Highlights of 2011's show

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
What was everyone's highlights of the first Annual Ragnarokkr fest from 2011.

for me it was...

-Skullview. I dont think anyone expected to see such an intense and great live set. While not playing many recent local shows these guys tore it up. They won over everyone who was there to witness it. Mike Quimby is one of the best front men in metal.

-getting to meet so many people I have only talke to online. Plus that great pizza place next to Bada Brew was fantastic.

-seeing Obsession play with Mike Quimby and James Riveria singing Long Live Rock In Roll by Rainbow. One of those cool things you get to see at fest such as this one that just happens.

I have many photos on my facebook all....just click the link on the bottom of my thing down here.

another hightlight that there was no mosh pits so you could stand up front without worrying about getting blindsided.

Plus it was easy for the people who enjoy meeting bands to meet any that were playing.

getting pretty much an exclusive private Cage show.

I am waiting for the day when Bob correctly spells James' last name!! ha!

Ragnarokkr will always be special to me since it was my first time performing live in over ten years. I will always be grateful to Mike and Chris for the opportunity.

As far as musical highlight, definitely Skullview. They killed it!

It actually happening and going so well after all the problems. Special thanks to the bands for taking charge while we were stuck.

That REALLY blew that you had to miss so much of Friday.

Seriously, next time, if something like that happens, just tell the band to hop in a cab and reimburse them. It would save a LOT of headache!!!!!

I don't have many highlights from either day since I mostly spent both days running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. But there are some:
-Not a highlight really but worth mentioning: Stopping Rob Thorne of Sacred Oath at the door and saying "Where's your ticket?", he says "I don't need one, I'm with a band." "What band?" "Sacred Oath". It's here that the penny finally drops. Me: "Ooooohhh, you're Rob Thorne! Yeah, come on in, put on this yellow wrist band." I'm an idiot.
-Missing the first half of Cage's set, but still rocking out with them for their last few songs, and singing King Diamond with Sean and Odin.
-James Rivera giving a shout out to all the hard working crew, wishing us luck, and just complimenting us in general.
-Going ballistic and yelling at Odin multiple times and having him laugh at me for overreacting. I don't handle stress very well.
-Arriving at the airport to pick up the rest of the Helstar crew (James had arrived the day before), and having the handle break on the tailgate of the van. Then I had to make one of them (I think it was Mikey) sit on the floor in the back with the instruments and Le Dao because there weren't enough seats.
-The learning experience. Odin and I had no idea what we were doing going into 2011 and had only came up with the idea and started planning in June. Boy were we delusional. 2011 taught us a lot of what to do and what not to do.
-Driving home on Sunday with a sense of pride for what we had just accomplished and what we had just started. I hope to be making these lists for many years to come. I hope they get longer with each subsequent year.

For me it probably was Helstar...which was the reason I went in the first place. Probably one of the most intense sets I've seen in a while. And of course, Skullview who I was REALLY unfamiliar prior made me into a big fan.

1) Being able to get there was the best thing for me. Away at college 2 hours south, had to find someone last second to drive me home. Then immediately getting into my car and driving back an hour south to get there.

2) Odin for hooking me up with a vintage Sacred Oath tour shirt even though I didnt have the VIP ticket. He gave it to me cuz of my troubles for getting there. You rock odin!

3) Watching Quimby, James, and Vescera sing Long Live Rock N Roll. (And Quimby was drunk as fuck for that haha)

4) Talking to Rob Thorne and Pete Altieri for over half an hour, and getting a bunch of kickass tour stories from them

5)James Riveria giving me a hug

6) All the great fans I got to meet and talk to, Chicago Jay was the only one who made a comment about my Spellcaster shirt.

7) Meeting and talking to Sean Peck and Michael Vescera.

8) The most important part: This great festival that only happens in the USA because of Odin and Thor. Those guys brought truely the best metal festival the US has ever seen, and they are about to be the best in the world after 2012. Keep it up guys, dont give up even if things look bad!