Day 1 quick rundown

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
Holy Smokes!!!!! what a day.

First off...VOLTAX took the crown for greatest performance by a band in a long time for me. Pure energy. Plus they were missing 2 members and had fill in guys and they did not miss a beat. Everyone there loved them.

so far....

Stone Magnum - wow! with the new singer they really packa punch now. I have seen them two other times before each with different line ups. This by far is thier best line up. Really caught a lot of people off guard.

Borrowed Time - great live act. Crowd loved these guys. One of my favorite newer bands out there.

Blacksmith - really excited to see these guys. Lots of energy but set list wasnt the best pick. Why cover a Black Sabbath song when you have some classic songs you could have played instead?

A Sound of Thunder - missed most of the set because I had some of the best chicken in a while....I will post the full funny version of the story later. People really liked this band. Seemed like they have people there just for them.

Voltax - very few bands can pull off what they did live tonight. wow!

Pharaoh - would have been a great set if the Mojoe's sound guy knew how to do his job. Sounded all muddy and the guitars overtook everything. It was a wall of noise with no vocals.

Virgin Steele - I thought Pharaoh got shafted with bad sound. VS got it worse. Some of my favorite songs were pretty much unlistenable.

Pretty good turnout. Lots of fun and good people.

My only issues was with the sound guy.

The balcony drinking thing blows for bands because you have about 60 people up there just hanging out instead on the main floor watching the bands.

Also they need to get the raffle stuff out there. I will talk to mike and chris about getting the word out. It was all in the back corner and no one knew it was there.

great times and I look forward to day 2.

I will have to disagree with Blacksmith. I really like them on disc, but something about them live I just couldn't get into. I think part of it might be the bass and guitar player didn't have that much energy whereas the vocalist almost tried too hard. Don't get me wrong, they still played the songs well (even though like Bob said, not the best set list), I just think it could have been much better.

While Virgin Steele didn't have the best sound, I will have to disagree that it was worse than Pharaoh. Musically everything sounded fine, but it was hard to hear David's vocals in the mix; however, I thought by the last few songs you could (though it should have been done sooner).

Beyond that, I pretty much agree with Bob. I'd actually have to say that Stone Magnum was my second favorite of the night (probably would have been VS if the sound was better).

Yeah Voltax and Virgin Steele were the highlights for me even though I could barely hear any vocals. These bands still played their hearts out.

I was really looking forward to Pharoah but I could not hear anything. So sad. I think part of it might have been the stage right guitarist had his amp WAY TOO LOUD. I went up front and my ears were getting shredded by his crunchy guitar sound. I could only handle one song before I had to retreat further back. That and the singer had a teleprompter/computer screen which was kinda lame. If your the singer you should memorize the lyrics. He still messed up the lyrics anyways. Hopefully they can do another show sometime soon and do it right.

Borrowed Time was good as per the usual. They I thought had the best sound mix. I'm bummed I missed Stone Magnum.

I was really looking forward to Pharoah but I could not hear anything. So sad. I think part of it might have been the stage right guitarist had his amp WAY TOO LOUD. I went up front and my ears were getting shredded by his crunchy guitar sound. I could only handle one song before I had to retreat further back. That and the singer had a teleprompter/computer screen which was kinda lame. If your the singer you should memorize the lyrics. He still messed up the lyrics anyways. Hopefully they can do another show sometime soon and do it right.

Borrowed Time was good as per the usual. They I thought had the best sound mix. I'm bummed I missed Stone Magnum.

Amen to that Pat! If you're a singer, memorize the songs! I'm not hating on the guy, it just seemed odd and does take a bit away from the performance. I actually thought the few times I was able to hear him, he sounded better live than on disc though. I too would like to see them again but done proper next time.

Borrowed Time for me are what they are, but I just have a hard time taking them seriously due to the singer. I also just find all the songs sound exactly the same. It's great others dig them, they just do nothing for me.

I think Stone Magnun really shocked a lot of people. Dean said that they played more of the upbeat fast stuff at this show since it went well with the show formula. The singer really brings it all together for them now.

My only negative thoughts on Borrowed Time is the crowd they draw in....seems it is filled with people who just got into this type of music and they over do it with how they act and stuff.

I think the fest was run great. Bands moved on and off stage quickly and there were no real big troubles asides for the sound issues.

Agree with Borrowed Time...I just wonder if that's the same type of crowd Skull Fist will draw in.

Definitely one of the smoothest running shows I've been to that's for sure.

What was the turnout like?

Much better than last year, but still wish there were more; however, honestly it's hard to tell because it's a bigger place, some people at times were upstairs or outside. I now understand why some venues limit balcony with not enough ticket sales. Voltax had the largest crowd (and deservedly so) of the night.

it sucked for all bands. There was always about 60 people up in the bar / balcony at all times and about 20 more outside smoking. They kill it for any band who is playing because the main floor will always look empty.

Simon was right....Voltax had the largest crowd and were the best band of the fest this year hands down.

Bob's observations are spot-on (see, it can happen).

I have to wonder about some of the people who came to this thing. One guy in particular had the full-on patched vest and Maiden/Manilla Road tattoos, but spent the whole fest either smoking outside or at the bar, and in between he kept acting like a jackass on the stairs. I never once saw him actually watch a band. Is this the metal version of a hipster, where obscure back patches are enough to establish your credibility?

Bob's observations are spot-on (see, it can happen).

I have to wonder about some of the people who came to this thing. One guy in particular had the full-on patched vest and Maiden/Manilla Road tattoos, but spent the whole fest either smoking outside or at the bar, and in between he kept acting like a jackass on the stairs. I never once saw him actually watch a band. Is this the metal version of a hipster, where obscure back patches are enough to establish your credibility?

Justin....welcome to the world of metal hipsters in Chicago. That guy actually lives in Iowa I think. We get lots of these types here. Over compensation of trying way to hard. Now you get my agravation when I bring up hipsters and stuff.

Justin, yeah, that's exactly the guy.
Much to my dismay, he was sporting a MANILLA ROAD backpatch, which does not make this fanboy very happy.

I will never get those hipster types that think going to a show is all about getting loaded and nothing else.

Sure, the booze was upstairs, but come down and support the bands up front.
You don't have to get on the rail but at least come down to the floor.

Justin, yeah, that's exactly the guy.
Much to my dismay, he was sporting a MANILLA ROAD backpatch, which does not make this fanboy very happy.

I will never get those hipster types that think going to a show is all about getting loaded and nothing else.

Sure, the booze was upstairs, but come down and support the bands up front.
You don't have to get on the rail but at least come down to the floor.

I never got this as well. You pay good money to come to a show and then get so messed up you dont remember it. stupid.

I don't get that ideology either. I don't drink that much at shows. I might have one or two sometimes but that's it. It would suck to be wasted and either get thrown out for being too hammered or not remembering much of the performance. If you want to just drink, go to a fucking bar.