High On Fire Headlining Tour

I am just giving you junk.....
I have a wide variety of tastes too.
I am a huge POWER QUEST fan, in addition to all the doom and trad metal I am into.

Just ball bustin, as I could never get into Angra.

As I tell Diabolik, I thought Dream Theater was the lightest metal band on the planet, until I heard Angra.

Awww come on, lightest band on Earth? :lol:

I was just going to say you may be a depressed human being with all of the Doom you listen to. I was going to suggest a trip to Disney to make you feel better, but Power Quest may be just as happy. :lol:

High on Fire are awesome. I think they are one of Mastodon's biggest influences. I also hear some traditional doom in their sound (who wouldn't with Matt Pike at the helm)...even though you could hardly ever call them a doom band.

Then again, maybe I hear trad doom because of the old school blues-based rock stuff that doom metal and Motorhead/Venom share. Either way, it's there.

High on Fire are awesome. I think they are one of Mastodon's biggest influences. I also hear some traditional doom in their sound (who wouldn't with Matt Pike at the helm)...even though you could hardly ever call them a doom band.

Then again, maybe I hear trad doom because of the old school blues-based rock stuff that doom metal and Motorhead/Venom share. Either way, it's there.

They have a similar sound but come on! They both grouped at around the same time and while in the early stages sounded similar, they sound vastly different now.

I was just going to say you may be a depressed human being with all of the Doom you listen to. I was going to suggest a trip to Disney to make you feel better, but Power Quest may be just as happy. :lol:

I don't listen to drone doom dude!!!!!

Candlemass, Pentagram, Gates of Slumber, and Trouble aren't exactly "slit your wrist" doom!!! :loco:
(IE - Om, Sunn 0)))), Boris, etc)

I will be at Disney TWO times next month.

I know more about Disney than I probably care to.
(I have a 5 and a 2 year old!)

High on Fire are awesome. I think they are one of Mastodon's biggest influences.

Yep, all the Mastadon guys actually met at a HoF show, and immediately decided to start a band. I dunno, I never gave Mastadon a fair shot on disc. I have seen them twice on CD, and found them VERY lackluster. Everyone loves their latest.

I don't listen to drone doom dude!!!!!

Candlemass, Pentagram, Gates of Slumber, and Trouble aren't exactly "slit your wrist" doom!!! :loco:
(IE - Om, Sunn 0)))), Boris, etc)

I don't think Sunn 0)))) is "slit your wrist" doom. I'd say Sunn 0)))) is more for people who have trouble putting down the bong.

Yep, all the Mastadon guys actually met at a HoF show, and immediately decided to start a band. I dunno, I never gave Mastadon a fair shot on disc. I have seen them twice on CD, and found them VERY lackluster. Everyone loves their latest.

Could you share what you use to see a band on CD? :lol:

For you specifically Jason, I would start with "Remission" then work your way into the rest of Mastodon's catalog. For others, I might suggest a different album as a starting point.

I stand corrected. Interesting. I still find them to be drastically different bands.

Wasn't Nevermore the headliner on that tour? I recall they were touring for "Dead Heart In A Dead World" during this lineup. I thought that was Opeth's first US tour for the "Blackwater Park" album also.

It was indeed. Although Nevermore were the headliner, about half the audience left after Opeth finished their set here in Atlanta, and half of the remainder left during Nevermore since Warrel was having an especially "off" night.
Jim Sheppard commented later that the audience leaving after Opeth "had been kinda brutal" on the tour, but nowhere was it as pronounced as in Atlanta.....

The marquee at the Masquerade for that show was a classic. Remember that the upstairs room at the Masquerade is called "Heaven"...and someone had some fun at Angel Dust's expense:

Heaven
Nevermore
Opeth
Angel Lust
God Forbid

Not sure how Opeth figures in, but the rest of that is pretty much a story in the making! :lol:

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled High On Fire thread. :saint:

It was indeed. Although Nevermore were the headliner, about half the audience left after Opeth finished their set here in Atlanta, and half of the remainder left during Nevermore since Warrel was having an especially "off" night.
Jim Sheppard commented later that the audience leaving after Opeth "had been kinda brutal" on the tour, but nowhere was it as pronounced as in Atlanta.....

The marquee at the Masquerade for that show was a classic. Remember that the upstairs room at the Masquerade is called "Heaven"...and someone had some fun at Angel Dust's expense:

Heaven
Nevermore
Opeth
Angel Lust
God Forbid

Not sure how Opeth figures in, but the rest of that is pretty much a story in the making! :lol:

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled High On Fire thread. :saint:

Opeth figures in. I think so at least. What's with God Forbid? Were they actually at that show? If so, THEY are the odd man out.

High on Fire are awesome. I think they are one of Mastodon's biggest influences.
The guys from Mastodon met at a High on Fire show.

I've been spending a bit of time with these guys lately. If you can get past Pike's vocals (and I can certainly empathize with those who can't), there's some pretty kick ass riffing going on here. They're certainly not at instant listen. And not unlike good Prog Metal, shouldn't be approached as such.

I'm definitely interested in checking out their tour. These guys are road dogs and this music sounds like the type of music that really comes to life in a live setting. While I'm not overly familiar with Priestess and Black Cobra, both get a fair amount of love on StonerRock.com, so it seems like this is should be a quality bill.

Zod

I saw the Nevermore / Opeth tour twice in my area (Nevermore, Opeth, Angel Dust and God Forbid). To the best of my knowledge, that was Opeth's first tour. And while Nevermore was the headliner, it seemed Opeth was the bigger draw, even back then.

God Forbid was quite good live. Their frontman is a very cool guy. Hung out and had a beer with him (fellow Jersey boy).

Zod

Bottom line, if you are not a fan of Motorhead, Slayer, or Venom, you will not be a fan of High on Fire. HoF is pretty much a tribute to those three bands.......period.

Interesting. See, I really don't hear any Venom, but I would raise you Black Sabbath being a high (pun intended) influence for them.

I saw the Nevermore / Opeth tour twice in my area (Nevermore, Opeth, Angel Dust and God Forbid). To the best of my knowledge, that was Opeth's first tour.

It was indeed.

And while Nevermore was the headliner, it seemed Opeth was the bigger draw, even back then.

In fairness to Nevermore...well, see above. It was Opeth's first-ever US tour and their fans were really rabid to see them.

I got to see High on Fire at a shitty (but still strangely awesome) club in NC. They were fucking loud! And awesome. I really would like to see them again. They got a lackluster response at Gigantour b/c the kiddies loved themselves some Job for a Cowboy. Poser city, man!