Hmm, Craigslist...

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I listed my Stiletto cab for sale on Craigslist, and within 10 minutes got an email from a guy interested in "the item" - the exact wording was:

Is the item still available for sale and let me know if its still in a
perfect condition?

So I responded that yes, it's available and in great condition, and got this response:

Hi,
I really appreciate your response to my mail.I'm very interested in
purchasing the item from you and i will instruct my bank to issue out
a Bank Certified check to you.More so,i have a shipping agent that
will come for pick up of the item at your place upon you received the
confirmation of the check cleared from your bank.Kindly get back to me
with your Full Name,Contact Address including your Zip Code and your
Phone Number i can reach you on so that the payment can be mail out to
you.I will be looking forward to hear from you asap...

Thanks...

So I responded with the following

me said:
Hmm, alright, that seems ok, but you'll forgive me if I'm a bit
cautious, cuz this sounds a bit like one of those "Nigerian royalty" scams
(no offense, but the internet can be a sketchy place). How about you give
me your phone # and I'll call so we can discuss this further?

-Marcus

What sayeth you guys?

Well he can't spell 'cheque' properly, so I'm guessing it's a foreign national (that wasn't the only clue :) ), plus referring to the cab as 'the item' is a giveaway for a scripted bot.
I'd never accept a cheque as payment anyways...!

chances.jpg

Yeah Marcus, when I sold my Strat on Craigslist...I got soooo many emails referring to "the item". Once I read that, I just automatically hit delete.

i used to get that alot when i posted items for sale on CL, but not so much anymore. seems like they've been doing a good job of preventing it. but yes, total scam, just disregard.

not sure why someon above thinks CL sucks so bad. I've bought and sold a ton of things on there, VERY convenient when you dont want to ship (or cant like a 2x12 combo or 4x12 cab). in fact, i just sold nearly $500 worth of equipment in less than 3 days last week as i'm preparing to get an upgrade. and that was with a small profit, not garage sale giveaways.

Yeah, Marcus...that's a classic scam. Happens on ebay, craigs list, etc. Total "Nigerian Royalty" scam! Steer clear dude.

-Joe

Haha, ok, thanks for the lowdown guys - I'm a veteran ebayer, but totally new to CL (and it still sketches the bejeezus outta me honestly), so I'm glad my instincts served me well!

actually... the worst thing you can do is reply... now they have your email address (assuming you listed with the anonymous craigslist address in the first place) and hence forth begins the spamming... they may also try to hit your myspace page, facebook or anything else tied to that email address since they know that its not a dead email addy...

Just block his email address. I got one of those when I was trying to sell my JSX and I eventually told him he was a scam artist that needed to get a real job and blocked him. :) That did the trick. Good luck on selling the cab!