Favorite Ragnarokkr performances and worst

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
So what is everyones favorite performances and least favorite and why?

best -

Skullview - I didnt expect much out of them and they blew me away. Quimby's vocals were insane. Lot of fun and energy.

Skullfist - again..lots of fun and energy. Total hams on stage plus a great setlist.

Voltax - even with half the original band there and the rest fill ins...they still almost stole the show that day.

disappointment -

Blacksmith - for being the one to push Mike to book them. I was super disappointed at their set list. Didnt touch any of their classic material that was just released a few months prior to the fest. Instead they played newer chunky metal.

Virgin Steele - I waited over a decade to see them live. They were really good asides the fact you couldnt hear any vocals what so ever.

BEST:
Helstar - Flawless setlist and performance. Rivera ALWAYS kills live no matter what band he is in.
Skullview - Totally killed it. Such a shame they aren't an active band
Damien Thorne - Unlike some other bands who I will mention below, they proved that a good band will always be a good and solid band, regardless of time away and lineup changes
Wizard - Overall, I am not the fanboy as others are around here of them, but I have to give them props. They are exactly what a live metal band should be. They were very confident, and played as if they were playing to thousands.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:
Obsession - I admit to not being familiar with them until after they were announced. Scarred For Life is such a classic. Their performance came off as basically Mike Viscera and his hired guns. It didn't come off as a cohesive unit. I would be interested to give them a chance live again as what I have heard of their newer material was really solid
Brocas Helm - It kind of hurts to say this as jazzed as I was to see them. As cool as it was to see them, it came off almost like we were watching a Brocas Helm rehearsal. I don't think they even had a setlist, and it seemed like all weren't even totally prepared to play some of the tunes they did.

Best:
Helstar - One of the most intense sets I've seen that's for sure.
Voltax - Lots of energy.
Wizard - Haven't seen a solid power metal act like that in a while.

Worst: Blacksmith - I was thoroughly bored. At first I was pissed I missed the beginning of their set, but after just a few minutes, I wasn't regretting.
Degradation - I think this was the thrash band the first year. I found them awful.
Pharaoh - I dig this band, but like Pat said, it was a trainwreck, from the sound to the static performance.

Pharaoh had a lot of issues up on stage. From what a few of the band members were saying that they couldnt hear anything from the PA. So basically it was a mess from there. It didnt help that the singer had a laptop on stage and was reading lyrics from the PC on a few songs. They were far better and tighter at Alehorn a few years back. More co-heasive.

They bored the hell out of me. Just sounded like one, long continuous song.

Fair enough. I mean I am no raging fan by any means, but I thought they were ok. I thought their tune on the Warriors of Metal comp was pretty decent as well. With the continuous rise in popularity of thrash among younger metalheads, these guys could have made a good niche for themselves.

I mean, did you like "Windy City Wild Child" better??? :loco:

I was only at last year's fest, but the best for me was Skull Fist and Borrowed Time. Worst was Virgin Steele, and even that wasn't terrible. I didn't mind Pharaoh at all, and Blacksmith was good, but they picked the wrong setlist for sure.

Every band that played on Friday was a disappointment due to the fucking sound guys. It would have sounded better with nothing mic'd except the fucking vocals.

That being said, Blacksmith was super disappointing for the reasons that Bob pointed out. Despite the terrible sound Virgin Steele was fucking great. Brocas Helm was excellent as well. I kinda dig that "we don't know what the fuck we are doing" stage presence at times. I was also pretty sloshed during their set. I don't even remember seeing Wizard.

Every band that played on Friday was a disappointment due to the fucking sound guys. It would have sounded better with nothing mic'd except the fucking vocals.

That being said, Blacksmith was super disappointing for the reasons that Bob pointed out. Despite the terrible sound Virgin Steele was fucking great. Brocas Helm was excellent as well. I kinda dig that "we don't know what the fuck we are doing" stage presence at times. I was also pretty sloshed during their set. I don't even remember seeing Wizard.

I would disagree with this. Pharaoh and Virgin Steele sounded like shit, yes but the others. I mean, Voltax was awesome! Stone Magnum did a solid job as well.

Favorites:

Skullview - Amazing performance. Didn't know much of their stuff at the time, but after seeing them live they made me dig up a bunch of their stuff, now im in love.

Skull Fist - They just brought it. Great show man that love what they're doing and having fun doin it. Great showmanship to accompany great music.

Hessler - Never heard them before, but they just blew me away. Killer metal/hard rock. And Lariyah isnt bad on the eyes either.

Wizard - Have always loved these guys, and they put on a show for 1,000 people when there was only 30. Great setlist too.

Sacred Oath - Awesome, up front action!

Helstar - Riviera always brings it.

Michael Vescera, James Riviera, Earthquake Quimby - Long Live Rock N Roll. If you missed it, you suck.

Least favorites:

Degradation - Snooze fest.

Virgin Steele - it wasnt them, it was the sound guys fault.

Blacksmith - Just bored me.

Brocas Helm certainly seems like a goofy, "jammy" sort of band. Musically I don't think it suits them, but from what I've about the band members from the blokes in Slough Feg, it certainly makes sense

Brocas Helm are not an organized rehease and play a tight set band. They are definetly a loose band and just plays songs. They are not the type of guys to go and make a tight set and stuff. I know what Jason is talking about....they seemed unrehearsed and stuf but I think that is thier charm. While it makes for an uneasy live show. I think they work best on a smaller stage up close with the fans. I am seeing Deceased again in a few weeks and they will be at Reggies which has a higher stage and stuff. I wonder if they will be as good as they were at Red Line Tap where there is more closeness with the crowd since you are right up there.