for them as it's always been.

Neil

They're playing the same MA venue as they did last time I saw them, but I might go in for a repeat anyway. They're just so awesome live. On the 2007 tour a really cool band called Radio Moscow opened for them, they were an old-school blues/rock band who did a Muddy Waters cover during their set. I haven't heard any of these opening bands, but why NOT check out some new stuff I guess? I purposely skipped the past few HOF appearances in MA because I wanted to wait for them to headline. So, here it is.

Well, the funny thing is that I do like some Slayer and Venom. Never really cared for Motorhead. But honestly dude, I think I have a pretty wide musical appreciation, so the fact that I love Angra doesn't necessarily make it true that I wouldn't like HoF. I don't think it's black and white like that.

I am just giving you junk.....
I have a wide variety of tastes too.
I am a huge POWER QUEST fan, in addition to all the doom and trad metal I am into.

Just ball bustin, as I could never get into Angra.

As I tell Diabolik, I thought Dream Theater was the lightest metal band on the planet, until I heard Angra.

Wasn't Nevermore the headliner on that tour?

Yep, good point. Stupid Google Docs can't sort my concert spreadsheet by date AND running order, so I just wrote them down in the order that seemed obvious. But of course that's the order that seems obvious *now*. It was a whole different story back then (2001-04-26, two months after ProgPower USA I).

So yeah, it was Opeth's first tour, on 'Blackwater Park'; they'd made their first US appearance 9 months earlier at the Milwaukee Metalfest (which also had US debuts from Anathema, Katatonia, and Children of Bodom). While Nevermore were the well-known veterans, having played the Chicago area 5 times(!) in an 8-month period in '99.

Neil