HM Women - where are they now?

Fangface said:
I've never heard that DP cover, which song is it?

Headline have recorded 3 albums and they're probably searching for a new record company at the moment since N.T.S. has just closed down.

http://escapeontheline.free.fr/ma.html
'The Battle Rages On' on a tribute called "Blackmore's Castle", I didn't even knew they were French (even with those names, I thought maybe Quebec :loco: ).

Thanks for the link ;)

SickBoy said:
You got me wrong, I didn't mean to bash those bands, I simply feel that SoundMaster missed my point in the original post. I don't have any problems with what someone likes, nor do I want to play the role of policeman here. It's just there's loads of these gothic/doom bands today and some 90% have female vocalists (and many of them are real beauties, yummy :Smug: ), but the women I was reffering to are more in the vein of those me and Burkhard mentioned...
I really like The Gathering and Nightwish!

No offence to you dude. I am happy you are making posts here. I was just simply stating that I know we have some fans of LC here that is all, and I consider them to be a really good band and well above the "typical" goth bands with the fem vocals.
Your intentions were actually dead on. This IS oldschool and in theory we should be talking about oldschool stuff which we do, but without talking about some of the better modern bands, this place would get stale and die out.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Your intentions were actually dead on. This IS oldschool and in theory we should be talking about oldschool stuff which we do, but without talking about some of the better modern bands, this place would get stale and die out.

Yes, I'm aware of that...
It's just that I was referring to the rare type of women in HM, just like those me and especially Burkhard mentioned. The wild ones, who really can sing, but with great dose of passion or aggression. That's the exact reason why I didn't mention Tarja or Angela Gossow, although I'm a fan of their respective bands.
One is an opera singer, the other growls... Somehow didn't fit into my intentions... :tickled:

Wyvern said:
'The Battle Rages On' on a tribute called "Blackmore's Castle", I didn't even knew they were French (even with those names, I thought maybe Quebec :loco: ).
HA, I should have known that you're still the Tribute king :D
Headline also did Pink Floyd (High Hopes), Queenrÿche (Silent Lucidity) and Judas Priest (Touch of Evil) covers.

Some other froggy female-fronted heavy metal bands :
- Mystery Blue, an old band from the 80s very influenced by Accept and Judas Priest, the new album is worth checking if you can stand those very high pitch vocals.
- Moonstone, less heavy but not bad, vocals could be better though.
- Crushing Blow, influenced by Warlock, I saw them live years ago, their vocalist looked like a fuckin' freak ahah. The funny thing I remember is that before their show and after a few beers I needed to go to the (mixed!) toilets badly but it was already occupied and I had to wait for quite a long time... 'cause their singer was taking a shit. After a while she left the room, yelling at me "enter in there if you dare!!". :lol:
Sorry for this "passionating" story...

SickBoy said:
The wild ones, who really can sing, but with great dose of passion or aggression.
Actually, I think that Madder Mortem´s vocalist Agnete M. Kirkevaag does sing with a lot of passion and aggression (one of the reasons why "Deadlands" made it to no. 2 in my personal playlist 2003), though the music is definitely a bit different from bands like (old) Chastain, Meanstreak or some other "old school" bands already mentioned. (As far as I could figure out, there aren´t any guitar solos on "Deadlands".)

Ok, here are a few more recommendations which might be in the vein of what you are looking for:

Sacrilege - "Behind The Realms Of Madness" (1986) (The first mini-album of this British band, on which vocalist Lynda "Tam" Simpson sounds a bit like Dawn Crosby´s little sister, though Dawn´s vocals are definitely more intense and powerful. The music is also a bit in the vein of "Recognize No Authority", so anyone who likes the latter might also like "Behind The Realms Of Madness", even though it´s not as good as "RNA". On the follow-up full-length album "Within The Prophecy" (1987), the music of Sacrilege became more epic, though there were still lots of thrash metal parts - just listen to the opener "Sight Of The Wise"!)

Phantom Blue - "Phantom Blue"(1989) and "Built To Perform"(1993) (vocalist Gigi Hangach definitely had a powerful voice and has to be mentioned here; the music was also powerful and aggressive, maybe a bit less raw and more melodic than Meanstreak; I think the band still exists, but the only remaining member from the releases I just mentioned is drummer Linda McDonald)

Mother Earth - "Transitions" (1994) (to my knowledge this is the only "album" - it´s just 7 songs with a total playing time of about 27 minutes - by another female band I never heard of again; a pity, since the music didn´t sound like you´d heard it a hundred times before; the vocals were not as powerful as those of Meanstreak´s Bettina France, yet definitely metal; I also liked the lyrics - as far as I understood them, unfortunately they weren´t printed down in the CD booklet)

Malteze - "Count Your Blessings" (1990) (if the music on this album doesn´t qualify as "old school", then I don´t know what else does; powerful heavy metal with the powerful female vox of Barbara Maltese; the best song on this album is definitely the title track; I don´t know what happened to this band and their vocalist, because I never heard of them afterwards; the reason why I didn´t listen very often to this album was probably that when it came out, I was much more into thrash/speed metal and complex stuff like Dream Theater, Watchtower, Sieges Even, Fates Warning)

Original Sin - "Sin Will Find You Out" (1986) (and another one of those female metal bands who released just one single album and then were never heard of again; the sound was not that impressive and the songtitles like "To The Devil A Daughter", "Bitches From Hell", "Succubus" and "Enchantress Of Death" already suggest rather clichéd lyrics, yet I really enjoyed this thrash metal album a lot and so might you as well - if you manage to get hold of a copy anywhere)

Carrie - "Secrets" (1986) (a German band; the music is a bit in the vein of early Warlock - would you confirm this, Greeno? -, some up-tempo stuff, some really nice guitar solos, maybe the voice of Annelen Middendorf sounds less powerful than Doro Pesch´s, yet there´s still a "healthy" dose of aggression; a shame that this band only released one album and was never heard of again:erk: , because IMO this album is at least as good as Warlock´s debut! To avoid any wrong impression: this does not mean that Carrie sounded like a Warlock-clone!)

Dreams Of Sanity - "Komödia" (1997) (not an "old school" metal band, but definitely metal with two powerful female voices and a good mixture of melody and heavyness; the best songs on this album are IMO the 9-minute piece "Komödia II - The Dream" and the nearly 14-minute epic "Komödia III - The Meeting"; just in case anyone should like to classify this album as "gothic metal", listen to The Third And The Mortal´s "Tears Laid In Earth" - the best gothic metal release IMO and the only one I listen to - to notice the difference! BTW, former Dreams Of Sanity-vocalist Sandra Schleret now sings in a band called Soulslide - the music reminds me somewhat of a heavier and a bit straighter version of Dreams of Sanity - and anyone who might be interested, can download their song "The Dreamer" from their official website www.soulslide.net, just click on "Stuff" and next on "Files".)

Those who liked the aggressive vocals of Chastain´s current vocalist Kate French, yet were dissatisfied with the somewhat repetitive songs on "Sick Society" and "In Dementia" and also missed the melodic side of the first five Chastain albums, should give Vainglory a try. As Fangface recommended them to me some time ago in another thread about female-fronted metal-bands, they have got to be "old school", haven´t they?;) I don´t remember the download-link to one of their songs, but in case Fangface should read this, he might be willing to help out.

Burkhard said:
Those who liked the aggressive vocals of Chastain´s current vocalist Kate French, yet were dissatisfied with the somewhat repetitive songs on "Sick Society" and "In Dementia" and also missed the melodic side of the first five Chastain albums, should give Vainglory a try. As Fangface recommended them to me some time ago in another thread about female-fronted metal-bands, they have got to be "old school", haven´t they?;) I don´t remember the download-link to one of their songs, but in case Fangface should read this, he might be willing to help out.
Here we go my friend :loco:

http://www.corbinking.com/01%20-%20Take%20Me%20From%20Tomorrow.mp3

It comes from their forthcoming album, the previous ones featured a male vocalist.

I'm going to quote two more:

Liz Buckingham - guitar (ex-13, Electric Wizard, Sourvein) I heard some samples of her bands. 13 was almos and all female outfit playing Doom/grind. Electric Wizard is doom/stoner, and Souveirn is more sludge/doom (both with male vocals). Is interesting to see how in a musical genre generally biased towards male dominancy, a woman was able to set her mark by her musical merits. Kudos to Liz.

Irena Bol - vocalist (STOS) The classical case of a female fronted male band from Poland. But Irena is not your sweet vocals girl not the Angela Gossow throat type. Strong, a bit raspy vocals, Irena gave a good performance (sung in Polish). The band have one album from 1990 in a thrash oriented way, people can downloaded (FREE) at http://steelwarrior.250free.com/mp3s.html

SickBoy said:
Anyway, I was just listening to great Velvet Viper album with fantastic Jutta Weinhold on vocals. This lady and a few other I'll mention later, really puts to shame most of the "power" vocalists...

Jutta used to sing in a band called Zed Yago before V.Viper was formed (mind you, VV's bass player was Lars Ratz, today a chief in Metalium) and, from what I've heard, she was much older than her bandmates (it seems so in the pictures on the album sleeve as well), but that didn't stop her from writing HM anthems. I hear she's singing blues in Hamburg clubs now...
You might be pleased to hear that she has just released a new album titled "From Heaven Through The World To Hell" and judging by the two samples (from the songs "MacBeth" and "Metamorphosis") I just downloaded, this doesn´t sound like blues to my ears, but it´s definitely metal! (Though maybe there´s some blues in the song "Blues Metal" - haven´t listened to this sample yet.) If you want to have a listen for yourself, just go to her website www.jutta-weinhold.de - there´s also an English version - and check the "sounds"-section.